Front mounted baby carriers

Old March 15th 12, 09:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
sms88

Default Front mounted baby carriers

On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

snip

I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
child is doing at all tmes.

My next door neighbor has this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A
which attaches to the stem, not the top tube.

You want to install it on a bicycle with as long of a wheelbase as
possible. He's got it on a Schwinn city bike and it's crowded. His kids
have just about outgrown it as well, it's for babies, not toddlers.
Old March 15th 12, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ben Pfaff

sms88 writes:

On 3/14/2012 10:33 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
child is doing at all tmes.

My next door neighbor has this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A which attaches to the stem, not
the top tube.

I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
least two different owners. When I ask the owners about them,
they say that they like them. (I know that it's this brand
because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

I haven't used anything like this myself.
--
"Now I have to go wash my mind out with soap."
--Derick Siddoway
Old March 15th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:34:22 -0400
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars?

Answering a question you didn't ask (but this is Usenet, right?), there
is a European Standard that includes such seats, with dimensions, strength
requirements, etc. EN 14344:2004

If you want to see it but can't get a copy let me know.

Mike

Old March 15th 12, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Ben Pfaff wrote:

sms88 writes:

My next door neighbor has this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A which attaches to the stem, not
the top tube.

I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
least two different owners. *When I ask the owners about them,
they say that they like them. *(I know that it's this brand
because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
have been no complaints (and almost no sales).

Chalo
Old March 18th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 3/15/2012 5:13 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
Ben Pfaff wrote:

sms88 writes:

My next door neighbor has this one
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048MB82A which attaches to the stem, not
the top tube.

I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
least two different owners. When I ask the owners about them,
they say that they like them. (I know that it's this brand
because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

My shop has those. The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". There
have been no complaints (and almost no sales).

Chalo

Duct tape the infant in place?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old March 18th 12, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Ŧőɱ Ƨħəɍʍɑƞ wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

Ben Pfaff wrote:

I've seen babies and toddlers in these in my neighborhood, at
least two different owners. *When I ask the owners about them,
they say that they like them. *(I know that it's this brand
because they mentioned that they were called "iBert".)

My shop has those. *The sales rep calls them "baby launchers". *There
have been no complaints (and almost no sales).

Duct tape the infant in place?

That's what I suggested a couple days ago! Obviously good solutions
are obvious, see:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...2fe5e8034f7681

Chalo
Old March 20th 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
James[_8_]

On 15/03/12 02:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars?

I saw a different kinda tandem last night. The child was sitting up
front, with pedals and seat appropriately configured for his size, and
the adult stoker had steering control.

Not sure how the steering linkage worked, but they were upright on two
wheels, so presumable it "worked" well enough.

Technically, there was a youngster (perhaps you wouldn't call him a
baby) between the rider and the front set of handlebars ;-)

--
JS.
Old March 20th 12, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 19, 11:14*pm, James wrote:
On 15/03/12 02:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars?

I saw a different kinda tandem last night. *The child was sitting up
front, with pedals and seat appropriately configured for his size, and
the adult stoker had steering control.

Not sure how the steering linkage worked, but they were upright on two
wheels, so presumable it "worked" well enough.

Technically, there was a youngster (perhaps you wouldn't call him a
baby) between the rider and the front set of handlebars ;-)

Interesting! As Mr. Fogel can probably show, that configuration or
something similar was quite common in 1890s tandems. Back then, it
was apparently polite to let the woman be in front. Yet the strong
male had to have control.

Seems like it would have some advantages. For example, male captains
are typically taller than female stokers. So the female stoker gets
an excellent view of the captain's back. Put her in front, and in
many cases, both could see ahead. Also, the higher torque of the
captain would be better resisted by the frame if it were applied to
the rear bottom bracket.

But the couple I'm asking for isn't likely to get a custom designed
bike to carry their kid.

Oh, and speaking of stokers: Check out "Shovelin' Coal" at
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/NewsAnd...BikePoetry.htm

- Frank Krygowski

Old March 20th 12, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
James[_8_]

On 20/03/12 15:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Mar 19, 11:14 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not custom!

http://www.browncycles.com/tandems.htm

http://www.browncycles.com/KidzTCustomerPics.htm

--
JS.

Tow ball mounted carriers Grumps UK 27 September 7th 08 09:30 AM
Rear Mounted Carriers marts UK 5 June 28th 05 01:30 PM
Rear Mounted Carriers Peter Taylor UK 0 June 24th 05 11:17 AM
Baby/Child Carriers Hugh Spicer UK 4 January 30th 05 10:33 PM
Roof Mounted Bike Carriers Simonb UK 3 December 17th 03 05:22 PM