A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Walking a bicycle into a store



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 11th 12, 04:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Simon Mason[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,242
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 9, 11:11*am, NM wrote:

Banning of cycling on a railway platform for example is not to
discriminate against the disabled it's to avoid possible loss of
control which could have disasterous consequences for both the rider
and innocent bystanders plus considerable expense for the rail company
in legal fees.


I wouldn't dream of cycling along a railway station platform - on the
many times I have taken my bike on a train I have pushed it through
the concourse and along the platform to the waiting train.

--
Simon Mason
Ads
  #2  
Old April 12th 12, 05:57 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Doug[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,104
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 11, 4:34*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
On Apr 9, 11:11*am, NM wrote:



Banning of cycling on a railway platform for example is not to
discriminate against the disabled it's to avoid possible loss of
control which could have disasterous consequences for both the rider
and innocent bystanders plus considerable expense for the rail company
in legal fees.


I wouldn't dream of cycling along a railway station platform - on the
many times I have taken my bike on a train I have pushed it through
the concourse and along the platform to the waiting train.

That is because you obviously do not suffer from a walking disability
and so do not realise how painful having to walk with a bike along
lengthy platforms and large concourses can be.

Doug.

  #3  
Old April 12th 12, 06:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
NM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,854
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 12, 5:57*am, Doug wrote:
On Apr 11, 4:34*pm, Simon Mason wrote: On Apr 9, 11:11*am, NM wrote:

Banning of cycling on a railway platform for example is not to
discriminate against the disabled it's to avoid possible loss of
control which could have disasterous consequences for both the rider
and innocent bystanders plus considerable expense for the rail company
in legal fees.


I wouldn't dream of cycling along a railway station platform - on the
many times I have taken my bike on a train I have pushed it through
the concourse and along the platform to the waiting train.


That is because you obviously do not suffer from a walking disability
and so do not realise how painful having to walk with a bike along
lengthy platforms and large concourses can be.

Doug.


They have balanced your pain against general public safety, your pain
lost, tough, make some other arrangements instead of whingeing.
  #4  
Old April 14th 12, 12:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dr6092
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 268
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 12, 5:57*am, Doug wrote:

That is because you obviously do not suffer from a walking disability
and so do not realise how painful having to walk with a bike along
lengthy platforms and large concourses can be.


Of course, in most peoples' view only super athletes can ride a
bicycle and isn't something for ordinary people like them. So it must
be impossible to imagine that it is suitable for someone with physical
problems.

I agree that a bicycle is far easier to manage while being ridden (at
walking pace) instead of being walked. I am able to walk so respect
local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.
  #5  
Old April 14th 12, 03:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
NM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,854
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 14, 12:05*pm, dr6092 wrote:
.. I am able to walk so respect
local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.


Why? Cycles being ridden amongst pedestrians could result in damage or
injury to a pedestrian if the rider lost control for whatever reason,
thus for safety of pedestrians it's banned, what is nonsensical about
that?

  #6  
Old April 14th 12, 05:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,223
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On 14/04/2012 15:17, NM wrote:

wrote:


I am able to walk so respect
local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.


Why? Cycles being ridden amongst pedestrians could result in damage or
injury to a pedestrian if the rider lost control for whatever reason,
thus for safety of pedestrians it's banned, what is nonsensical about
that?


Only that it doesn't suit Doug or dr6092 to be asked to think of others.
  #7  
Old April 14th 12, 06:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dr6092
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 268
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 14, 3:17*pm, NM wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:05*pm, dr6092 wrote:
. I am able to walk so respect

local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.


Why? Cycles being ridden amongst pedestrians could result in damage or
injury to a pedestrian if the rider lost control for whatever reason,


Loss of control can happen while walking it.

thus for safety of pedestrians it's banned, what is nonsensical about
that?


Why did you snip "...a bicycle is far easier to manage while being
ridden (at walking pace) instead of being walked."?
  #8  
Old April 14th 12, 06:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dr6092
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 268
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On Apr 14, 5:41*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 14/04/2012 15:17, NM wrote:
*wrote:


I am able to walk so respect
local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.


Why? Cycles being ridden amongst pedestrians could result in damage or
injury to a pedestrian if the rider lost control for whatever reason,
thus for safety of pedestrians it's banned, what is nonsensical about
that?


Only that it doesn't suit Doug or dr6092 to be asked to think of others.


Another one with comprehension failure.
  #9  
Old April 14th 12, 07:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Simon Mason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,174
Default Walking a bicycle into a store



"dr6092" wrote in message
...


I agree that a bicycle is far easier to manage while being ridden (at
walking pace) instead of being walked. I am able to walk so respect
local custom in pedestrian areas but the idea that is for safety
reasons is total nonsense.


Agreed - however in order to stay within the law, on the only bit of
pavement on my commute that I use as a short cut, I will dismount and walk.
It means that I have a much bigger presence when I pass an oncoming
pedestrian and get in their way more, but at least I am obeying the letter
of the law.
--
Simon Mason
  #10  
Old April 14th 12, 07:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
jnugent
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,223
Default Walking a bicycle into a store

On 14/04/2012 19:01, Simon Mason wrote:

... in order to stay within the law, on the only bit of pavement
on my commute that I use as a short cut, I will dismount and walk.
It means that I have a much bigger presence when I pass an oncoming
pedestrian and get in their way more, but at least I am obeying the letter of
the law.


You have a big presence, do you?
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.