New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at theirPhones

Old July 18th 16, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at theirPhones

On 18/07/16 05:39, sms wrote:
On 7/17/2016 3:48 PM, wrote:
Its that PokeMon Go thing I have heard about. NPR Nightly Business
Report had stories about it this week. Stories were about how to make
money from it. The great American dream. Making/taking money from
idiots. Wonderful.

Trails where I live do not have too many walkers. Trails are sort of
away from the populated areas and it would take a lot of effort for
walkers to get on them. Few trails near downtown where you do have to
watch for pedestrians. But even those trails are not right next to
the buildings. 1/2 mile away across the river.

Outside my office is a trail, but there's a little creek separating the
trail from our parking lot. There are a bunch of Pokemon's on the trail.
The CEO jokingly suggested that we drop everything and construct a
little bridge over the creek so employees can reach the Pokemons. It's
only about 12 feet across so a few 2" x 4" x 16' boards would do it,
plus a some supports that won't sink into the mud.

Then you'd only get someone like me that would saw halfway through the
timber :-)

Old July 18th 16, 09:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 19:42:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:39:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:02:34 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:09:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Think of it as Darwin's theory in action, "a branching pattern of
evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in
which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the
artificial selection involved in selective breeding."

Natural selection doesn't work when the govenment supports mostly the
failures at the expense of the successful. Your purpose in life is to
consume, pollute, and over-populate. Failure to do any of these is
punished by society but aided by government.

The intelligent and alert of the species get to breed while the "Num
Nuts" don't. :-)

There are apps for the unintelligent and distracted:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dating%20apps

The meek shall inherit the earth. I think they already have.

I don't think it is the meek.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/meek
Something about a nation of sheep.

Herbert Spencer wrote:
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to
fill the world with fools."

Fools are another class of people that may not benefit from
protection. The same can be said for medicine, financial aid,
unemployment, killing bugs, etc. All we've done is created a
civilization full of medical liabilities, permanently impoverished,
perpetually unemployed/unemployable, super bugs, etc. However,
civilizations are judged somewhat on how they treat their
unfortunates. I don't think anyone wants to resurrect the Spartan
methods of improving the general health and welfare of the population.
So, we live with a subclass of fools etc, and only deal with the
problem when it becomes too expensive.

While I am fairly sure that Spencer was referring to the mentally
"slow" when he said that but I am equally sure that if he'd been shown
a person with the level of debt that the "average" Usian has today
he'd have, straight away, added that to his "fool" category.

Reading the Internet it seems Old Herbie may well have gotten it right
:-)

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people
all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
(Abraham Lincoln).
He was wrong. You can fool all the people all the time by simple
repetition. The internet and the advertising business have done a
wonderful job of proving that. All one needs to do is repeat the same
lies over and over and eventually they become facts. Eventually, the
sources become obscured by evolutionary repetition (where things
change slightly as they are repeated).

Certainly. Dr. Joseph Gobbels proved that.

Shielding everyone from the effects of their own mistakes also has the
effect of causing people to become careless and reckless. I have
insurance so I can drive my car like a maniac. If I get hurt, someone
else will pay the bills. My credit card is insured so I don't need to
worry about security. All this creates more fools out of otherwise
normal people.

Much of this is based on the observation that people tend to trust
things they do NOT understand. If they know how something works or
operates, they tend to know its limitations and only trust it so far.
However, if the mechanisms and operations are completely unfathomable,
they will prefer to trust it, even though they are suspicious. Well,
that's a fair description of government, banks, stock market,
insurance, modern medicine, and most financial instruments. Trusting
something that one does not understand is my definition of a fool.

But, I would have to ask, why don't they understand? After all the
financial institutes you describe are, essentially, rather simple
operations. After all, "1% interest, monthly, on the unpaid balance"
is pretty simple, as is "five today for seven on payday".

I think I would alter your definition just a bit. If one has something
that is of vital importance and they make no attempt to understand
even the underlying facts, terms, operation, what have you, then they
are pretty foolish but the fact that you, for example, may very well
not understand the detailed intricacies of, say the fuel injection on
you car, does not make you foolish.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 18th 16, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 at 6:09:07 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On 16 Jul 2016 19:33:15 GMT, Peter Gordon petergoATnetspace.net.au
wrote:

It's an app called Pocomon GO.
http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...es/pokemon-go/

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-server-crash-
niantic-europe-us

Here in Australia it has become a problem with people
walking onto roads without looking.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html
Old July 18th 16, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 12:26:00 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 17/07/16 12:25, somebody wrote:

Get a cheap bell. Or a horn. Those pump-up horns are loud enough.

My AirZound has claimed three phones :-)

Only? Must be a slow week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkBHGurj-I
Old July 18th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

WE WILL SOLDIER ONWARD .....

Old July 18th 16, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 3:43:50 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
WE WILL SOLDIER ONWARD .....

'Is this real life? This particular "why" is just ridiculous. A #Floridaman in Palm Coast shot at two teenagers in a car outside his house around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. The teens were playing Pokemon.

Here's what happened. The homeowner awoke to noise outside his house. He sees the car. He goes outside with a gun. The teens speed off, and he shoots at the car. The next day, one of the kids' moms finds bullet holes in the tire and calls the police.

The investigation is ongoing. However, something tells me a rare Pikachu was involved.

No one was hurt. Phew.'

FLA TODAY mulling earthquakes vs violence.
Old July 18th 16, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

And a new generation of bike thief.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/2...h_pokemon.html

Pokemon Go: Upstate NY woman accused of stealing boy's bike to catch Pokémon

By Geoff Herbert
on July 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM, updated July 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Gotta catch 'em all? An Upstate New York woman has been caught trying to do just that.

The Democrat & Chronicle reports Brandi-Lyn Heidenreich, 26, is accused of stealing a 13-year-old boy's bicycle while playing Pokémon Go. The Genesee County Sheriff's Office said the she took the bike from behind a North Main Street business in Oakfield, N.Y., and rode it to her nearby home on Thursday.

Heidenreich was later found walking around the area. Deputies said she "took the bicycle so she could get around faster playing Pokémon Go."

continued
Old July 19th 16, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 5:30:08 PM UTC-4, Mike A Schwab wrote:
And a new generation of bike thief.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/2...h_pokemon.html

Pokemon Go: Upstate NY woman accused of stealing boy's bike to catch Pokémon

By Geoff Herbert
on July 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM, updated July 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Gotta catch 'em all? An Upstate New York woman has been caught trying to do just that.

The Democrat & Chronicle reports Brandi-Lyn Heidenreich, 26, is accused of stealing a 13-year-old boy's bicycle while playing Pokémon Go. The Genesee County Sheriff's Office said the she took the bike from behind a North Main Street business in Oakfield, N.Y., and rode it to her nearby home on Thursday.

Heidenreich was later found walking around the area. Deputies said she "took the bicycle so she could get around faster playing Pokémon Go."

continued

BUT SHE DIDN'T KNIFE THE KID RIGHT ?

so whats the big deal ?
Old July 19th 16, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 07-17-2016 21:42, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
He was wrong. You can fool all the people all the time by simple
repetition. The internet and the advertising business have done a
wonderful job of proving that. All one needs to do is repeat the same
lies over and over and eventually they become facts. Eventually, the
sources become obscured by evolutionary repetition (where things

I think not. How many decades has the "don't eat fat" myth been
spouted? And yet there are still large numbers of us who have read the
actual medical research that proved otherwise long ago.

--
Wes Groleau
Old July 19th 16, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 07-18-2016 10:01, Joerg wrote:
On Monday I had a kid on a BMX bike barreling down a hill on a bike path
at high speed, both hands off the handlebar and on his cell phone,
staring at its screen.

Laws in Toronto explicitly prohibit riding a bicycle while using any
device that prevents you from having both hands on the handlebar.

Yet I was tempted to violate that rule in order to take a video of a
policeman pedaling down a busy street, thumbing away on a phone that he
was staring at. With another policeman alongside choosing not to write
him a ticket.

--
Wes Groleau