Harnett County bicyclist hit by car, killed...

Old July 29th 16, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default Harnett County bicyclist hit by car, killed...

THE CHASE CONTINUES INTO ARIZONA where the perp parked the Jag, hijacked a Ford Apache, raped the driver an old woman of 72 and her daughter Sparkle after feeding them oxy and goofballs.

The perp dropped the pair off at a local bar n headed to NM with their cash n credit cards.
Old July 29th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2013...master1050.jpg
Old July 29th 16, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-07-28 12:17, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/28/2016 1:32 PM, Joerg wrote:

Rare? Happens all the time. Here is the recent one from our area:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e85739372.html

As I recall, I asked for details to corroborate your "all the time"
claim. The request got nowhere.

California gets about 100 to 125 bike fatalities per year, which is more
than any state. But California's a big place. I find that El Dorado
county, where you seem to live, had a total of 8 bike fatalities between
1991 and 2007. That's an average of one every two years or so; and
there's no indication that all those were hits from behind. (Typically,
about half of bike fatalities are caused by the cyclists, not the
motorists - things like wrong-way riding, no lights at night, violating
right-of-way, etc.) Of motorist-caused fatalities, some are hits from
behind, but some are left crosses, stop-sign runners, etc. We might be
down to two or three hit-from-behind fatatalities in 17 years, or
perhaps one every five years.

So a hit=from-behind fatality every five years? That's not "all the
time."

It's the _fourth_ _this_ year in our area and we have July.

OK, so where are the reports on those? We've been talking about this
stuff for months.

If I were claiming lots of struck-from-behind murders here, I'd post a
link regarding each one as it happened. Why haven't you done the same
for all those murders in "your area"?

As it is, your claims - as always! - seem very inconsistent with data
available through normal channels. It's like you're in some parallel
universe.

If you increase the size of what you call "our area" you'll naturally
be able to point to more hit-from-behind fatalities. But to get up to
"all the time" status, you'll have to pretend that the entire state of
California is what you mean by "around here."

As I have written several times "our area" means the Sacramento region
where I ride.

And the "Sacramento region" extends how far from you?

Nonetheless, I'm not finding evidence that "your area" is particularly
dangerous. If you've got real data, real evidence, why not post it?

BTW, this guy says that Sacramento County is quite safe for cyclists:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=15338
I'm not sure his methods of computing safety are justified, but at lest
he's dealing with real data. He mentions 8 fatalities in a certain year.
As he says, his data "... implies that cycling in Sacramento Country
on the average is 3 times safer than cycling in either Butte or Napa
Counties."

More briefly: Cut the "Danger! Danger!" crap.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 29th 16, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-07-27 07:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 8:50:10 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Driver never slowed and was driving whilst his license was
revoked.

" The driver, Edward Shane Yarbrough, 39, of Holly Springs, did not
slow down as he approached the bicyclist, McRavin said.

Webster was wearing a helmet and reflective clothing and had
reflective lighting on his bicycle.

Yarbrough is charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle, failing to
reduce speed and driving while license revoked."

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/loca...b615ebb1..html

Cheers

Anyone else noticing that most of these recent bicycling fatalities
are the so-called very rare "Struck from behind" run downs?

Rare? Happens all the time. Here is the recent one from our area:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e85739372.html

There was another fatal hit-from-behind this month but that may not have
been the motorist's fault because it seems a road biker wanted to pass
another cyclist and swerved into the pathway of a car.

I think Sir was being sarcastic. The "so-called very rare" being the
give away.

There's a particular troll here that will insist that struck from behind bicycling fatalities is rare. My post and comment was about the simple fact that these "so called rare events" are becoming far more common than they used to be.

BTW, I hardly bother reading this board any more and only post things to make others aware that there might be a potential problem out there on the road and that the rraders might want to be aware of the problem.

BTW, yielding the lane/road to a much larger vehicle does not make one a "scardy cat" but in a lot instances it just might save the bicyclist from getting that run down feeling. As the sayings go; "Better alive than dead right." or "iscretion is the better part of valour". Or as Kenny Rogers might have said had he written a song about bicycling (paraphrasing his "THE GAMBLER") "Know when to take the lane and know when to leave it".

Cheers.
Old July 29th 16, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/28/2016 2:29 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Most of the hit-from-behind accidents here are caused by people under
the influence, just like many car-to-car accidents are. The problem is
that a bicycle does not have crumple zones or other protection.

My cousin and her husband were hit about two weeks ago from a nurse who
fell asleep at the wheel after a 12 hour shift.

Lucky to be alive. She had broken ribs. Her husband had a broken back.

And about ten years ago a deputy sheriff allegedly fell asleep at the
wheel in the unincorporated area of Cupertino and killed several cyclists.

Old July 29th 16, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 07-28-2016 12:32, Joerg wrote:
There was another fatal hit-from-behind this month but that may not have
been the motorist's fault because it seems a road biker wanted to pass
another cyclist and swerved into the pathway of a car.

Vehicles Codes in USA typically make any rear-end collision
automatically the fault of the driver in back. Why should the guy in
front being a bicycle be an exception?

--
Wes Groleau
Old July 29th 16, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 8:38:23 PM UTC-7, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 07-28-2016 12:32, Joerg wrote:
There was another fatal hit-from-behind this month but that may not have
been the motorist's fault because it seems a road biker wanted to pass
another cyclist and swerved into the pathway of a car.

Vehicles Codes in USA typically make any rear-end collision
automatically the fault of the driver in back. Why should the guy in
front being a bicycle be an exception?

It creates a presumption of fault. You can overcome the presumption with evidence that the driver acted reasonably.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 29th 16, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 20:59:40 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 8:38:23 PM UTC-7, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 07-28-2016 12:32, Joerg wrote:
There was another fatal hit-from-behind this month but that may not have
been the motorist's fault because it seems a road biker wanted to pass
another cyclist and swerved into the pathway of a car.

Vehicles Codes in USA typically make any rear-end collision
automatically the fault of the driver in back. Why should the guy in
front being a bicycle be an exception?

It creates a presumption of fault. You can overcome the presumption with evidence that the driver acted reasonably.

-- Jay Beattie.

In Thailand the presumption of fault is the largest vehicle is at
fault. If a bicycle hits a pedestrian it is the bicycle's fault :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 29th 16, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Obviously, unincorporated Cupertino is an anomalous area.

ThaT said, the core across several centuries is mobility ...and choice.

With a need to begin from the most reasonable position...as a factual choice...the person with the best perspective and control in a damaging situation is first the party at fault.

Choosing bicycle riding next to ...
Old July 29th 16, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Now, with a larger, more influential cyclist pop on roads, the law moves for protecting a larger more influential group of unreasonable imbeciles who chose to...

An interesting subgroup ...vehicular CHOH users ....

Let's ask AJ for an amicus ...

Arizona bicyclist struck and killed Sir Ridesalot Techniques 36 January 29th 16 01:22 PM
Bicyclist killed in Norfolk Anton Berlin Racing 5 June 8th 09 07:36 PM
SUV Killed By Bicyclist soinie General 8 February 7th 05 06:35 PM
Bicyclist killed by SUV Ben Kaufman General 59 January 31st 05 11:17 PM
Bicyclist killed, trucker guilty [email protected] General 101 September 13th 04 07:22 PM