Prostatectomy and Bike Riding

Old August 15th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Sweet Old Bob

Default Prostatectomy and Bike Riding

It's been almost a month since I had a radical prostatectomy with the
DaVinci robot. Subsequent pathology was very good, very encouraging,
cancer wholly removed, very low chance of later complications, etc.

How long until I even feel like riding the bike again?

I'm a daily rider, commuter, and enjoy log distance touring. But
frankly, at this time, because of the residual pain I'm not even
tempted to ride the bike!

How long is this gonna last? Would a different type saddle help? Is
there a danger of doing harm by attempting to ride the bike too early?

My surgeon isn't a biker. The best he could offer is that I could
start riding the bike "about two weeks after you're back to work."

Anybody gone through this that would like to offer words of
encouragement?

Thanks.

--
Bob Kastigar; mailto:R-Kastigar -at- neiu.edu
Home: http://www.neiu.edu/~rkastiga
Old August 15th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Kunich

"Sweet Old Bob" wrote in message

Anybody gone through this that would like to offer words of
encouragement?

I haven't but I ride with a guy whose is presently 76 years old who had it
done about 5 years ago. He claims that he was back riding rather quickly
whatever that means. And he does a 300 mile ride down the coast each
September or October depending on weather besides a lot of group riding the
rest of the time. And I have to ride like heck to keep up and I'm a long
term rider ex-racer. I'm not saying this guy is particularly fast but he
sure as heck ain't slow.

Old August 26th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ben Kaufman

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 06:35:35 -0700 (PDT), Sweet Old Bob
wrote:

It's been almost a month since I had a radical prostatectomy with the
DaVinci robot. Subsequent pathology was very good, very encouraging,
cancer wholly removed, very low chance of later complications, etc.

How long until I even feel like riding the bike again?

I'm a daily rider, commuter, and enjoy log distance touring. But
frankly, at this time, because of the residual pain I'm not even
tempted to ride the bike!

How long is this gonna last? Would a different type saddle help? Is
there a danger of doing harm by attempting to ride the bike too early?

My surgeon isn't a biker. The best he could offer is that I could
start riding the bike "about two weeks after you're back to work."

Anybody gone through this that would like to offer words of
encouragement?

Thanks.

Not been through that but I did develop intense pain in that area after an
injury. I got the Topeak Allay bike seat and put no air in the front cushion.
It's kind of like sitting on the edge of a table. It is definitely harder on
the sit bones and they still get a little sore after an hour in the saddle but
it is a transient soreness compared to the urological soreness that lasted for
days. Using better padded bike shorts is great for the sit bones but bad for the
front area which did not want any pressure at all. I got the Racing 1.1 model.
The commuter model probably has more sit bone comfort.

Ben
Old September 7th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Sweet Old Bob

On Aug 25, 8:04*pm, Ben Kaufman spaXm-mXe-anXd-paXy-5000-
wrote:

Not been through that but I did develop intense pain in that area after an
injury. * I got the Topeak *Allay bike seat and put no air in the front cushion.
It's kind of like sitting on the edge of a table.

After several more weeks, I am noticing some improvement.

I did get a Hobson seat, http://www.hobsonseats.com/ - the original
model.

It's good but not great. It makes it possible to ride, with a
traditional saddle it was impossible! I don't think I'll keep it
permanently, however. I'm hoping after several more weeks (months?)
to return to a traditional saddle. It's just tiring to ride after a
couple of miles with the thing.

Prostatectomy and Bike Riding Sweet Old Bob General 0 August 15th 08 02:35 PM
Prostatectomy and Bike Riding Sweet Old Bob Social Issues 0 August 15th 08 02:35 PM
like riding a bike lowpine Unicycling 6 September 3rd 06 08:54 PM
I'm riding a new bike the.Mark UK 4 December 20th 04 05:42 PM
Riding a bike after 37 yrs! just us Australia 4 December 5th 04 08:00 PM