Poll: Why don't Americans ride bikes?

Old September 10th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Big Oil -- Big Bucks

On Sep 10, 3:58*pm, Pat wrote:
On Sep 10, 2:05*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Sep 10, 11:20*am, Pat wrote:

http://news.iafrica.com/sa/1140241.htm

Are you still blogging for bucks or whatever they call that program
Big Oil has for people to make anti-biking internet comments? *Can't
you find another way of earning a living; or are you stuck in your
chair, eating Bon Bons.- Hide quoted text -

Hey, stupidity is an asset in Texas, right? Or are you the Pat from
NY?

At least NYC has some good old fashioned public transportation. Never
mind.

Where I live there is no public transportation -- but there is very
little public either.- Hide quoted text -

In other words, there's nothing to talk about but you.
Old September 11th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

Default you are just making Canada look stupid

In article ,
ComandanteBanana writes:
On Sep 9, 11:08*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tadej Brezina writes: Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
* * * *ComandanteBanana writes:

Some argue that people should be riding bikes on the road, period. Not
very clever. Well, since nearly 99% of people don't ride bikes to
work, there must be some good reason for it.

You're still trying to scare would-be riders off the
streets & roads, eh? *Your FUDmongering disinformation
campaign is destined to fail. *The Truth shall out,
as it inevitably does.

I don't think he's concern really is to scare existing roadway cyclers

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^

off the and onto the sidewalk.

His concern is to scare /would-be/ roadway cyclers
* * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^
off the streets and onto the sidewalks.

He has a history here in r.b.m. and other ngs.

Don't be fooled.

He is against you and me.

Again, I implore you to not be fooled.
Unless you want to be fooled by a lard-assed,
bike-hating idjit who sits in a Laz-E-boy in FLA
doing his Web TV thing (he might have grown out
of that lately) all day, making posts about how]
dangerous cycling is, between chompfuls of sweet
potato pie, and occasionally leaning over in his
Laz-E-boy to let one off, and telling cyclists to
get off the road.

The content of his messages indicates his
evil intentions & desires.

All it takes is to hear what he's saying.
It's often right there in his (mutated)
subject lines.

We're dealing with an anti-cycling propagandist.

Plain 'n simple.

CommandanteBanana/DonQuijote/Orlando has relatively
long been an anti-cycling propagandist on Usenet.

Fortunately, most people recognize him for the
windbag he is.

He sure doesn't do much to instill confidence in
new riders.

And that's his ploy.

And you are just making Canada look stupid.

I'm just shining the Light of Truth on your
anti-cycling FUDmongering, PosterBoy.

So now you've gone from admonishing riders to
get off the road, to bemoaning the shrinkage
of the polar icecaps. It's a clumsy and artless
distractionary tactic on your part, as you grasp
at straws to salvage credibility. You squirm
like a worm.

You're still the guy who wants cyclists to get
off the streets & roads, and take to the sidewalks
where they'll (we'll) be "safer." In a pig's eye!

You've also stated how you don't like Critical Mass.
Too many bikes on the street.

The USA has Effective Cycling courses, and I
wholeheartedly endorse it for USA dwellers
who are new to riding as street/road traffic.
It's a base-point, anyways, and some pretty
good smarts can be gleaned from it. The
Canadian version is called CAN-BIKE. And for
my fellow Vancouverites, the Vancouver Area
Cycling Coalition pitches a commuter cycling
training course based on CAN-BIKE/EC. Then
peruse Robert Haston's: "The Art of Urban
Cycling," take the best/safest of both
approaches, and combine 'em. Then just keep
your eyes open and don't do stupid stuff like
"threading the needle" in tight places, and
you'll be okay.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old September 11th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

Default God bless America

On Sep 10, 4:22*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Sep 10, 3:57*pm, Pat wrote:

However it must be very hard for you too...

No, not really. *Live and let live is a good philosophy, with reason.

If that were the case, people could drive or ride a bike in safety.
When the latter is not accomplished (in safety), you intimidate the
people into driving.

It must be hard TO LIVE WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOR (the monkey giving a
banana to the hungry lion).

I continue to have no idea what you are talking about with your
metaphors, for the most part. *I am neither a sheep nor a lion nor
monkey, whatever they are. *I am hard to categorize.

Trust me, you are more related to the monkey than to the lion. But the
lion is also the symbol of power and wealth.

So I think you are a sheep who follows the lion.

It must be hard to lie to yourself that you are a sheep and not a
monkey.

No, not really. *But then again I don't know what you're talking
about. *It must be a biker thing.

No biker thing. EVOLUTION, DARWIN, SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST, the
foundation of the economic system we've got. Which is why cyclists are
simply dismissed as "monkeys."

It must be hard to wait for God to solve the problem and then find out
that the people of Eastern Island had the same hope too (they ended up
eating each other).

Waiting for God is not hard. *It just requires faith: faith in God.
Faith in man.

Faith in God is not faith in man. Faith in man is called HUMANISM. And
that requires taking action (riding bikes for example) to prevent a
catastrophe, not wait for God to save us.

It must be hard to hear there's no money for bike facilities

No, not at all. *If they're for people like you, who needs them. *It'd
be good not to have them around.

Ok, people like me and people who care about saving the environment,
like this kayaker going to the North Pole to make the poing of ice
melting. Probably there's a good chunk of people out there willing to
take responsibility in their hands.

or even

for fighting Global Warming and then waste a fortune in wars.

It must be hard to hear a lonely kayaker to the North Pole and find
very little ice left and few polar bears. And then tell you that
there's no future because the nations of the world are indifferent.

It must be hard to have AGAIN the same political party of the past 8
years.

If you think there's much of a difference between the parties, then I
pity you even more. *The only difference is one lies and the other
doesn't tell the truth. *They're sort of like you.

I have called them "Republicrats," and yet remain hopeful that someone
will break the cycle.

It must be hard that one country unilaterally retired from the Kyoto
Protocol and then unleashed the Law of the Jungle attacking others who
have oil.

It must be hard to witness the sheep to be accomplices to this so they
can have their SUVs' gas tanks full.

As things go, gas remains relatively inexpensive.

Bad for the environment. But they are plannig to drill anyway, no
matter what.

It must be hard to want to do something and yet feel that's there's no
place for you to ride a bike because you don't have money to burn.

I can ride anywhere. *My bike has a 1300 CC engine.

Good for you. At least you will only kill yourself in case of an
accidents. You know, the hungry lions drive SUVs.

It must be hard for people of other nations to know their nations have
managed to escape the Law of the Jungle, and the people of another
nation feel superior enough to do what they please in internal and
international affairs, etc, etc.

I have no idea. *Who are you talking about? *Even with the worst of
times, the US is doing a better job of managing its affairs than a lot
of countries. *Been to Haiti lately?

Good to know that America is doing better than Haiti. Probably even
better than Cuba.

But it remains a country of extreme contrasts and disparities among
the civilized nations.

In short, nothing is easy, because THE ONLY EASY WAY IS TO DRIVE AN
SUV AND PRETEND YOU'LL BE SAVED BY ARMAGEDDON.

If leaps of logic was an Olympic sport, you'd get a gold metal.

It's also easy to drive a big bike, if only you could stay away from a
bicycle forum.

Hey moron, I'm not in a bike forum. I'm in an urban planning one. If
you don't want people like me in the threads, then stop your moronic
cross-posting and the problem will be solved.

God bless America.

http://www.cabaloosa.com/images/Main...20East....Hide quoted text -

Old September 11th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Old September 11th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Sep 10, 10:07*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
And you are just making Canada look stupid.

I'm just shining the Light of Truth on your
anti-cycling FUDmongering, PosterBoy.

So now you've gone from admonishing riders to
get off the road, to bemoaning the shrinkage
of the polar icecaps. *It's a clumsy and artless
distractionary tactic on your part, as you grasp
at straws to salvage credibility. *You squirm
like a worm.

You're still the guy who wants cyclists to get
off the streets & roads, and take to the sidewalks
where they'll (we'll) be "safer." *In a pig's eye!

You must have heard about bike ridership in Holland or Denmark, right?

That's what I have in mind, not your melting tundra. OK?

Old September 11th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Pat

On Sep 11, 11:01*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Sep 10, 10:07*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

And you are just making Canada look stupid.

I'm just shining the Light of Truth on your
anti-cycling FUDmongering, PosterBoy.

So now you've gone from admonishing riders to
get off the road, to bemoaning the shrinkage
of the polar icecaps. *It's a clumsy and artless
distractionary tactic on your part, as you grasp
at straws to salvage credibility. *You squirm
like a worm.

You're still the guy who wants cyclists to get
off the streets & roads, and take to the sidewalks
where they'll (we'll) be "safer." *In a pig's eye!

You must have heard about bike ridership in Holland or Denmark, right?

That's what I have in mind, not your melting tundra. OK?

The thing is, no one gives a cr*p what you think because of your
bizarre thoughts and behavior. Even if anyone cared, there's not much
anyone could/would do in a NG. If you think you have solutions to
world problems, go run for office.

Old September 11th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

wrote:

[...]

world problems, go run for office.- Hide quoted text -

What party, Republican or Democrat? You told me they are the same
thing. How many sponsors I need to have a chance?

The only thing the monkey can do is MAKE NOISE, and there's no place
for it like the Internet.

But you should get into the jungle metaphors because they explain why
people like you can't understand...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job
depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair (author of "The Jungle")