Broken hub, replacement options?

Old January 19th 05, 01:04 AM
saki

Default Broken hub, replacement options?

I've had a pair of Phil Wood hubs for over thirty years and just noticed
some wobble in my rear tire. My bike shop (a trustworthy place) reports
that the hub is broken and they'd recommend replacement.

I don't have a high-end modern bike. It's a parts hybrid assembled in the
early seventies that includes an Allegro 531 frame, some Campagnolo gear
and a few pedestrian components that I really should get around to
replacing (Universal 61 centerpulls, that sort of thing). But my immediate
concern is a new hub.

I ride for fitness, usually not more than 12-15 miles a day, all urban
cycling on surface streets. I don't need anything fancy but don't really
want something that would be inappropriate with the upgrades I'm gradually
doing.

Would someone like to recommend something and let me know what price I'll
need to anticipate? Do I need to replace both hubs or just one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

----

Old January 19th 05, 01:40 AM
maxo

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:04:25 +0000, saki wrote:

Would someone like to recommend something and let me know what price I'll
need to anticipate? Do I need to replace both hubs or just one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First thing to do is contact the Phil Wood company--they're truly
amazing--and find out what to do. Perhaps the hubs are quite salvageable,
perhaps not. If it's just a shot cartridge bearing or axle--that's
relatively cheap and easy. Your shop may be trustworthy, but not as
familiar with the particulars of Phil's hubs as you think. Worth a shot
getting a second opinion, and would probably help if you can send or post
some digital images to go along with your query.

Building a new wheel around a fresh Phil Hub is going to cost a pretty
penny (you'll get a damn fine wheel in return of course) but perhaps it's
time to take stock and see if that money would be better invested towards
a more basic wheelset or new bike, or if sentimental value trumps
all...just go for it.

Let us know how it goes.

Old January 19th 05, 02:02 AM
saki

maxo wrote:

First thing to do is contact the Phil Wood company--they're truly
amazing--and find out what to do. Perhaps the hubs are quite

salvageable,
perhaps not. If it's just a shot cartridge bearing or axle--that's
relatively cheap and easy. Your shop may be trustworthy, but not as
familiar with the particulars of Phil's hubs as you think. Worth a

shot
getting a second opinion, and would probably help if you can send or

post
some digital images to go along with your query.

Excellent advice, thanks. I'll see what Phil Wood might have to say.

Building a new wheel around a fresh Phil Hub is going to cost a

pretty
penny (you'll get a damn fine wheel in return of course) but perhaps

it's
time to take stock and see if that money would be better invested

towards
a more basic wheelset or new bike, or if sentimental value trumps
all...just go for it.

I'm very nostalgic about the frame, perhaps foolishly, but I recognize
that things have changed during the past thirty years. This is
something I'll have to consider carefully.
Thanks very much!

----

Let us know how it goes.

Old January 19th 05, 08:48 PM
bfd

I agree that the first thing you should do is contact Phil Wood. Phil
can be very reasonable with repairs of its products.

With regard to your frame, hey, it you're nostalgic and the frame fits
you, no need to change it. You can "upgrade" your frame with modern
components should you choose. Modern components may require you to
spread your dropouts to fit 130mm standard, but other than that, you
should be able to use it!

If you need to build a new wheel, and a new Phil is too expensive. Take
a look at Shimano or Campy's hubs. Both are excellent and will easily
take 8, 9, or 10 speed cogs should you decide to make your bike more
modern. Alternatively, freewheel hubs and complete wheels can be found
fairly cheap on ebay, craigslist or your local bike shop bulletin board
as most riders today don't use this form. Lots of ways to go. Good
Luck!

Old February 4th 05, 09:01 PM
saki

"bfd" wrote in news:1106164131.578512.297150
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I agree that the first thing you should do is contact Phil Wood. Phil
can be very reasonable with repairs of its products.

I appreciate the advice. For the short term my local shop installed a
temporary hub (a Normandy, I believe) and I can at least get around on
the bike till I can find out what Phil Wood would charge to repair the
old hub.

With regard to your frame, hey, it you're nostalgic and the frame fits
you, no need to change it. You can "upgrade" your frame with modern
components should you choose. Modern components may require you to
spread your dropouts to fit 130mm standard, but other than that, you
should be able to use it!

Will spreading the dropouts create metal fatigue on the frame eventually,
or isn't the spread that significant?

If you need to build a new wheel, and a new Phil is too expensive. Take
a look at Shimano or Campy's hubs. Both are excellent and will easily
take 8, 9, or 10 speed cogs should you decide to make your bike more
modern. Alternatively, freewheel hubs and complete wheels can be found
fairly cheap on ebay, craigslist or your local bike shop bulletin board
as most riders today don't use this form. Lots of ways to go. Good
Luck!

Thanks very much for the details.

With the prospects of facing permanent retirement for my bike I realized
how nostalgic I actually am for that Allegro frame. The only other bike
made today that I could embrace might be a Rivendell, if I could afford
one. But I don't know how they rate next to more modern models. I sure
like their look, though.

----

Old February 4th 05, 09:29 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
saki writes:

Will spreading the dropouts create metal fatigue on the frame eventually,
or isn't the spread that significant?

This article explaining frame spacing, by Sheldon Brown,
might be of interest to you:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old February 4th 05, 10:36 PM
bfd

Saki asks:

Will spreading the dropouts create metal fatigue on the frame
eventually, or isn't the spread that significant?

You may want to read the Bicycle FAQ "frames going soft" and "frame
fatique":

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-fa...ection-46.html

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-fa...ection-45.html

With the prospects of facing permanent retirement for my bike I
realized
how nostalgic I actually am for that Allegro frame. The only other bike

made today that I could embrace might be a Rivendell, if I could afford

one. But I don't know how they rate next to more modern models. I sure
like their look, though.

I think you need to look at what will fit YOU and your type of riding.
If your Allegro fits and is in "good shape". I would ride it,
especially if money is tight. Upgrading parts is easy. If your frame
has the old 120 or 126mm spacing, it can be spread to fit the more
modern 130mm standard. If you don't know how, find a good shop to do
it. Worth the money.

Alternatively, you can always "upgrade" to a new frameset. It doesn't
necessarily have to cost alot. Obviously, if you want a "Riv" or high
custom-made in America lugged steel bike, be prepared to fork out $$$$
for a frameset, e.g., Rivendell customs *start* at $2500 with a 2 year
wait; others like Eisentraut, Bruce Gordon, Steve Rex, etc. are about
that and don't ask about a Richard Sachs - $3K, 3 year wait list.

There are some cheaper alternatives. Rivendell sells its Romulus
bicycles (complete) for $1500; Rambo frameset, made in Japan by Toyo
cost about $1400. Other brands that are a bit cheaper include Jitensha
studios' Ebisu, Waterford, and Heron all in the $1k price range.

You can get a English-made Mercian for a little less, depending on the
strength of the dollar, which we all know is sucking right now, at
about $800-900. However, maybe the best deal in lugged steel framesets
is Matthew Gramm's Kogwells. Made in China, a frameset can be found for
about $600-700, with room for fenders. A great buy:

www.kogswell.com

Good Luck!

Old February 4th 05, 11:26 PM
saki

"bfd" wrote in news:1107553004.129712.132610
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I think you need to look at what will fit YOU and your type of riding.
If your Allegro fits and is in "good shape". I would ride it,
especially if money is tight. Upgrading parts is easy. If your frame
has the old 120 or 126mm spacing, it can be spread to fit the more
modern 130mm standard. If you don't know how, find a good shop to do
it. Worth the money.

That may be the way to go for the future. I do like the frame...so does my
son, to whom I've promised the bike when I'm too old to ride it. :-)

You can get a English-made Mercian for a little less, depending on the
strength of the dollar, which we all know is sucking right now, at
about $800-900. However, maybe the best deal in lugged steel framesets
is Matthew Gramm's Kogwells. Made in China, a frameset can be found for
about $600-700, with room for fenders. A great buy:

www.kogswell.com

I've bookmarked this site. Nice to know there are still vendors out there
producing good-quality steel-frame lugged bikes. Many thanks.

----

Old March 1st 05, 05:07 PM
maxo

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:31:43 +0000, saki wrote:

Thanks, very helpful, if painful-looking.

the 2x4 and chair method is actually downright fun in my experience.

mmmm, primal bending. :P