Looking for homemade headset cup remover....

Old January 31st 07, 02:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

Default Looking for homemade headset cup remover....

.... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...under-6-bucks/

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Old January 31st 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

Scott Gordo said the following on 31/01/2007 14:53:

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

As some of the respondents have said, it ain't new! I've been using
something like that for years - actually it's a car coil spring
compressor, but with similar washers it does the same job.

It's only new if you've not seen it before :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 31st 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Scott Gordo wrote:
... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...under-6-bucks/

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

That looks exactly like my headset press. There are some designs for
homemade cup removers, too, I didn't check on that site, though.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 1st 07, 12:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Phil, Non-Squid

Scott Gordo wrote:
... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...under-6-bucks/

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Smart, yet the pictures will f someone's build up because it looks like
someone's trying to press both cups in at the same time: a possible recipe
for disaster.

--
Phil

Old February 1st 07, 12:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message
Scott Gordo wrote:
... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...under-6-bucks/

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Smart, yet the pictures will f someone's build up because it looks like
someone's trying to press both cups in at the same time: a possible recipe
for disaster.

Yeah, I tried doing it that way once. Not a good idea, once I realized the
error of my ways it worked much better than my old wooden mallet method.

Greg

Old February 1st 07, 10:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crazy Fred

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...p-press-for-un...

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Nice but I still use the big screwdriver and mallet to remove. And
block of wood and mallet to install. But one thing I do, when its
metal to metal lots of grease. Wipe the area latter and your see the
next time you remove the part how easy it was.

Old February 1st 07, 01:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 06:53:34 -0800, Scott Gordo
wrote:

... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...under-6-bucks/

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Isn't that a headset press, not remover? I have seen a ghetto headset
remover made from a PVC pipe, but I cannot remember where.
--
Slack
Old February 1st 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

wrote:

... and Google turned this site up:

http://bluecollarmtb.com/2006/09/14/...p-press-for-un...

Not bad. Cheaper than the $30 Park cup remover and $14 Lifu Star Nut
tool (plus shipping), though it is a little sad to scrap the skills
I've accumulated using the "hit the screwdriver with a hammer"
method.

/s

Isn't that a headset press, not remover? I have seen a ghetto headset
remover made from a PVC pipe, but I cannot remember where.
--
Slack

Sorry. Sometimes the path from my brain to my fingers is like a game
of telephone....

He Park cup PRESS is $30, and looks pretty much identical to the
bluecollarmtb one except that park manufactured what's essentially a
pair of huge wingnuts on either end.

I think the remover (steel pipe with one end flared) was somewhere
between $15-20. I'm no stranger to the screwsdriver and hammer thing,
and the frame is steel and a beater, but these cups are in the frame
pretty good.

And, yeah, the starnut setter is $14.

If anybody's curious, I've had a Kona YeeHa garbage picked frame
sitting around for a year or so now. It's a skinny tire 29er (ie
hybrid). I've been waiting for a good, heavyduty 1" fork to come my
way, but no luck yet. I've seen some new Tange ones online for $40,
but I like to keep my beater bikes as recycled as possible. Against my
better judgement, I pulled a threaded steel mtb fork and headset off
an old bent Specialized Rockhopper (teal!) that's going to go on the
YeeHa once I get the old cups out. I can fit a 700c wheel with a
roadbike-handmedown 23mm or 25mm tire. We're going to have to see
about the brakes and steering and all that (the original Kona fork is
16.5" from bottom of dropout to bottom race, the Rockhopper's is 16",
plus who knows what the rake is....) The Spesh's headtube is around an
inch longer than it needs to be, but I'm thinking I'll start off with
a regular threadless fork spacer cranked down by the top bolt to test,
and hacksaw it once I've gathered enough info to know that the front
tire won't rub against the frame or that the bike won't send me into
an endo every time I touch the front brake. It should be fine.

Then I get to work on getting the 7speed downtube shifters and derr
working with the 9s cogs....

Fun! I think....

/s

SRAM freewheel remover [email protected] Techniques 3 August 15th 05 02:13 AM
Oil remover Rob UK 7 July 23rd 05 07:07 PM
rust remover [email protected] Techniques 0 July 1st 05 06:02 PM
Homemade headset cup removal tool? G.T. Mountain Biking 12 March 27th 04 12:17 PM
Suntour hub remover DaveB Australia 6 March 25th 04 12:21 AM