Children should wear bicycle helmets.

Old November 30th 04, 04:21 AM
John Doe

Default Children should wear bicycle helmets.

According to peer-reviewed, medical journal published doctors,
neurosurgeons, and research scientists from around the world, a
properly fitted bicycle helmet helps reduce serious head injury among
children.

The source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Search criteria:

"bicycle helmets" "head injuries" children

Results:

1: Chapman HR, Curran AL.
Bicycle helmets--does the dental profession have a role in promoting
their use?
Br Dent J. 2004 May 8;196(9):555-60; discussion 539. Review.
PMID: 15131627 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2: Hansen KS, Engesaeter LB, Viste A.
Protective effect of different types of bicycle helmets.
Traffic Inj Prev. 2003 Dec;4(4):285-90.
PMID: 14630577 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

3: Cook A, Sheikh A.
Trends in serious head injuries among English cyclists and
pedestrians.
Inj Prev. 2003 Sep;9(3):266-7.
PMID: 12966018 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4: Novick LF, Wojtowycz M, Morrow CB, Sutphen SM.
Bicycle helmet effectiveness in preventing injury and death.
Am J Prev Med. 2003 May;24(4 Suppl):143-9.
PMID: 12744996 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

5: Coffman S.
Bicycle injuries and safety helmets in children. Review of research.
Orthop Nurs. 2003 Jan-Feb;22(1):9-15. Review.
PMID: 12640947 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

6: Taylor M, Scuffham P.
New Zealand bicycle helmet law--do the costs outweigh the benefits?
Inj Prev. 2002 Dec;8(4):317-20.
PMID: 12460970 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

7: Larsen LB.
[The importance of the use of bicycle helmets for head injuries
among injured bicyclists aged 0-15 years]
Ugeskr Laeger. 2002 Oct 28;164(44):5115-9. Danish.
PMID: 12448154 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

8: Leblanc JC, Beattie TL, Culligan C.
Effect of legislation on the use of bicycle helmets.
CMAJ. 2002 Mar 5;166(5):592-5.
PMID: 11898937 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

9: American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Injury and Poison
Prevention..
Bicycle helmets.
Pediatrics. 2001 Oct;108(4):1030-2.
PMID: 11581464 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

10: Kopjar B.
Population preventable fraction of bicycle related head injuries.
Inj Prev. 2000 Sep;6(3):235-8.
PMID: 11003193 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

11: Stanken BA.
Promoting helmet use among children.
J Community Health Nurs. 2000 Summer;17(2):85-92. Review.
PMID: 10846294 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

12: Gilchrist J, Schieber RA, Leadbetter S, Davidson SC.
Police enforcement as part of a comprehensive bicycle helmet
program.
Pediatrics. 2000 Jul;106(1 Pt 1):6-9.
PMID: 10878141 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

13: Alvaer K, Kopjar B.
[A potential for prevention of bicycling-related head injuries]
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2000 Jun 30;120(17):1955-9. Norwegian.
PMID: 11008524 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

14: Kopjar B, Wickizer TM.
Age gradient in the cost-effectiveness of bicycle helmets.
Prev Med. 2000 May;30(5):401-6.
PMID: 10845749 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

15: Hendrickson SG, Becker H.
Reducing one source of pediatric head injuries.
Pediatr Nurs. 2000 Mar-Apr;26(2):159-62.
PMID: 12026269 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

16: Loubeau PR.
Exploration of the barriers to bicycle helmet use among 12 and 13
year old children.
Accid Anal Prev. 2000 Jan;32(1):111-5. Erratum in: Accid Anal Prev
2001 Jul;33(4):567.
PMID: 10576681 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

17: MacKenzie EJ.
Epidemiology of injuries: current trends and future challenges.
Epidemiol Rev. 2000;22(1):112-9. Review.
PMID: 10939015 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

18: Rivara FP, Astley SJ, Clarren SK, Thompson DC, Thompson RS.
Fit of bicycle safety helmets and risk of head injuries in children.
Inj Prev. 1999 Sep;5(3):194-7.
PMID: 10518266 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

19: Welander G, Ekman R, Svanstrom L, Schelp L, Karlsson A.
Bicycle injuries in Western Sweden: a comparison between counties.
Accid Anal Prev. 1999 Jan-Mar;31(1-2):13-9.
PMID: 10084614 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

20: Puranik S, Long J, Coffman S.
Profile of pediatric bicycle injuries.
South Med J. 1998 Nov;91(11):1033-7.
PMID: 9824185 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

21: Shafi S, Gilbert JC, Loghmanee F, Allen JE, Caty MG, Glick PL,
Carden S, Azizkhan RG.
Impact of bicycle helmet safety legislation on children admitted to
a regional pediatric trauma center.
J Pediatr Surg. 1998 Feb;33(2):317-21.
PMID: 9498409 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

22: Watts D, O'Shea N, Flynn E, Trask A, Kelleher D.
Effect of a bicycle safety program and free bicycle helmet
distribution on the use of bicycle helmets by elementary school
children.
J Emerg Nurs. 1997 Oct;23(5):417-9.
PMID: 9369604 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

23: Ching RP, Thompson DC, Thompson RS, Thomas DJ, Chilcott WC,
Rivara FP.
Damage to bicycle helmets involved with crashes.
Accid Anal Prev. 1997 Sep;29(5):555-62.
PMID: 9316704 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

24: Powell EC, Tanz RR, DiScala C.
Bicycle-related injuries among preschool children.
Ann Emerg Med. 1997 Sep;30(3):260-5.
PMID: 9287885 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

25: Ekman R, Schelp L, Welander G, Svanstrom L.
Can a combination of local, regional and national information
substantially increase bicycle-helmet wearing and reduce injuries?
Experiences from Sweden.
Accid Anal Prev. 1997 May;29(3):321-8.
PMID: 9183470 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

26: Thompson DC, Nunn ME, Thompson RS, Rivara FP.
Effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in preventing serious facial
injury.
JAMA. 1996 Dec 25;276(24):1974-5.
PMID: 8971067 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

27: Thompson DC, Rivara FP, Thompson RS.
Effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in preventing head injuries.
A case-control study.
JAMA. 1996 Dec 25;276(24):1968-73.
PMID: 8971066 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

28: Vulcan P, Lane J.
Bicycle helmets reduce head injuries and should be worn by all.
Inj Prev. 1996 Dec;2(4):251-2. No abstract available.
PMID: 9346102 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

29: Sosin DM, Sacks JJ, Webb KW.
Pediatric head injuries and deaths from bicycling in the United
States.
Pediatrics. 1996 Nov;98(5):868-70.
PMID: 8909479 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

30: Foltin E.
[Pediatric and adolescent accident victims (ICD-E 800 to 829) in
Austria 1980 to 1989]
Unfallchirurgie. 1996 Jun;22(3):99-109. German.
PMID: 8767380 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

31: Jaffe B, Tamir D.
Bicycle helmets in Israel: observed change in usage following a
nationwide campaign.
Isr J Med Sci. 1996 Feb;32(2):135-7.
PMID: 8631651 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

32: Hansen P, Scuffham PA.
The cost-effectiveness of compulsory bicycle helmets in New Zealand.
Aust J Public Health. 1995 Oct;19(5):450-4.
PMID: 8713192 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

33: Rouzier P, Alto WA.
Evolution of a successful community bicycle helmet campaign.
J Am Board Fam Pract. 1995 Jul-Aug;8(4):283-7.
PMID: 7572292 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

34: Hatziandreu EJ, Sacks JJ, Brown R, Taylor WR, Rosenberg ML,
Graham JD.
The cost effectiveness of three programs to increase use of bicycle
helmets among children.
Public Health Rep. 1995 May-Jun;110(3):251-9.
PMID: 7610212 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

35: [No authors listed]
Injury control recommendations for bicycle helmets. Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention.
J Sch Health. 1995 Apr;65(4):133-9.
PMID: 7603050 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

36: Zavoski R, Lapidus G, Lerer T, Banco L.
Bicycle injury in Connecticut.
Conn Med. 1995 Jan;59(1):3-9.
PMID: 7859445 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

37: Hirasing RA, Verloove-Vanhorick SP, van Kampen LT.
[Bicycle accidents in children in The Netherlands in 1990/1991; time
for bicycle helmets]
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1994 Nov 12;138(46):2315-8. Dutch.
PMID: 7969627 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

38: Thomas S, Acton C, Nixon J, Battistutta D, Pitt WR, Clark R.
Effectiveness of bicycle helmets in preventing head injury in
children: case-control study.
BMJ. 1994 Jan 15;308(6922):173-6.
PMID: 8312768 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

39: Weiss BD.
Bicycle-related head injuries.
Clin Sports Med. 1994 Jan;13(1):99-112. Review.
PMID: 8111859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

40: Silverberg D, Meer A, Silvinger E, Gross M, Feldman S.
Head injuries after serious bicycle accidents.
Eur J Epidemiol. 1992 Nov;8(6):826-31.
PMID: 1294387 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

41: Cote TR, Sacks JJ, Lambert-Huber DA, Dannenberg AL, Kresnow MJ,
Lipsitz CM, Schmidt ER.
Bicycle helmet use among Maryland children: effect of legislation
and education.
Pediatrics. 1992 Jun;89(6 Pt 2):1216-20.
PMID: 1594379 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

42: Otis J, Lesage D, Godin G, Brown B, Farley C, Lambert J.
Predicting and reinforcing children's intentions to wear protective
helmets while bicycling.
Public Health Rep. 1992 May-Jun;107(3):283-9.
PMID: 1594738 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

43: Hansen TB.
[Cranial injuries in children in the county of Ringkobing. 3.
Analysis of fatal accidents]
Ugeskr Laeger. 1991 Oct 14;153(42):2950-1. Danish.
PMID: 1949321 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

44: Morris BA, Trimble NE.
Promotion of bicycle helmet use among schoolchildren: a randomized
clinical trial.
Can J Public Health. 1991 Mar-Apr;82(2):92-4.
PMID: 2049711 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

45: Halpern JS.
Bicycle helmets for children.
J Emerg Nurs. 1990 Jan-Feb;16(1):36-40.
PMID: 2406494 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

46: Lyng KM.
[Bicycle accidents in preschool children]
Ugeskr Laeger. 1989 May 29;151(22):1378-80. Danish.
PMID: 2734936 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

47: Sargent JD, Peck MG, Weitzman M.
Bicycle-mounted child seats. Injury risk and prevention.
Am J Dis Child. 1988 Jul;142(7):765-7.
PMID: 3381780 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

48: Wood T, Milne P.
Head injuries to pedal cyclists and the promotion of helmet use in
Victoria, Australia.
Accid Anal Prev. 1988 Jun;20(3):177-85.
PMID: 3382495 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

49: Weiss BD.
Prevention of bicycle-related head injuries.
Am J Prev Med. 1986 Nov-Dec;2(6):330-3.
PMID: 3453198 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Old November 30th 04, 10:19 AM
Dave Kahn

John Doe wrote in message .. .

According to peer-reviewed, medical journal published doctors,
neurosurgeons, and research scientists from around the world, a
properly fitted bicycle helmet helps reduce serious head injury among
children.

Time to stop feeding this tedious troll I think. For refutations see
replies to earlier identical postings in recent threads.

--
Dave...
Old November 30th 04, 10:34 AM
Getronics Wang

"John Doe" wrote in message
According to peer-reviewed, medical journal published doctors,
neurosurgeons, and research scientists from around the world, a
properly fitted bicycle helmet helps reduce serious head injury among
children.

snip

I assume they could remove their helmets at bedtime, but then perhaps not
they might fall out.

KC

Old November 30th 04, 10:45 AM
Peter Clinch

John Doe wrote:
According to peer-reviewed, medical journal published doctors,=20
neurosurgeons, and research scientists from around the world, a=20
properly fitted bicycle helmet helps reduce serious head injury among=20
children.

The source:

=2E..Would be the same one we've already discussed at length, pointing ou=
t=20
(with frequent examples explaining exactly why) that your searches are=20
too limited to create any real depth of understanding or even a reliable =

conclusion.

Beyond that, "Some people argue that helmets are effective if 'properly=20
worn'. How those words have haunted me through many years! Apart from=20
some racing cyclists, I hardly ever see a cycle helmet worn properly.=20
Cycle helmet retention systems are the worst of all. I consider it one=20
of my biggest failings that I have not persuaded the helmet industry to=20
come up with something much better. God knows, I have tried! Anyone who=20
wears a cycle helmet will know just how long it takes to adjust the chin =

strap so that the helmet is both reasonably comfortable and sits firmly=20
in place on the head. Try adjusting a cycle helmet on a infant's head =96=
=20
it's a nightmare and in my experience hardly ever achieved=20
satisfactorily. In the HPE laboratory we have examined many cycle=20
helmets that were manufactured in such a manner that correct adjustment=20
was completely impossible."

That quote is from Brian Walker, one of the leading experts on the=20
mechanics of helmets, and whose company Head Protection Evaluations is=20
the principal UK test laboratory for helmets and head protection systems =

of all kinds

So what now? Though you accuse people here of having a "religion", it's =

your actions that have all the hallmarks. Rather than shout "heresy"=20
when someone disagrees with you, you shout "troll", and you try and=20
"prove" your point by just reciting the same mantra from your prophets=20
without ever questioning them. Yesterday you said science wasn't really =

necessary as it was obvious anyway, so why call on science to try and=20
prove your case now? Science isn't about repeating mantras from=20
prophets who you trust unquestioningly, it's about asking questions and=20
answering them with reproducible observation. The flagship studies you=20
like to cite are not reproducible, or they'd all come out with similar=20
numbers: Thomspon Rivara and Thompson can't even manage the same numbers =

between their own papers! One thing that /is/ reproducible is serious=20
head injury rates not being changed by helmet wearing rates.

We've seen your list before and we weren't impressed, and we said=20
exactly why we weren't impressed and illustrated our reasoning with=20
examples. We've answered all the questions you've raised, but the best=20
you can do when asked one in return is post your list again and/or shout =

"troll". You have ceased to have any credibility because you have=20
demonstrated you are incapable of thinking for yourself and answering=20
questions with answers rather than mantras.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old November 30th 04, 10:50 AM
John Doe

Troll.

Old November 30th 04, 10:55 AM
MSeries

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Trolls should sit on my finger and whistle Nessum Dorma

plonk
Old November 30th 04, 11:14 AM
John Doe

Troll.

From: MSeries
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:55:42 +0000

Old November 30th 04, 11:17 AM
Peter Clinch

John Doe wrote:
Troll.

So when faced with a description of how your behaviour makes you a
religious zealot, you do exactly what was predicted by your being a
religious zealot... Reproducible results show you're a religious zealot
with little or no understanding of the issues at hand or ability to
address issues raised with reasoned debate.

Since you either can't or won't engage in either reasoned debate or
scientific inquiry it's time to let your existing posting record of
avoiding the issues raised speak for itself, since you won't or can't
manage anything new.

Pete.

Old November 30th 04, 11:29 AM
Tony Hogarty

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:55:42 +0000, MSeries wrote:

Trolls should sit on my finger and whistle Nessum Dorma

plonk

Sure I couldn't agree more but please snip the inane drivel they write
before you post so we don't have to see it all again.

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)