14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

Old May 8th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default 14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

On 5/8/2017 1:33 PM, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 9:06:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:

It's no surprise that not only have they survived but they still work almost as well as new.

The problem is even when new, the old stuff did not work nearly as well as any of the new stuff today. Kind of like a fool saying the drum brakes and carburetor on his 65 Pontiac was better than the new fancy dandy computer cars today.

Agreed, dependable/repairable/cheap is not the same as best
performance. People have personal preferences based on
various not-shared criteria.

That said, after the Chinese run their high altitude EMP
device, my no-electronics cars will run and yours won't.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 8th 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 12:54:26 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 08/05/2017 12:06 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

I only did about 35 Km yesterday, but, in my defence, the weather was off-putting. I was astride my 1972 Torpado Strada with its still mostly Nuovo Record gruppo.

If I wanted to ride yesterday, I would have needed a canoe. It's
looking worse today and now we're getting sleet.

Are you out in Rocky Bottom (Pierrefonds)?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old May 8th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 08/05/2017 3:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
wrote:

It's no surprise that not only have they survived but
they still work
almost as well as new.

The problem is even when new, the old stuff did not work
nearly as
well as any of the new stuff today. Kind of like a fool
saying the
drum brakes and carburetor on his 65 Pontiac was better
than the new
fancy dandy computer cars today.

Agreed, dependable/repairable/cheap is not the same as
best performance.
People have personal preferences based on various
not-shared criteria.

That said, after the Chinese run their high altitude EMP
device, my
no-electronics cars will run and yours won't.

You have a crank on the front of that model A Andrew?
Unless you mean your bike and then I'm all in with that idea.

12V electrical system without semiconductors, EPROMS or ICs.

p.s. Model T had a crank (at first anyway through 1919), model A are
electric start. I own neither.

No electronics on my bikes either.

No, I don't have electronics on my bike except my garmin and after the
bomb, I figure I won't need that.
But it's been a while since I've seen a car without an electronic ignition.
Old May 8th 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

A matchbook and some meatware are sufficient for setting
mechanical breaker points.

Old May 8th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I know. I used to carry points, rotor and condenser in my glove box. But
that was with a '69 Camaro with a 283. Long time ago.

--
duane
Old May 9th 17, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I love my 283. I think Mr Slocumb would agree it's
everything an Ariel Four is not. One might say a small block
283 is the Sturmey Archer AW of the auto world.