Slippery when wet

Old September 10th 03, 05:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Slippery when wet

I went a bit sideways this morning on roads covered in rubber particles and
diesel, nicely lubricated with water. I put my feet down and stood up
(wierd, the process of not-falling-off a recumbent bike) and kept going - I
moved about three or four inches standing up! So I rode a bit slower after
that. Hopefully a bit more rain has washed the crud away by now.

We are moving into Coldrain, obviously.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old September 10th 03, 10:23 PM
Alan J. Wylie

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:22:44 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" said:

I went a bit sideways this morning on roads covered in rubber
particles and diesel, nicely lubricated with water.

From today's _New Scientist_

cite
Downpour after drought raises road deaths

19:00 10 September 03

Rainy weather influences road deaths in a far more complicated way
than previously thought. Rain does not increase the number of deaths
in crashes, provided it rained the previous day. But a heavy shower
after a dry spell causes a lethal surge in accidents

Eisenberg suggests that during a drought, engine oil and grease build
up so that when it rains the oil and water mix turns the road into a
skidpan. And people are also not as prepared for these conditions
after a long dry spell, he says.

cite

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
Old September 10th 03, 11:14 PM
Simon Proven

Alan J. Wylie wrote:

And people are also not as prepared for these conditions
after a long dry spell, he says.

No ****, sherlock. Sometimes I wonder whether some of
these scientists ever venture into the outside world.

Old September 11th 03, 08:18 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message ...
I went a bit sideways this morning on roads covered in rubber particles and
diesel, nicely lubricated with water. I put my feet down and stood up
(wierd, the process of not-falling-off a recumbent bike) and kept going - I
moved about three or four inches standing up! So I rode a bit slower after
that. Hopefully a bit more rain has washed the crud away by now.

We are moving into Coldrain, obviously.

You were lucky, Guy. Two weeks ago my wife was caught in a massive
downpour and came off, breaking her collarbone. She now has a plate
and 5 screws in her shoulder. Mind you, A&E didn't ask if she was
wearing a helmet (although that did get pretty mashed up)!

Michael MacClancy
Old September 11th 03, 10:35 AM
Simon Brooke

(Alan J. Wylie) writes:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:22:44 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" said:

I went a bit sideways this morning on roads covered in rubber
particles and diesel, nicely lubricated with water.

From today's _New Scientist_

cite
Downpour after drought raises road deaths

19:00 10 September 03

Rainy weather influences road deaths in a far more complicated way
than previously thought. Rain does not increase the number of deaths
in crashes, provided it rained the previous day. But a heavy shower
after a dry spell causes a lethal surge in accidents

This is _news_?

Eisenberg suggests that during a drought, engine oil and grease build
up so that when it rains the oil and water mix turns the road into a
skidpan.

He's never noticed that before?

For heaven's sake, I think I'd better write an atricle forthe New
Scientist explaining my new theory that water is wet.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much
Old September 11th 03, 03:01 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

I went a bit sideways this morning on roads covered in rubber particles and
diesel, nicely lubricated with water.

snippity...

You may be interested in the following...

"Downpour after drought raises road deaths

19:00 10 September 03

Rainy weather influences road deaths in a far more complicated way than
previously thought. Rain does not increase the number of deaths in crashes,
provided it rained the previous day. But a heavy shower after a dry spell
causes a lethal surge in accidents.

Daniel Eisenberg of the University of California, Berkeley, stumbled across the
link while studying the dangers of driving under the influence of drugs. He
knew that there are more accidents on rainy days and wanted to show that this
factor was not influencing his results.

But when Eisenberg calculated the annual and monthly figures for rainfall taken
from the US Weather Service's 20,000 weather stations, and compared it with
nearly 430,000 fatal crashes between 1975 and 2000, he found that the number of
deaths fell in rainy months.

It was only when he looked at the daily figures that he found the expected
result - a 1.2 per cent increase in the rate of fatal crashes with every
centimetre of rain that falls.

Engine oil and grease

Eisenberg says the longer the dry period before it rains, the higher the number
of deaths (see graph), so a dry month with a downpour can have more deaths than
one with incessant drizzle.

He found that the combination of a shower after a 21-day drought increased the
number of fatalities nearly threefold. "I think my study is the first with
large-scale data to show the magnitude of the effect," he says. The work will
appear in Accident Prevention & Analysis.

Eisenberg suggests that during a drought, engine oil and grease build up so
that when it rains the oil and water mix turns the road into a skidpan. And
people are also not as prepared for these conditions after a long dry spell, he
says.

Adrian Runacres, a forensic accident meteorologist at the UK's Transport
Research Laboratory at Crowthorne, says that tests in the UK have confirmed
that the build-up of dust and rubber from tyres can form a greasy film when it
rains. "Also the crud that builds up blocks drainage paths between the chips on
the surface of the road," he says.

But Runacres says that the most important factor is probably motorists driving
in heavy rain as though it were still dry, and tailgating other vehicles.
Eisenberg says that highway authorities should warn motorists of the added
danger when it rains after a drought.

Mick Hamer"

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old September 11th 03, 03:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message
k...

Eisenberg suggests

But is he certain?

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old September 11th 03, 03:37 PM
Tony W

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message
k...

Eisenberg suggests

But is he certain?

Over street ironworks -- Yes.

And sit up straight and aspirate your H's young Jedi.

Old September 11th 03, 06:34 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Tony W" wrote in message

Eisenberg suggests

But is he certain?

Over street ironworks -- Yes.

Not plancks?

I'll get me labcoat...

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old September 11th 03, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Just zis Guy, you know?" writes:

"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message
k...

Eisenberg suggests

But is he certain?

Yes, but where he's certain he's unprincipled and where he's
principled he's uncertain.

Simon (probably)

;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
;; be sobbing on a desk right now" -- Rob Miller, editor, /.