There are some odd drivers about!

Old April 5th 20, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default There are some odd drivers about!

On 05/04/2020 00:23, JNugent wrote:
On 04/04/2020 21:53, TMS320 wrote:
On 04/04/2020 16:48, JNugent wrote:
On 04/04/2020 16:32, TMS320 wrote:
On 04/04/2020 11:08, JNugent wrote:
On 04/04/2020 00:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/04/2020 15:23, JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2020 11:30, Simon Mason wrote:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...ng-sex-4009671

The lay-by is often used by cyclists, is it?

First we need a definition of 'often'; such as more or less
frequently than drivers. If you had an answer, what pearls of
wisdom would you provide? There are only two scenarios, so you
might as well tell us anyway.

I have never been to the location, so I cannot and do not have an
answer to the question I asked.

Do you?

You don't need an answer to tell us what you would like to say given
the answer you wanted.

Crystal ball or Tarot?

Clearly, all you wanted was an argument about cyclists not giving an
answer. You had nothing waiting had you been given an answer.

No goalpost shifting essay? Well, what a pleasant change.

Though it looks like a decent enough refuge to pull out of the way
of a tailgating driver.

Do cyclists often show enough courtesy to move off or over to the
nearside of the carriageway when being followed by traffic which they
are inevitably holding up?

Ooh, I was once dribing up a 1 in 4 in the Lake District where the
single track widened in places for a cyclist to let me go. But I was
impressed by his stamina and after we crested he disappeared into
the distance.

So he deliberately held you up even though there was no "need" for
him to do so.

You love to spout law. I understand thatĀ* much effort is taken in
court to establish whether somebody's action was deliberate. I was in
a car so I don't know what his "needs" were.

You said: "...theĀ* single track widened in places for a cyclist to let
me go...".

Were you lying?

I was expressing an opinion. Just like most drivers think they know more
about cycling than cyclists do.

I have never seen it happen,

Your anecdote isn't a data point.

How about yours and mine taken as a pair?

Nope.

even though the Highway Code advises drivers and riders of large
*or* slow vehicles to do exactly that.

Assuming there are places to safely pull in to. Roads rarely have
pull in places, let alone safe ones.

TRANSLATION: "Sod the Highway Code when it isn't convenient for me. I
*like* holding people up and complaining when they overtake me".

Translation: I prefer not to take the risk of falling under someone's
wheels.

Please point out where all these pulling off places are. Other than in
your imagination.

You mentioned plural examples: "places".

I did. You were talking about the general case - "Do cyclists often show
enough courtesy to move off...?"

Please feel free to wriggle.

If you need any of this translated try
http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/scouse-translator.asp
Old April 5th 20, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 10:11:02 AM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 9:16:54 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 8:22:25 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 8:05:52 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 4:49:31 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

I love it on single tracks when an impatient driver gets delayed by
having to negotiate a way past another driver.

I love it on motorways when there are tailbacks for miles and drivers
happily put up with it, seeing at least pesky cyclists aren't
involved.

Which motorway did you throw yourself onto?

A63 - not a motorway though, but a 70mph dual carriageway.

I also got run over by a 44T truck, don't forget!

And you're still here to tell the tale... can I ask how well have you
recovered from that ordeal?

I am very well, thank you with only a little residual damage to my left leg where the truck ran over it. I can't run anymore, but can walk and cycle OK. I was very lucky!

I enjoy reading biographies and am often amazed by what some people
have survived and achieved in their lives. And the truth is that
usually you just never know what someone else has gone, or is, going
through... anyway, stay lucky (I know this is what so many other
people are wishing for during these present uncertain times too).

Thanks - that was much appreciated!
Old April 5th 20, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 05/04/2020 10:17, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

That's all you could do - express the opinion that there was sufficient
carriageway width for the cylist to move to his nearside and let you
overtake him in safety.

I am doing you the favour of accepting your opinion. You were there.

But the cyclist decided to continue obstructing you (and yes, you said
that, in terms).

I have never seen it happen,

Your anecdote isn't a data point.

How about yours and mine taken as a pair?

Nope.

Why not?

even though the Highway Code advises drivers and riders of large
*or* slow vehicles to do exactly that.

Assuming there are places to safely pull in to. Roads rarely have
pull in places, let alone safe ones.

TRANSLATION: "Sod the Highway Code when it isn't convenient for me.
I *like* holding people up and complaining when they overtake me".

Translation: I prefer not to take the risk of falling under someone's
wheels.

So should nobody ever overtake you?

Please point out where all these pulling off places are. Other than
in your imagination.

You mentioned plural examples: "places".

I did. You were talking about the general case - "Do cyclists often show
enough courtesy to move off...?"

Perhaps I should not have assumed you would easily follow the gist of
what you *yourself* had said. When I said that you had mentioned
"places" in the plural, I was referring to your comment:

"...the single track widened in places for a cyclist to let me go...".

That was a plurality of places just on that little bit of that journey.

More than one overtaking opportunity - and he decided to obstruct you at
each of them.

That was terrible behaviour, as I'm sure you will agree.

Please feel free to wriggle.

If you need any of this translated try
http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/scouse-translator.asp

Please feel free to try to wriggle further.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 5th 20, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

You are not alone and don't take notice of ignorant trolls. Shame on all
who keep silent when someone is having a 'Black Dog' episode! I am
thinking of you!
Old April 5th 20, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 7:52:56 PM UTC+1, colwyn wrote:

I am very well, thank you with only a little residual damage to my left leg where the truck ran over it. I can't run anymore, but can walk and cycle OK. I was very lucky!

I enjoy reading biographies and am often amazed by what some people
have survived and achieved in their lives. And the truth is that
usually you just never know what someone else has gone, or is, going
through... anyway, stay lucky (I know this is what so many other
people are wishing for during these present uncertain times too).

Thanks - that was much appreciated!

You are not alone and don't take notice of ignorant trolls. Shame on all
who keep silent when someone is having a 'Black Dog' episode! I am
thinking of you!

Cheers - I wasn't depressed or anything in 2012-13, I was suffering from an incurable illness called MdDS that I endured for 15 months until it drove me to attempt to take my own life. That attempt also got rid of the illness, so it wasn't all bad!

https://mddsfoundation.org/about/

Old April 5th 20, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
colwyn[_2_]

On 05/04/2020 20:07, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Well , I am glad you are feeling ok' I wish you all the best and trust
that nobody should ever feel the way, you must have felt at the time.
Anyone insensitive to someone's condition and using it for cheap point
scoring is probably suffering a different disorder and should be offered
treatment. Best wishes from me!

Old April 5th 20, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sun, 05 Apr 2020 09:07:04 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2020 11:05:56 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

[]

I thought you were going to be nice to Simon; maybe not.

You have always been a boring ****.

I appreciate that, cheers. Oh, if you want boring, try a one word post;
how about:

Pillock.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old April 5th 20, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 23:21:25 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 04/04/2020 20:20, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 15:48:54 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

On 04/04/2020 16:32, TMS320 wrote:

On 04/04/2020 11:08, JNugent wrote:
On 04/04/2020 00:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/04/2020 15:23, JNugent wrote:
On 03/04/2020 11:30, Simon Mason wrote:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/bur...s-shock-after-

findi
[...]

Courtesy to other road users works both ways. One should only overtake
when safe (and legal) to do so.

I don't disagree.

But obstruction of the highway in contravention of the Highway Code is
also to be deprecated, as I'm sure you will agree.

Of course; but cyclist /are/ proceeding along the highway, not an
obstruction. Badly parked cars are an obstruction.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old April 5th 20, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 05/04/2020 15:55, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Apples and pears. One requires a manouevre, the other requires a steady
course.

Please point out where all these pulling off places are. Other than
in your imagination.

You mentioned plural examples: "places".

I did. You were talking about the general case - "Do cyclists often
show enough courtesy to move off...?"

Perhaps I should not have assumed you would easily follow the gist of
what you *yourself* had said. When I said that you had mentioned
"places" in the plural, I was referring to your comment:

I want to know where all these pull in places are that you think
cyclists could use.

"...theĀ* single track widened in places for a cyclist to let me go...".

That was a plurality of places just on that little bit of that journey.

OK

More than one overtaking opportunity - and he decided to obstruct you at
each of them.

That was terrible behaviour, as I'm sure you will agree.

In the scheme of things not particularly so. I encounter lots of drivers
on motorways that genuinely have no reason not to move to the left.

Please feel free to wriggle.

If you need any of this translated try
http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/scouse-translator.asp

Please feel free to try to wriggle further.

Ah yes, I have committed the sin of saying that if drivers aren't
perfect it excuses cyclists from being perfect.

Old April 6th 20, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 5 April 2020 15:55:02 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

What we are dealing with here is a total lack of respect for the law.
Motorists should move out of the way of faster vehicles. BTW Tu Quoque is not a defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pw97LpoUJs

What drivers can do Mr Pounder Esquire UK 20 October 30th 18 09:30 AM
Is There No Low Too Low for Drivers? Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen UK 0 June 16th 16 05:21 PM
Drivers dob themselves in after hit and run Alycidon UK 0 March 24th 16 01:07 PM
OAP drivers Sylvia Wood UK 24 April 6th 09 02:22 AM
Not All Bus Drivers are Sh!ts Neal Milne UK 8 September 13th 03 08:15 PM