Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Old July 8th 05, 10:52 PM
kohpee

Default Quote of the day (from non-riders)

i'm fairly a newbie [riding for about a month or so now], and i was just
practicing in my backyard when some guy got the urge to slow down his
vehicle, roll down his window, and proceed to yell, "FREAK!" and drive
off soon after [my backyard is partially viewable through a gate].

last night though, i was unicycling around downtown fullerton outside a
little boba/tea house that my friends and i were relaxing at, and i got
compliments from 2 different ladies. one simply stood there and said,
"awesome" while the other seemed very happy and thankful that I showed
her how to ride it.

Someone mentioned it in another thread, but unicycling definitely gets
people to talk to you [whether its positive or negative comments] when
you otherwise wouldn't have attracted any sort of attention. [i'm not
trying to brag or say that attention is what i find my worth in, but
picking up this hobby/sport has helped break the ice with random people,
which i find to be very refreshing in today's society, especially in the
Los Angeles area where i am, where everyone just keeps to themselves and
puts up a barrier to those around them]. ok, enough social commentary
from me i very much enjoy unicycling

--
kohpee
kohpee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10282

Old July 8th 05, 11:54 PM
kohpee

oh and another one:
i once rode around during our lunch break at work, and one of my
coworkers poked a little fun saying, "nice hobby you picking up there
eh? keeping you outta trouble? keeping you away from sex?" i was about
to pull the 'mama' card on him and make a crude remark, but just laughed
it off

--
kohpee

http://www.eddiebanee.net
kohpee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10282

Old July 9th 05, 01:58 AM
johnfoss

kohpee wrote:
*keeping you outta trouble? keeping you away from sex?*

That's pretty funny. I would hope to come back with:
"Just something to do until I can get some!"

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old July 11th 05, 06:26 PM
DarkTom

It's probably on this thread already but yesterday while riding my coker
I got:

"That's the biggest wheel I've ever seen!"

From an amazed looking wee boy.

T.

--
DarkTom - steady...

the mind is strong and the flesh is getting stronger.

"Just eat less pies, and then the loads on your seatpost will be less."
- johnhimsworth
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Old July 11th 05, 06:36 PM
TheoELind

while busking on saturday, I received this remark: "Oh I see, all that
talent scared the other wheel off? Too bad it took half the frame with
it."

--
TheoELind - Beaten up, but not out

Dave Lowell is my main man.
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

Old July 11th 05, 08:47 PM
Brave Sir Stupid

johnfoss wrote:
kohpee wrote:
*keeping you outta trouble? keeping you away from sex?*

That's pretty funny. I would hope to come back with:
"Just something to do until I can get some!"

"are you kidding? this thing is hands-free".

..max
"watch this"

Old July 11th 05, 09:00 PM
alexmay

i get alot off duff looks, because people from essex are mostly stupid
****s.
they stare at me as if I'd just killed a kid or something worse.
it's only the old people around here that admire the skill of riding a
uni. they're probably glad to see a youth that's not tagging up walls or
mugging people.

--
alexmay - ¬

'The wagbook (freewebs.com/wagbook)'
(http://www.freewebs.com/wagbook/index.htm)
alexmay's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9914

Old July 11th 05, 09:27 PM
Loosemoose

it's only the old people around here that admire the skill of riding a
uni.

I think its an England thing. I was in Stratford-Upon-Avon yesterday
(really touristy), and the main groups of admiring people were

1. Japanese Tourists (with cameras aplenty)
2. OAP's (day trippers), which are always great to talk to. They ask all
the relevant and interesting questions, and have a fantastic take on it
all. One yesterday asked me how much my 26" cost me, and when I told him
it was about £500 he said it was more than he paid for his first house
in the 1930's!
3. Young kids, always love 'the clown', and it keeps them entertained.

The only bad thing I have to say is a lot of the middle to late aged
american female tourists don't like us very much. My friend was on a
giraffe and where most people politely step out of the way, they tend to
run & hide, tut, and shake thier heads at us... Probably for spoiling
the ambience of the park.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose - HA! Sod You Gilby, I HAVE DAMMIT!

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old July 11th 05, 09:41 PM
alexmay

Looseymoosey wrote:
*
The only bad thing I have to say is a lot of the middle to late aged
american female tourists don't like us very much. My friend was on a
giraffe and where most people politely step out of the way, they tend
to run & hide, tut, and shake thier heads at us... Probably for
spoiling the ambience of the park.

Loose. *

They're just jelous!

did you see the program on c4 about the old farts which kept complaining
about the local mountain bikers who use 'their' park as a means to
access their secret north shore course?

I've never before heard of ASBO's being given to poeple who are just
cycling through parks.

That's what happens when old people start to complain about stuff! (they
obviously had friends in high places)

Old July 11th 05, 10:13 PM
al_lieffring

I'm riding the chopper along in the 4th of July Parade in Atlanta, a
20ish girl shouts out to me from the crowd "Why is your wheel so big?"
without missing a beat, I reply "b'cause I like it that way" She was
amused.

--
al_lieffring - World famous mediocre unicyclist

sola rota Ya'll
Al Lieffring :O)
'Al's Unicycling Club'

al_lieffring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2053