A nice thought

Old May 6th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill

Default A nice thought

still me wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2007 09:47:09 -0700, Dane Buson wrote:

In rec.bicycles.misc Hadron wrote:
Ozark Bicycle writes:
Time is a consideration. But, why drive across town to the gym and
spend 45 min on a treadmill (and then back across town to get home)
instead of a ~45 min round trip to the convenience store/library/video
store etc.? Personally, I'd much rather walk or bike outdoors on
'errands' than spend time on a treadmill or 'exercise bike' at a gym.
There is no comparison : the gym bike will make you work a lot
harder. It is constant effort to keep the pedals spinning.

I somehow doubt that you can get a better workout on a gym bike. If
nothing else, they tend not to be comfortable to use for long periods.

If you really have a problem with coasting too much, get a fixed gear.

Personally, when I work out, I really want to work out. I push myself
as hard as I can for the workout period. Walking to the store is not
working out. So, back to my original point - I don't have time to
waste walking to the store. Any free time I can pry out can go into a
real workout.

That is counter-intuitive. Run to the store if you don't want to waste
time walking. If you don't think running at near sprint speed is a real
workout then we are on 2 different planets.
Gym bikes basically are not worth the bother.
Just get on a bike and think of the hardest place to ride and do it.
Today I rode 4.5 hours into the mountains and back, hard, and my legs
are telling me I got a good workout.
Bonus, finding stuff on the side of the road.
Another baseball cap for me today.
If you are really serious about wanting to go to the gym, then why not
ride as hard as possible and get warmed up before hitting the gym??
Are you going for muscles, cardio, weight loss, or what?
More information is always good for better advice, and there is plenty
to be found here.
Bill Baka
Old May 8th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
bdbafh

On May 3, 10:48 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On May 3, 9:09 am, still me wrote:

On 3 May 2007 06:27:57 -0700, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Some of it is a time consideration. I can find an hour a day to
exercise, but just one hour. I don't have another half hour to walk to
the local store and back too.

Time is a consideration. But, why drive across town to the gym and
spend 45 min on a treadmill (and then back across town to get home)
instead of a ~45 min round trip to the convenience store/library/video
store etc.? Personally, I'd much rather walk or bike outdoors on
'errands' than spend time on a treadmill or 'exercise bike' at a gym.

The people who amuse me are those that will struggle to find a parking
space 25-50 feet closer to the store - sometimes even sitting in their
cars and waiting just to avoid walking for an extra minute.

Perhaps multitasking is the answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbL_5rH1QQ

-bdbafh

Old May 8th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill H.

On May 5, 8:56 pm, Bill wrote:

Another baseball cap for me today.

Do you really put on hats that you find on the side of the road?

Old May 8th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Bill Sornson

Bill H. wrote:
On May 5, 8:56 pm, Bill wrote:

Another baseball cap for me today.

Do you really put on hats that you find on the side of the road?

The maggots have infested his brain.

LOL

Old May 13th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Kruger

Michael Press wrote:
On May 3, 10:27 pm, "Mike Kruger" wrote:

Which means those of us who are long-married can discuss with a
spouse the merits of a new bike versus a gym membership and get a
fair amount of enthusiasm for the new bike, even from a non-cycling
spouse.

What are gym dues? $60/month. It will take a while to buy a new
bicycle. A recently married acquaintance of mine with a good
salary made a deal with his wife. For every dollar he spent on
armament he would provide two dollars for her disposition.

$60 a month is $720 a year, $1440 in two years, $2160 in 3 years.

You can finance a nice bike habit for $60 a month for a recreational rider
or commuter.

Your experience may vary. I expect many guys doing criteriums are spending
considerably more.

--
Mike Kruger
An opinion should be the result of a thought, not a substitute for it.

A nice thought Ozark Bicycle General 40 May 13th 07 07:12 PM
Please have a thought Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 January 8th 06 01:33 AM
Saw these, thought of you. Mark Thompson UK 4 January 11th 05 07:28 PM
Thought I'd seen it all John Miller UK 1 December 21st 04 07:59 AM
just a thought Pete @ eclipse UK 6 September 4th 03 10:01 AM