Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old October 6th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Default THE GOLDEN RULE

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

george conklin wrote:
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
. ..

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"bill" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:
"Jack May" wrote in message
. ..
"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
Cholesterol is both. It harms you when you eat it, and there is
no
dietary necessity to eat it.
Tell that to the hawk that is using my back yard as a supermarket
for birds and squirrels.

People have evolved over millions of years to eat meat. We know
that gathering activities by women in tribes could not provide
enough calories to keep people from starving to death.

...In the event that they're spending all their time savenging,
which
we no longer do. And keep in mind that these people did not eat a
lot of meat, and much of the meat they did eat was in the form of
worms and bugs. Anyone in favor of adding worms and bugs to the
supermarket shelves because we're evolved to eat them? ;-)

Hunting and scavenging meat was required to provide enough
calories.
Our millions of years of evolution as meat eaters would tend to
make
meat eating more than just a simple choice.

We are omnivores, which means we can choose. If you look around
you,
there's no shortage of calories in most developed nations.

Also no shortage of processed food that is now working to shorten
people's lives. We are indeed omnivores but that part of evolution
has
locked us out of being vegetarians in the natural world, since we
can't process grass the same way that cattle do.

That is why we eat animals. They eat grass; we eat the animal which
has processed the grass for us. Simple.

That is the way it's *supposed* to work. But as you've often pointed
out, grass is not what most meat animals are fed these days. Grain
is
among the more wholesome things they get.

True Amy. But whan can we do about it? Any ideas?

Support small farms that produce this way instead of trying to wipe
them
out

Small farms would condemn about 75% of the current world's population to
death. That is not a solution except for death.

I don't know if the 75% is correct but the basic idea is sound.

A couple of points about this discussion.

Frist, food is much safer today than at any time in history. There is
no study that disputes this. Sure there are al osrts of issues with
additives, pesticides, etc. but the negative impacts of these is far
less than the positive efects of refrigeration and rapid
transportatiion to market.

Second, while I will not be trapped into arguing for fried foods and
other choices that are sub optimum the reality is that many of the
dietary problems in modern society as a much related to (non dietary)
life style as to what is consumed. For example, in a study of Eskimo
and Inuit societies it was found that the traditional diet was
extremely high in fat. It has a been a long time since I read the study
so I'm not sure what the exact number was but the tradtional diet had
over 50% of its calories from fat. Yet there was virtually no obesity
nor heart desease nor diabetes. Why? Because in the tradional
lifetstyle these folks perfomred lots of hard, physical, labor in very
low temps and without large amounts of fat in the diet they simply
could not do so.
Obesity and heart desese and diabetes struck these people with the
advent and adoption of the snow mobile. As the amount of physical work
went down drastically without a change in diet bad things began to
happen.
Similar findings have been show in other societies such as the Masai as
well as tribes in the Amazon and South Pacific.

The point is that biologically humans are quite able to eat and
flourish when their diet is linked in a postive way with life style. If
one wants to be sedentary then perhaps the solution is massive caloric
deprivation.

Anyway, poor life style choices far outweigh mass farming as a cause of
human misery.

Except that the poor lifestyle we are supposed to live today is
correlated with much longer life expectancy. When the study which showed
that you had to be about 50 lbs overweight before life was shorter was
published, the establishemnt went nuts. They live on a crisis-per-day
syndrome. But yes, you are right that we have safer food today than ever
before. The textbook we use in Human Societies mentions that 75% of the
world would die if we all went back to small-scale farming, so that figure
is established well enough to be a standard exam item.

Old October 6th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"george conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

george conklin wrote:
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
. ..

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"bill" wrote in message
. ..
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
[...]

Cool. Make students' grades contingent on swallowing misinformation whole
without questioning it. No wonder you're so invested in believing and
making others believe it's true. Because if it's not, you've miseducated a
*lot* of students, and have written records of that fact.

Old October 6th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
Amy Blankenship wrote:

"bill" wrote in message
.net...

Trans fatty acids? Direct cholesterol intake, I.E. eggs?

Commercial eggs are bad for you, but pastured eggs are high in good
cholesterol and low in bad cholesterol. I've lost about 4 lbs since my
hens
started laying.

The eggs you buy in the store come from hens same as the ones from
your barnyard; they're not manufactured products. Nutrient content
varies depending on the feed, but cholesterol content is fairly
constant.

good for an exercise oriented body. The obesity plague is a definite
problem with many people developing diabetes early on.

This is largely because processed starch is more easily converted to sugar
by the body.

The glycemic index of white bread is 100. The glycemic index of wheat
bread is 99. Processing isn't the issue.

That's standard processed wheat bread. Real wheat bread is when you mill
the wheat berries just before baking. Got any figures on that?

Old October 6th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article .net,
"george conklin" wrote:

Small farms would condemn about 75% of the current world's population to
death. That is not a solution except for death.

I don't know if the 75% is correct but the basic idea is sound.

No, it's not. Where do you think 75% (actually more) of the world's
population gets its food now? From small farms. Large scale
agribusiness farming is the purview of economically developed countries
which feeds a fraction of the world's population regularly, and which
does provide emergency capacity when food production fails in
ecologically difficult areas due to drought, flooding, fires, etc. In
the latter case, large scale farming does save lives. However, 75% of
the world's population is not all going to suffer such catastrophes at
once.

There are arguments in favor of small farming as well, in terms of
controlling crop disease epidemics, pest control, animal health,
ecological diversity, soil conservation, use of ecologically appropriate
cultivars, etc. Large scale farming is massively energy inefficient and
is viable so long as cheap petroleum is available. If memory serves, in
the U.S. it takes about 16 calories of energy input to provide one
calorie of food on your table. By comparison, hunting and gathering is
of necessity a 1:1 ratio over time (else the hunters and gatherers would
have starved to death).

Obesity and heart desese and diabetes struck these people with the
advent and adoption of the snow mobile. As the amount of physical work
went down drastically without a change in diet bad things began to
happen.
Similar findings have been show in other societies such as the Masai as
well as tribes in the Amazon and South Pacific.

Sedentary lifestyles are unhealthy. That's not exactly news. It is the
same phenomenon as seen in the U.S. of course, which has developed over
75-100 years. The effects are dramatically noticeable among relatively
isolated groups that get rapidly introduced to technology and "modern"
foods.

The point is that biologically humans are quite able to eat and
flourish when their diet is linked in a postive way with life style.

Well, yes, of course. Eat a nutritionally balanced diet and not too
many calories for your lifestyle. Yup. As is quite clear, though,
humans can survive for long periods on a suboptimal diet due to being
omnivores.

If one wants to be sedentary then perhaps the solution is massive
caloric deprivation.

I'd say that's the wrong phrasing. It's simply that intake needs to be
balance with expenditure. If I sit at a desk all day long in air
conditioned comfort, I only need 1800 k-calories per day to keep my body
weight constant. If I eat lunch at Burger King, I would be close to
meeting that caloric need in a single meal. When I ride my bike 375
miles/600 km in a weekend, I need a few more k-calories (13,000 or so
just for riding, plus basal metabolism k-calories).

Anyway, poor life style choices far outweigh mass farming as a cause of
human misery.

That's true to an extent, but there are both individual choices and
social factors to be considered. Social engineering in the U.S. has
predisposed us to eat high calorie, high fat, low fiber diets with
predictable health consequences.

Except that the poor lifestyle we are supposed to live today is
correlated with much longer life expectancy. When the study which
showed that you had to be about 50 lbs overweight before life was
shorter was published, the establishemnt went nuts.

50 pounds overweight is not unusual in America. I've been there myself,
now I'm only 5 pounds overweight after resuming bicycling and changing
my diet pretty dramatically. The study you cite was not definitive.

They live on a crisis-per-day syndrome. But yes, you are right that
we have safer food today than ever before.

We have less acutely dangerous food but not necessarily safer food. The
recent E. coli outbreak shows, however, that modern food is not "safe"
in an acute sense. Dangerous bacterial contamination from poor
practices has been the bane of modern food production. The events are
rare but widespread when they do occur. Listeria contamination in meat,
as well as E. coli in meat and vegetables; also hepatitis in some
vegetable products, have hit the news in the past 10 years. There are
also issues of longer term food safety- contamination with pesticides
and synthetic chemicals, prion diseases, and possibly safety issues with
genetically modified organisms (the latter not having yet been
demonstrated "in the wild" as it were. With any luck it never will be).

Heart disease and diabetes are more prevalent than at any time in human
history. That is in part due to food not being safe, although this is
not food safety as it is normally thought of. In this case it is the
overavailability of poor food choices.

The textbook we use in Human Societies mentions that 75% of the
world would die if we all went back to small-scale farming, so that figure
is established well enough to be a standard exam item.

That "well-established" figure may simply be propaganda serving a
specific policy end. Who paid for the studies, and who wrote/paid
for/sponsored the textbook? Textbooks an excellent tool for creating a
skewing the student's world view in a way that profits somebody. Read
everything with a grain of salt (and perhaps you already do).

Perhaps you should read Michael Pollan if you haven't. _The Omnivore's
Dilemma_ is a good starting point.
Old October 6th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
bill

Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article ,
bill wrote:
future due to the junk food plague and the fact that people actually
think that sitting at a computer all day is *work*. Work is BTU output
actually doing something like our parents did.

Hey, I'm a second generation computer geek. Anyway, if you want to
get strict about it, BTU output is neither necessary nor sufficient
for work.

Yeah right,
I am an engineer who does a lot of crunching numbers and my work comes
out of my brain except for maybe lifting a computer or two once in a while.
If you think 'work' does not involve BTU or calories expended then you
are just fooling yourself into an early "Push up the daisies" scenario.
Bill Baka
Old October 6th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
bill

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article .net,
"george conklin" wrote:

Small farms would condemn about 75% of the current world's population to
death. That is not a solution except for death.
I don't know if the 75% is correct but the basic idea is sound.

No, it's not. Where do you think 75% (actually more) of the world's
population gets its food now? From small farms. Large scale
agribusiness farming is the purview of economically developed countries
which feeds a fraction of the world's population regularly, and which
does provide emergency capacity when food production fails in
ecologically difficult areas due to drought, flooding, fires, etc. In
the latter case, large scale farming does save lives. However, 75% of
the world's population is not all going to suffer such catastrophes at
once.

75% of the world's population is surplus anyway. I just read where the
United States is going to top 300 million around October 15. Compared to
the country (this one) I grew up in that is about 150 million too many.
We are paving over everything, quite literally. I went to visit the
houses I grew up in, back in Illinois and all the corn fields I grew up
playing in are now built over with housing or "Condo-fields". If we keep
replacing corn with people we are going to be in deeper **** than we are
now. Rolling the global population to about 1 billion (max) and keeping
it there with some no growth thinking is about the only way the human
race will be here in another 200 years. I think we are setting ourselves
up far a mass plague or starvation that is going to thin out the
population. We just plain doesn't need so many people.

[...]

This reminds me of an anecdote that I read once somewhere. You see
really, really fat people, and you see really, really old people but you
never see really fat and old people. I saw Rose Kennedy on television
last night at 104 and she was skinny. You just don't make it much past
70-75 by being a sedentary porker.

The point is that biologically humans are quite able to eat and
flourish when their diet is linked in a postive way with life style.

Only until we fish the oceans out of healthy fish and pave over just a
bit too much farmland.

Well, yes, of course. Eat a nutritionally balanced diet and not too
many calories for your lifestyle. Yup. As is quite clear, though,
humans can survive for long periods on a suboptimal diet due to being
omnivores.

If one wants to be sedentary then perhaps the solution is massive
caloric deprivation.

I'd say that's the wrong phrasing. It's simply that intake needs to be
balance with expenditure. If I sit at a desk all day long in air
conditioned comfort, I only need 1800 k-calories per day to keep my body
weight constant. If I eat lunch at Burger King, I would be close to
meeting that caloric need in a single meal. When I ride my bike 375
miles/600 km in a weekend, I need a few more k-calories (13,000 or so
just for riding, plus basal metabolism k-calories).

That is an extreme example. Maybe 1/100,000 people put out that much
energy for the weekend. If you sit at a desk all day you should only
need about 1,500 calories a day unless you are over 6 feet tall and have
more mass to support. Maybe 1,200 for the average woman.
I have to envy you that you can take the entire weekend for riding and
not have to worry about wife/kids/house/car or whatever. I am married
with all of the above and it is only rarely that I can sneak out for a
12-14 hour marathon ride/hike on a weekend. There is always something to
be done at home, since it is my home and not just a rented bachelor pad.

Anyway, poor life style choices far outweigh mass farming as a cause of
human misery.

That's true to an extent, but there are both individual choices and
social factors to be considered. Social engineering in the U.S. has
predisposed us to eat high calorie, high fat, low fiber diets with
predictable health consequences.

I would add here that poor lifestyle also includes having 4 or more kids
and then wondering what happened to your life because you always have to
be doing something to support the kids. The diets are still of our own
choosing, like whether mom wants to cook or just gives the kids money to
go to McJunk. Sit down restaurants have the same problem since they are
cooking to be listed on the 5 star gourmet listings if they can and
healthy food rarely makes the gourmet list.

Except that the poor lifestyle we are supposed to live today is
correlated with much longer life expectancy. When the study which
showed that you had to be about 50 lbs overweight before life was
shorter was published, the establishemnt went nuts.

50 pounds overweight is not unusual in America. I've been there myself,
now I'm only 5 pounds overweight after resuming bicycling and changing
my diet pretty dramatically. The study you cite was not definitive.

50 pounds overweight is pretty definitive to me since that is where I am
right now due to too many things other than biking I had to take care of
this year. Also a friend who ambushed me over the weekends and his idea
of lunch was a Chinese all you can eat buffet. Chinese is good, sort of
and I ate about 2 plates of Broccoli and a plate full or steamed fish
and shrimp but still managed to gain weight with that as the only meal
of the day. I think the Wok oil on the stir fry Broccoli got me.

They live on a crisis-per-day syndrome. But yes, you are right that
we have safer food today than ever before.

We have less acutely dangerous food but not necessarily safer food. The
recent E. coli outbreak shows, however, that modern food is not "safe"
in an acute sense. Dangerous bacterial contamination from poor
practices has been the bane of modern food production.

I can attest to that since the only 3 times I have gotten sick in the
last 30 years have been due to food poisoning and non of those cases was
and fun at all. I used to eat off the 'Roach coaches' that frequent the
S.F. Bay Area, but now I avoid them like the plague.

The events are
rare but widespread when they do occur. Listeria contamination in meat,
as well as E. coli in meat and vegetables;

Yeah,
Just go to Mexico far enough beyond the border and eat anything with
local vegetables thrown in. I did and got a bad case of "Montezuma'a
Revenge".

also hepatitis in some
vegetable products, have hit the news in the past 10 years. There are
also issues of longer term food safety- contamination with pesticides
and synthetic chemicals, prion diseases, and possibly safety issues with
genetically modified organisms (the latter not having yet been
demonstrated "in the wild" as it were. With any luck it never will be).

Genetically modified foods are and have been a fact of life for hundreds
of years through selective breeding and grafting of orchard trees.
Don't fool yourself that just because a scientist did it in a lab it is
any different, cause it ain't what grows in the wild.

Heart disease and diabetes are more prevalent than at any time in human
history. That is in part due to food not being safe, although this is
not food safety as it is normally thought of. In this case it is the
overavailability of poor food choices.

Heart disease is due to people becoming more and more spoiled through
technology, plain and simple, with McJunk food coming in a close second.

The textbook we use in Human Societies mentions that 75% of the
world would die if we all went back to small-scale farming, so that figure
is established well enough to be a standard exam item.

And a 75% reduction in global population would be bad (("*how*"))?
6 billion is already way too high. Global destruction has begun, well 40
years ago, and just keeps growing. There will be a breaking point, maybe
at 10 billion, maybe at 15, but it is coming. Population growth cannot
keep going exponentially. City dwellers may have no appreciation of the
outdoors but it is damned nice to be able to be the only person sitting
in a forest under a nice waterfall with no people for miles around.
At one with nature and out of cell phone range.
Bill Baka

Old October 6th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Amy Blankenship wrote:

"Matthew Russotto" wrote in message
et...

The glycemic index of white bread is 100. The glycemic index of wheat
bread is 99. Processing isn't the issue.

That's standard processed wheat bread. Real wheat bread is when you mill
the wheat berries just before baking. Got any figures on that?

Unless some magic occurs during a delay between the milling of the
flour and the baking of the bread, it makes no difference. Not
surprising, really; the digestible carbohydrates in whole wheat bread are
exactly the same as those in white bread; the only difference is the
removal of indigestible fiber.

Old October 6th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
bill wrote:

75% of the world's population is surplus anyway.

[...]
now. Rolling the global population to about 1 billion (max)

OK, you first.
Old October 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
.. .

"george conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

george conklin wrote:
"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
. ..

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in
message

"george conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"bill" wrote in message
. ..
(Matthew Russotto) wrote:
[...]

It is a refereed textbook in the 10th edition. Sorry about that. Other
articles think that figure may be too low.

Old October 6th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

"bill" wrote in message
om...
Tim McNamara wrote:
In article .net,
"george conklin" wrote:

Small farms would condemn about 75% of the current world's population
death. That is not a solution except for death.
I don't know if the 75% is correct but the basic idea is sound.

No, it's not. Where do you think 75% (actually more) of the world's
population gets its food now? From small farms. Large scale
agribusiness farming is the purview of economically developed countries
which feeds a fraction of the world's population regularly, and which
does provide emergency capacity when food production fails in
ecologically difficult areas due to drought, flooding, fires, etc. In
the latter case, large scale farming does save lives. However, 75% of
the world's population is not all going to suffer such catastrophes at
once.

75% of the world's population is surplus anyway

So volunteer to eliminate the problem with your personal action. Stop
complaining.