Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old July 22nd 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Default BIKE PATHS MAKE PEOPLE EQUALS

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
ups.com...
Listen, if it works for Bogota, then it should work for New York or
whatever other American city where the Law of the Jungle rules.

Just because the mayor of some remote city makes a stupid statement does
not make it true. India is the land of bicycle and it has not abolished the
caste system.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

Default THE GOLDEN RULE

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...

trino wrote:
In early June, his "Day

Without a Car" - a dawn-to-dusk ban on private transportation
throughout the city - won him international acclaim from
environmentally conscious Europeans.

Not in our lifetime.

That's why we are in Iraq and we support more than one tyranny out
there. And then we ignore the risks of Global Warming.

But in a democracy it is 'WE THE PEOPLE' who...

Forget about that dream. You know THE GOLDEN RULE: THOSE WITH THE GOLD,
RULE.

It has long been known that global warming, ---if it really happens quickly,
as opposed to what has been going on for 10,000 years, that is--- will
enable the human population to expand, not contract. In short, the planet
will become more friendly to the human species. This is what Europeans
hate.

Old July 23rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Suggestion only for larger/faster electric bike/scooter owners: Use
silicone to prevent vibration from loosening parts. See forum postings
(not commercial product reviews by the manufacturers' websites) as to
which models need anti-vibration preventive measures, e.g. E-Max,
possibly Ego-II, and many Chinese ebike/scooters with pedals. Just my
two cents.

donquijote1954 wrote:
wrote:
I am looking at my 2002 Taurus, I have not driven in months now - cost
used $8995 plus 8.5 sales tax, insurance before I dive it $1600 year,
taxes $300, state sticker $156, inspection sticker $36, tires $400,
battery $90, gas if I drove it 3000 miles $442.50, oil change $39...fix
parking lot dents / repaint $650 ... and the depreciation of initial
car cost.

Ebike motor $500 - bike $150 .. changed to better tires $18, lights $28
- air conditioning included free - ok I am cheap - would rather have
the 12K I spent on car in my pocket.
ebike does 30 MPH so does the Taurus after I put gas in it.

You can tell you are in love with the Ebike. I'll like to have an
affair with her too!

Old July 24th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
greggery peccary

wrote in message
ups.com...

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00. The commuter then does the
same in reverse and arrives home at 7:00 The times assume he is able
to find a lot of flat and downhill both ways with few traffic and
stoplights.

3 hours to go 20 miles??

I could go faster than that riding a single speed steel city-bike with
balloon tires when I lived on the North China Plain. That was coming
at a time when I still walked with a cane.

I have managed a 20 mile hour but there wasn't much uphill and I did
have a paceline helping me for the first 8 miles.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000; Medical
expenses from road injuries $2,000

Why would you need to get a new bike every year?

A perfectly acceptable race bike (not commuter bike) doesn't run $2000
a year in repairs and replacements.

And if you are riding to work that much why would you possibly be
falling off enough to hurt yourself that much? $50 in repairs and
medical bills is usually considered to be a major bicycle accident and
most bicyclists don't have major accidents very often (barring mountain
bikers who go out of their way to have major accidents and who are
generally very proud of how they managed to do it).

When it snows, or rains the commuter is either off work and not paid
because he cant make it in, or he is forced to get a hotel room close
to work because he can't ride home in inclement weather.

Incremental cost: Lost wages $5,000; Hotel rooms $1,000

I guess you haven't heard of a poncho, a jacket, boots, or other
articles of winter clothing. I guess you also haven't heard of
carpooling, mass transit, or using the car that most of us still have
but aren't using for ordinary short trips.

Tiring of those exceedingly long riding days and days missed with no

snip

I guess I should have read the rest of this before starting to respond.
You really have no idea of the reality of bike riding do you?

-M

i thought he was kidding...

Old July 24th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Sojourner

It has long been known that global warming, ---if it really happens quickly,
as opposed to what has been going on for 10,000 years, that is--- will
enable the human population to expand, not contract. In short, the planet
will become more friendly to the human species. This is what Europeans
hate.

Not by any credible scientist, it hasn't.

In fact, there are grave concerns regarding fruiting crops and grains -
the change in climate is already interfering with pollenation and
maturation of crops we depend on for our food.

Sojourner

Old July 24th 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

"Sojourner" wrote in message
oups.com...

It has long been known that global warming, ---if it really happens
quickly,
as opposed to what has been going on for 10,000 years, that is--- will
enable the human population to expand, not contract. In short, the
planet
will become more friendly to the human species. This is what Europeans
hate.

Not by any credible scientist, it hasn't.

In fact, there are grave concerns regarding fruiting crops and grains -
the change in climate is already interfering with pollenation and
maturation of crops we depend on for our food.

Sojourner

That does not address the issue of expanded land for growing gain crops.
Besides, the earth has gone through many such cycles in the past. 10,000
years ago most of North America was under 400 feet of ice, with Long Island
as the terminal moraine. Further, the oceans were in the past about 400
feet higher than today, and 400 feet lower too. So we are in the middle of
the latest warming cycle. No one doubted this in the past. No one doubts
it today, except that it has become political to say that the human animal
is the cause of these long-term cycles. Al Gore may sell books, but the
earth moves on like it has in the past.

Old July 24th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default RIDING A BIKE IN AMERICA REMAINS A QUIXOTIC ENTERPRISE

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Mark Hickey said in rec.autos.driving:

"donquijote1954" wrote:

Forget about that dream. You know THE GOLDEN RULE: THOSE WITH THE GOLD,
RULE.

Or this one: THE TROLLER'S RULE: THOSE WITH TOO MUCH FREE TIME, TROLL.

I take it then, Mark, that you have added Donkey Hotay to your kill
file?
--
I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

Your statement says it all, but well, what can you expect of a
Republican, because you are one, right?

See, I didn't have time this weekend to troll around. I was out
enjoying my bike and challenging the jungle out there. Well, you know,
RIDING A BIKE IN AMERICA REMAINS A QUIXOTIC ENTERPRISE.

Perhaps, I should write a book: THE ADVENTURES OF DON QUIXOTE ON A
BIKE!

PS: What an irony in the land of champions.

Old July 24th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

george conklin wrote:
Forget about that dream. You know THE GOLDEN RULE: THOSE WITH THE GOLD,
RULE.

It has long been known that global warming, ---if it really happens quickly,
as opposed to what has been going on for 10,000 years, that is--- will
enable the human population to expand, not contract. In short, the planet
will become more friendly to the human species. This is what Europeans
hate.

Yeah, and it will be even more friendly when you succeed in provoking
WWIII.

Then you'd have your Armageddon. Well, at least now we got the Third
Anti-Christ.

Old July 24th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default "WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND."

Sojourner wrote:
It has long been known that global warming, ---if it really happens quickly,
as opposed to what has been going on for 10,000 years, that is--- will
enable the human population to expand, not contract. In short, the planet
will become more friendly to the human species. This is what Europeans
hate.

Not by any credible scientist, it hasn't.

In fact, there are grave concerns regarding fruiting crops and grains -
the change in climate is already interfering with pollenation and
maturation of crops we depend on for our food.

Sojourner

Not to mention HURRICANES. But you know the saying, "WHAT GOES AROUND,
COMES AROUND."

Old July 24th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default PREDATORS WITH POLLUTING TOYS AND WMD'S

george conklin wrote:
Sojourner

That does not address the issue of expanded land for growing gain crops.
Besides, the earth has gone through many such cycles in the past. 10,000
years ago most of North America was under 400 feet of ice, with Long Island
as the terminal moraine. Further, the oceans were in the past about 400
feet higher than today, and 400 feet lower too. So we are in the middle of
the latest warming cycle. No one doubted this in the past. No one doubts
it today, except that it has become political to say that the human animal
is the cause of these long-term cycles. Al Gore may sell books, but the
earth moves on like it has in the past.

No it doesn't: Now we got PREDATORS WITH POLLUTING TOYS AND WMD'S. And
that's a recipe for the end of times.

You believe in the Bible, right? Or are you a right wing atheist? What
an oxymoron!