Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

Old April 20th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Default we are #1in gun violence

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 03:19:17 GMT, Outback Jon

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:08:32 GMT, Outback Jon
wrote:
Besides, anyone else remember the stories of how difficult it was to buy
a loaf of bread in the old Soviet Union?

I heard it was pretty easy, as long as you didn't mind
standing in line for 4 days for 1/4 loaf of week old bread, and your
sister was sleeping with the local Commisar :-)

Hehe - 4 day waiting period for bread. Guess it cut down on the crime
committed with said bread...

It increased the general loafing considerably, though.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Old April 20th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Mike A Schwab

Default Should Cyclists Pack Guns?

On Apr 19, 11:29 am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

Heaven knows the criminals will abide by laws and regulations. (Or, just
use gasoline and fertilizer.)

Actually, it is 6% diesel fuel.
And you can't use ammonium nitrate fertilizer, it is coated to prevent
moisture absorbtion.
And once you buy the uncoated variety, you must immediately mix and
explode with a blasting cap.
You wait one week, and you get duds like the follow up to the London
bombings.

Old April 20th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

Default Gun holster for bikes

On 19 Apr 2007 13:54:14 -0700, donquijote1954
wrote:

OK, now we got to work on a holster that works for bikes. Having them
neatly packed around the thighs make them particularly practical and
ready to draw...

http://www.findcoolclothes.com/produ...ntholsters.jpg

One of those, with the factory mounting bracket as shown,
would work nicely. Of course, there might be a tendency to fumble
around a bit looking for your weapon ...

Or perhaps we can make some attached to the helmet, the gun triggered
by remote control from the handlebar. I wished they could be activated
by thoughts and emotions, in which case I'd become very trigger happy.

Old April 20th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
.p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:20:43 -0400, Polarhound

Ah, but consistenly in second place to Washington DC, where
they are even MORE banned :-)

Thankfully, that is now in the process of changing:

WASHINGTON (AP) - A federal appeals court overturned the District of
Columbia's long- standing handgun ban Friday, rejecting the city's
argument that the Second Amendment right to bear arms applied only to
militias.

In a 2-1 decision, the judges held that the activities protected by the
Second Amendment "are not limited to militia service, nor is an
individual's enjoyment of the right contingent" on enrollment in a militia.

The ban on owning handguns went into effect in 1976.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit also
threw out the district's requirement that registered firearms be kept
unloaded, disassembled and under trigger lock.

Sadly, there's another story that most people aren't aware of.
I've spoken personally with the lead plaintiff's attorney in the case
about it.

The ALLEGEDLY pro-gun lobby, such as the NRA, etc, are trying
to derail it. Senator Hutchinson is part of the plan. She's
introducing a bill, to be called S - 1001 ( there is already an
equivalent bill in the House ) to repeal the DC gun laws.

This is a TERRIBLE thing. Why ?

Because if the bill passes and gets signed, the Parker suit
become moot. Null and void. Meaningless. Which means it never gets
to the SCOTUS. Which means it is only precedent in DC, not the rest
of the country.

The people pushing these bills KNOW this, and they don't WANT
SCOTUS to uphold the 2nd amendment. WHy ? That would take one of
their favorite political footballs away from them, and they couldn't
play with it any more.

Old April 20th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
bob zee

On Apr 19, 11:34 am, donquijote1954
wrote:

I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans),

I am not a republican. I am not a democrat. If you choose one over
the other, you are just proving to the rest of the world that you are
a sheep and can't think for yourself.

I think everyone should have a gun.

bob z.

Old April 20th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles

wrote:

I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans),

You probably like spinach pizza, too.

Old April 20th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Banned

On Apr 19, 9:34 am, donquijote1954
wrote:
Hey, we get screamed at, doored at, spitted upon, pushed around and
even killed, isn't it time we enjoy the same benefits as other
Americans? When is a cyclist going into a rage and mow down all those
careless SUV drivers who make us feel worthless?

Imagine this scenario: You get hit and as you roll down the pavement
you draw and...

I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans), but in light of all that violence out there, shouldn't
we rethink our strategy (everyone to himself) and get together to
launch a good nonviolent campaign?

Here's a good identifying T-shirt...http://www.cafepress.com/burncalories

Still Bush defends the right to bear arms

EVEN as President George Bush told the nation he was praying for the
victims, and that the killings in a place of learning would affect
"every American classroom and community", a White House official said
Mr Bush continued to believe in the "right to bear arms".

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/...html?from=top5

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLEhttp://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

BIKE FOR PEACEhttp://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

I think there are way to many guns, way to easy to get them BUT they
are there and are not going to go away but a clearly insane person
like Cho should not have been able to buy a gun..THAT needs to be
fixed somehow.

Old April 20th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Curtis L. Russell

On 19 Apr 2007 13:33:35 -0700, donquijote1954
wrote:

Here in the gun happy U.S. we have at least a couple of mass shootings
per year.

A lie, of course.

We are not the only one, but we are #1in gun violence... It's "as easy
to buy weapons as a loaf of bread," says this article that gauges
world opinion...

No, we're not, although we are perhaps #1 in reported gun violence.
There are cities in the world with violent death rates from hand guns
projected from reliable sources as matching Bagdad - its just they
don't do daily reports on the death rates from police, adult gangs and
youth gangs. Google the history of Rio de Janeiro and gun violence
from all sides.

Sanctioned gun violence is out of hand in the U.S. as well - and as
reported by the conservative side of the think tanks - but at least
most of it is reported. If you think sanctioned gun violence by police
and paramilitary units are even reported in much of SA, you are living
in a fool's paradise. Then you can work on figuring out the level of
criminal violence.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 20th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Bill

wrote:

I guess we cyclists are too pacific for that (or just that we aren't
Republicans),

I am not a republican. I am not a democrat. If you choose one over
the other, you are just proving to the rest of the world that you are
a sheep and can't think for yourself.

I think everyone should have a gun.

bob z.

I'm a Democrat at heart but it should be legal to at least carry a .22
pistol for the occasional big out of control dog who is determined to
take a bite out of your leg. If it is out of it's yard it is fair game.
I've been bitten twice so far and in one case a gun would have been no
use but in the other incident way out in the country there would have
been one less dog.
Bill Baka
Old April 20th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.autos.driving,rec.motorcycles
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:02:04 -0400,
wrote:

Gee, would this relate to the statistics that "black men are
more at risk of being shot than any other group" ? To which the media
always fail to add the reality ".... shot by other black men,
typically over 'turf', drugs, gangs, and money".

You need to read better newspapers. The fact that the violence is
black on black is regularly reported - in fact, it is in the interest
of cities that want tourist dollars to make that as clear as possible.

And it is also brought up regularly by black leaders, from Bill Cosby
to Jesse Jackson to black mayors of major cities. No one is hiding
this issue.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Should Cyclists Pack Guns? donquijote1954 General 465 May 7th 07 03:25 PM
Car Hits Pack of Cyclists in St. Pete Rodney Kuehl Recumbent Biking 40 February 24th 07 01:20 AM
Back pack for cyclists scouselad General 18 June 28th 05 01:39 PM
guns and bikes byron27 Australia 9 October 7th 04 01:21 AM
" 400mph cyclists kill opponents with handlebar-mounted guns " Gawnsoft UK 4 March 10th 04 11:56 PM