A nice thought

Old May 3rd 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

Default A nice thought

In article
. com,
Ozark Bicycle wrote:

On May 3, 9:09 am, still me wrote:
On 3 May 2007 06:27:57 -0700, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Some of it is a time consideration. I can find an hour a day to
exercise, but just one hour. I don't have another half hour to walk to
the local store and back too.

Time is a consideration. But, why drive across town to the gym and
spend 45 min on a treadmill (and then back across town to get home)
instead of a ~45 min round trip to the convenience store/library/video
store etc.? Personally, I'd much rather walk or bike outdoors on
'errands' than spend time on a treadmill or 'exercise bike' at a gym.

It isn't just a treadmill, it's a rat race! How you gonna win if
you don't compete?

The people who amuse me are those that will struggle to find a parking
space 25-50 feet closer to the store - sometimes even sitting in their
cars and waiting just to avoid walking for an extra minute.

--
Michael Press
Old May 3rd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
John Kane

On May 3, 9:27 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On May 2, 11:38 pm, Werehatrack wrote:

On 2 May 2007 20:02:04 -0700, Ozark Bicycle
may have said:

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's
something wrong with a society that drives a car to work out in a
gym." - Bill Nye, "The Science Guy"

(Seen in the latest edition of "Bike Bits" from Adventure Cycling.)

Nearly as absurd, IMO: The guy who gets in his car to go to the gym
just as the lawn care folks show up to mow the yard...and he's got a
perfectly good mower in the garage. Happens at least four times a
month right down the street.

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Possibly true possibly a photoshop deal but funny.
http://thewoobit.com/wp-content/uplo..._escalator.jpg

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old May 3rd 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
David Kerber

In article .com,
says...

may have said:

[...]

If it's a photoshop, then it's a really good job.

newsgroups if possible).
Old May 3rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc John Kane wrote:
On May 3, 9:27 am, Ozark Bicycle

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Possibly true possibly a photoshop deal but funny.
http://thewoobit.com/wp-content/uplo..._escalator.jpg

It appears that is a real photo.

25. San Diego Jeff02/22/2007 05:21:32 PM

I live near that gym with the escalator - Hilarious picture but nobody
who posts it mentions that the gym leases the corner of a large outdoor
shopping center that has escalators in every corner ...

Yeah I know, what fun is the truth ...

http://ww2.nutechs.com/hosting/msobc...ogSphere-1_0_2
/LordLotusBlog.nsf/d6plinks/MSOK-6LGHW9

--
Dane Buson -
"I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'M NOT GOING!"
Old May 3rd 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
John Kane

http://ww2.nutechs.com/hosting/msobc...e-1_0_2/LordLo...

--
Dane Buson -
"I'm not stupid, I'm not expendable, and I'M NOT GOING!"

Thanks Dane. I have always thought it was real but had no provenence
for the link.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Old May 4th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Doug Taylor

On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:38:57 -0600, Werehatrack
wrote:

Nearly as absurd, IMO: The guy who gets in his car to go to the gym
just as the lawn care folks show up to mow the yard...and he's got a
perfectly good mower in the garage. Happens at least four times a
month right down the street.

More absurd:

I belong to a cycling club where members routinely drive up to 30
miles 2 or 3 times a week in order to participate in group rides of 30
- 100 miles. We have over 300 members and 20 - 60 people show up to
each ride depending on the weather and how far out in east bejeezus
the particular route meeting place is.

Ironic, yes, but if you want to ride with a group, what are you gonna
do?

www.onondagacyclingclub.org

Old May 4th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Nakashima" wrote:

wrote:

A friend of a friend is a "workout freak", spending hours every week
at 'the club' on the treadmill, in spinning class, aerobics, etc. Yet,
this same person not only drives literally everywhere (Less than 2
miles to the convenience store? Take the car!) and will spend time
cruising a parking lot looking for a close-to-the-door parking place.
Go figure!

Some of it is a time consideration. I can find an hour a day to
exercise, but just one hour. I don't have another half hour to walk to
the local store and back too.

The people who amuse me are those that will struggle to find a parking
space 25-50 feet closer to the store - sometimes even sitting in their
cars and waiting just to avoid walking for an extra minute.

I happened to pass a local gym last night and take a look at their
parking lot. Sure 'nuff the cars were all parked as close as possible to
the front door.

Similar related story:
I once took a nutrition class in college. There was this athlete who had
a bodybuilder sculptured tank-top physique, volunteering information just
about every class on how healthy he eats. One day after the class
ended, I happened to be behind this Mr. Olympia candidate walking
to my next class, when he headed straight for the vending machine.
I stopped and watched in amazement as he pulled out two Paydays,
bag of Fritos and a can of Coke (not diet either)
-tom

Paydays for the carbs, fritos for the salt, and Coke for the sugar and
caffeine. Totally defensible.

What?

In all seriousness, Quite a few local racers use Coke as their preferred
"final bottle" in bike races (usually flat), and while energy bars
finesse the ingredients and cut some of the fat, a Payday bar is a
defensible (and cheap) substitute.

The Fritos were probably just for fun.

Old May 4th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 04 May 2007 01:28:13 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
"Tom Nakashima" wrote:

[...]

That candy bar has too much fat to be digested well in any race of
less than three or four hours.

--
JT
****************************
Old May 4th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Kruger

Bill H. wrote:
Gyms are better. They're air conditioned, ...

They're better socially, also, as there's usually a chance to strike
up a conversation with someone who's also there working out, and may
even be toned and attractive.

Which means those of us who are long-married can discuss with a spouse the
merits of a new bike versus a gym membership and get a fair amount of
enthusiasm for the new bike, even from a non-cycling spouse.

Old May 4th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
Ozark Bicycle

On May 3, 10:27 pm, "Mike Kruger" wrote:
Bill H. wrote:
Gyms are better. They're air conditioned, ...

They're better socially, also, as there's usually a chance to strike
up a conversation with someone who's also there working out, and may
even be toned and attractive.

Which means those of us who are long-married can discuss with a spouse the
merits of a new bike versus a gym membership and get a fair amount of
enthusiasm for the new bike, even from a non-cycling spouse.

That's a rather clever scheme! ;-)

A nice thought Ozark Bicycle General 40 May 13th 07 07:12 PM
Please have a thought Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 0 January 8th 06 01:33 AM
Saw these, thought of you. Mark Thompson UK 4 January 11th 05 07:28 PM
Thought I'd seen it all John Miller UK 1 December 21st 04 07:59 AM
just a thought Pete @ eclipse UK 6 September 4th 03 10:01 AM