stop all bike paths etc please!!

Old November 16th 07, 04:51 PM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

Default stop all bike paths etc please!!

He's probably referring to the law of unintended consequences...which,
as I notice WRT bicycling, seems to involve increased "policing" of
(i.e., restrictions on) how one may cycle and where, in direct
proportion to official "rights" such as bike paths and sidewalk bike
parks: you can't just hitch your ride to any ol' pole anymore, and you
can't simply cruise on the sidewalk (even though the real speed demons
are usually little kids, who aren't sanctioned!)....

On Nov 16, 7:30 am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
What the HELL are you talking about, my friend?

"ilaboo" wrote in message

been biking for over 50 years
12 of them in the mountains of Montana
this is not Portland Oregon--we in the bronx are getting tickets for
walking bikes on sidewalks--bike paths full of pedetrians and
wheelchairs--hot shot bikers covered with advertisements to narccistic to
stop and help bikers---you have to see this to believe it.

we have police here in the bronx who are true sociopaths. Ever wonder why
they empty their guns when they use them?--sit on the benches at City
island and you can hear they learing how to fire weapons--to give them any
power especial;ly over bicycles is outrageous.

no doubt we will ahve to pay a license fee big time--leave things the way
they are!!
just encourage people to bike--fill the streets but do not give the city
any credibility re bikes--i know you think it is better to ahve bike paths
but the reality is it may not be.

peter

Old November 16th 07, 05:23 PM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Prisoner at War

On Nov 16, 12:06 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Oh. So why didn't he just say that?

He's from the Bronx. ;-)
Old November 16th 07, 07:52 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Papa Tom

OK, I'm outta this!

Old November 16th 07, 08:54 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"ilaboo" wrote in message

[...]

The truth is that bike paths don't work at all well when they get crowded. I
only use bike paths when there is practically no one on them. This means
weekdays, not weekends.

Frankly, I don't think ANYTHING works well when crowded, and EVERYTHING
works well when uncrowded - just another reason not to live in any metro.
Everyone in the world knows that The Bronx is a hell hole. Why live there if
you don't have to?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 17th 07, 12:51 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Papa Tom

As a lifelong resident of a town that has gone from "country" to urban-like
suburb in less than fifty years, I've been torn about bike paths for some
time myself. Yeah, I wish the roads would go back to the way they were when
I was a kid and I was able to ride them anywhere I wanted to go. And I wish
drivers and cyclists could figure out how to live together and share the
pavement. But that isn't going to happen around here anytime soon.

Meanwhile, fewer and fewer people here are allowing their kids to even own
bicycles, let alone ride them anywhere. And I understand why. As an
experienced cyclist who has ridden the same roads on a regular basis for the
past 35-40 years, I find I'm constantly in life-threatening situations when
I get out on the road. So more and more, I'm packing my bike into the car
and driving to bike paths in Westchester, in New Jersey, and right here on
Long Island. A lot of other Long Islanders are doing the same. For me,
sometimes it's either that - or leave the bike in the garage and go eat a
sandwich.

Regarding this problem with the police and the laws of the road, I think
there needs to be better education all around. I ran bicycle safety
programs in our local schools for a number of years and always tried to
involve the police. Sadly, I never found one who understood the basic
bicycle laws.

Likewise, I am constantly frustrated by how little people know or CARE to
know about how to ride a bicycle safely in traffic. And why should they,
when the rules of safe automobile driving are so universally ignored?

The problems between cops and cyclists can be broken down to the basic
components of a fist fight: When two people are arguing and both run out of
intelligence, the fists inevitably start flying. Similarly, when neither
the cops nor the cyclists know what the hell they are talking about, the
bullying begins...and the cops usually win.

Old November 17th 07, 04:01 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
[...]

As we become more and more urbanized with every passing year, bike paths are
the answer to safe and fun cycling, but they must not be allowed to become
crowded. The reason they are so frequently crowded is because there are so
few of them. If there were hundreds of them all over the place, they would
not be crowded and would then be safe and fun for cyclists, not an obstacle
course as they so often are today.

Old November 17th 07, 04:27 AM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
john

so??
________________
Used Car Donation
Car & Autos Guide
http://www.zone-car.com
Old November 17th 07, 11:55 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Papa Tom

I guess the reason I'm not "getting" this is that the bike paths here are
always empty. As cool as they are, they're just too far from anywhere to
attract a lot of people -- especially since most would have to buy racks for
their cars. I say, in New York, we don't need anymore paths. We just need
safe biking roads that lead to them.

Old November 17th 07, 12:04 PM posted to nyc.bicycles, rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ozark Bicycle

On Nov 17, 5:55 am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
I guess the reason I'm not "getting" this is that the bike paths here are
always empty. As cool as they are, they're just too far from anywhere to
attract a lot of people -- especially since most would have to buy racks for
their cars. I say, in New York, we don't need anymore paths. We just need
safe biking roads that lead to them.

If there are enough "safe biking roads", the need for bike paths
disappears.

stop all bike paths etc please!! Prisoner at War General 165 December 12th 07 10:13 PM
Bike paths [email protected] General 3 January 7th 07 08:27 AM
LAB and bike paths Veloise General 14 October 15th 05 04:32 PM
bike paths Cully_J Recumbent Biking 2 August 24th 05 03:28 AM