A Word to Recumbent Riders

Old August 30th 08, 02:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Wilson[_6_]

Default OT - Iraq

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Wilson Who? wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Comrade Edward Dolan wrote:
We

Not everyone here is a USian.

mainly defeated the Soviet Union under Reagan...

When did Reagan lead the Soviet Union?

Video honoring Comrade Dolan's heroes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVdVTVR-j0Q&feature=related.

--

I believe this version may be more to Mr. Dolan's liking:

http://tinyurl.com/6bgmnx

That is the type of crap the ignorant rednecks will take seriously.

Where I come from we consider Rednecks enlightened and give them special
jobs like political commentators on TV. Here's a sample:
http://tinyurl.com/5t7dyn

I am a McCain supporter, on the belief he will likely go into a
semi-senile rage, start WW3 and end the human race. Then a better dominant
species would have a chance to evolve.

--
Tom Sherman - Hell

Ah........cheerful resignation coupled with a sense of speedily impending
doom - life at its fullest.

Old August 30th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Wilson[_6_]

Default A Word to Recumbent Riders

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Wilson Who? wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
live_evil wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
In my opinion, bikes that cannot be clearly seen above the window
level of an automobile do not belong on the road. They are just
too
dangerous for everyone.

How are they too dangerous to everyone? A typical recumbent rider is
at the same height as an automobile driver.

Can you define "a typical recumbent rider"?
Are typical they who ride Optima Baron or Velokraft NoCom?

How is the recumbent/car situation different than a standard bicycle
or motorcycle being in the blind spot of a truck or van?

It is not different.

It is different, many drivers don't see me, because my bike is much
lower than usualy car's rear view mirrors are.

My car's rear view mirris give me a pretty good view of the tarmac
behind the car: you're not lower than the road surface, are you?

As a driver, I see rabbits, cats, squirrels, crows etc. on the roads,
and they're a lot lower than a NoCom. I even see potholes and surface
floods, and they're even lower.

#1 FUD point against 'bents is that you're too low to be easily
visible.
No shortage of low trikes that don't have any trouble getting seen,
it's FUD.

Tom Sherman and Peter Clinch are both a couple of crazy loons. The fact
is that motorists do not see you as well when you are lower than what
they expect to see.

I'd no sooner ride one of these low racers in heavy traffic than I would
go out and crawl on all fours in it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't
have a death wish nor do I have a feeling of invincibility at this point
in my life.

I love the "wisdom" from "experts" who have never tried what they are
posting about. I have ridden my Sunset [1] in Chicago without problems.

[1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1940445068/.

--

I'm no "expert" and I don't need to try it to have enough "wisdom" to know
*I* don't want to do it. I'm just sayin' what I'd do. You do as you wish.

Old August 30th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Wilson? wrote:

Where I come from we consider Rednecks enlightened and give them special
jobs like political commentators on TV. Here's a sample:
http://tinyurl.com/5t7dyn

Well, those guys are an upgrade on the average US television commentator
(the bar is low).

I am a McCain supporter, on the belief he will likely go into a
semi-senile rage, start WW3 and end the human race. Then a better
dominant species would have a chance to evolve.

Ah........cheerful resignation coupled with a sense of speedily
impending doom - life at its fullest.

Rats shall inherit the earth.

--
Tom Sherman - Hell
Old August 30th 08, 11:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Espressopithecus (Java Man)" wrote in
message
ble.net...
[...]
I think the quote below comes as close as any thoughtful analysis to
pinpointing the aspects of neo-con ideology in the utterly failed Iraq
invasion.

"Well before the Iraq war started, many critics, including this writer,
argued that the neocons' good vs. evil world view was simplistic and
dangerous, and that the Bush administration's approach to the Middle
East was wrongheaded and if implemented would severely injure U.S.
interests."

You confounded moron! By what measure has the Iraqi invasion failed? We
effected regime change without much difficulty and the insurgency is now
on
the wane. We may yet end up with a democratic government in Iraq and one
allied with the US. I consider those results to be a smashing success. Of
course, liberal assholes like you do not like America to succeed at
anything.
[...]

I'm still unable to find anything connecting the decisions to disband
the Iraqi army and dismantle the Iraqi bureaucracy to the neo-con's aim
to create a "free market paradise".

People who blather on and on about the "neo-cons" are all idiots and
don't
know what the hell they are talking about. President Bush made all the
pertinent decisions with respect to the Iraq War, most especially the
decision to invade.

We have gone from a surplus to a half trillion dollar deficit. The
dollar has fallen by half compared to the euro. Real median wages
have actually fallen all under the watch of a conservative
administration. But just remember kids its those liberal assholes you
gotta look out for ! Thank you 'Ed the Great' for clarifying this for
all of us.

Since when have liberals ever been concerned about spending. They just don't
like to spend on the military since they don't care about defending this
nation from its enemies - which goes to the heart of their treasonous
natures. They would rather waste our resources on education and other
foolish enterprises.

We mainly defeated the Soviet Union under Reagan by outspending them on the
military, but these kind of object lessons are forever lost on cowardly and
treasonous liberals.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Tell comrade Putin about how we defeated the Soviet Union...they just
did a name change. Bush looked into his eyes and saw a good
man...well Bush must have been hung over at the time. The
conservatives you so revere gave it to them a new empire built on $120
oil.

But I must agree...our education dollars have apparently went wasted.
Old August 31st 08, 03:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

[...]

Tom Sherman wrote:

I love the "wisdom" from "experts" who have never tried what they are
posting about. I have ridden my Sunset [1] in Chicago without problems.

I'm no "expert" and I don't need to try it to have enough "wisdom" to know
*I* don't want to do it. I'm just sayin' what I'd do. You do as you
wish.

Wilson, I have some low trikes myself, but I do not ride them in heavy
traffic. Such low trikes are for quiet residential streets and they work
fine for that provided you are not crazy enough to think you have a right to
the lane. You must always be over to the side of the road. You do not have
to be in the gutter or right next to the curb, but you do need to stay out
of the lane of motor vehicles.

Tom Sherman is probably a pretty smart cyclist, but his advice will get not
so smart cyclists killed. When you are in the street with motor vehicles,
you must see to your personal safety first and foremost no matter what kind
of bike you are on. Many is the time I have taken to the sidewalk when
traffic gets really nasty.

Old August 31st 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,
writes:

I saw no riders with rear view
mirrors, probably because they offer no useful information in dense
traffic other than to terrorize riders who believe they have an affect
on traffic with that knowledge.

Rear-view mirrors /are/ indeed useful, and not necessarily terroristic.

There. I said it.

Eric Sande once or twice suggested here that the trouble
with having mirrors is: you end up using them and
subsequently relying on them.

I'm happy to announce that is not the case.

I especially appreciate my [handlebar] mirror
when I'm hauling my trailer.

And y'know what? When you're in the thick of city traffic,
the more cognisant car drivers behind you can see you looking
in your mirror, and you can see them. That lends to
communication and negotiating your maneouvers with your
fellow street users. Much better than fleeting shoulder-check
glances.

Not using a mirror means sometimes having to do longer
sustained shoulder-checks. And the longer one shoulder-
checks, the more one deviates from one's line.

Maybe folks in the UK are more in tune with communicational
uptake than us North American stunned wunders. But I make
good use of my mirror, and I'm glad I have it.

A rear view mirror is not only nice to have, but it is essential when riding
a recumbent. Looking back over your shoulder on a recumbent is impossible. I
like the kind of mirror that attaches to my helmet (I have it bolted on). I
use that mirror constantly when I am on the bike, checking what is behind me
every 5 seconds or so. A recumbent cyclist who does not use a rear view
mirror is an idiot.

Old August 31st 08, 03:33 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]
I am a McCain supporter, on the belief he will likely go into a
semi-senile rage, start WW3 and end the human race. Then a better dominant
species would have a chance to evolve.

Peace is bad, war is good. You should have learned that much from your
favorite leftists - Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. Jeez, do I have to
explain everything to you!

Old August 31st 08, 03:37 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]
I am a McCain supporter, on the belief he will likely go into a
semi-senile rage, start WW3 and end the human race. Then a better dominant
species would have a chance to evolve.

Peace is bad, war is good. You should have learned that much from your
favorite leftists - Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. Jeez, do I have to
explain everything to you!

Rodents are quite resistant to radiation, and are much nicer in general
than hominids. I believe that as much as the hominids try to make the
planet uninhabitable, rodents will survive.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 31st 08, 03:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

wrote in message

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
We mainly defeated the Soviet Union under Reagan by outspending them on
the
military, but these kind of object lessons are forever lost on cowardly
and
treasonous liberals.

Tell comrade Putin about how we defeated the Soviet Union...they just
did a name change. Bush looked into his eyes and saw a good
man...well Bush must have been hung over at the time. The
conservatives you so revere gave it to them a new empire built on $120
oil.

Bush is not a true conservative, he is a Repub. The Russia of today is not
the Soviet Union of old. Russia has many Muslim minorities of their own
which I am hoping will keep them busy. Maybe the g.d.f. Europeans could take
a tougher stand against Russia. Now wouldn't that be something!

But I must agree...our education dollars have apparently went wasted.

Ah yes, if only everyone were a genius like ME, all our troubles would soon
be over. But first we must banish all liberals to Thule. They do nothing but
**** everything up.

Old August 31st 08, 04:06 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Edward Dolan

Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
[...]
I am a McCain supporter, on the belief he will likely go into a
semi-senile rage, start WW3 and end the human race. Then a better
dominant species would have a chance to evolve.

Peace is bad, war is good. You should have learned that much from your
favorite leftists - Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot. Jeez, do I have to
explain everything to you!

Rodents are quite resistant to radiation, and are much nicer in general
than hominids. I believe that as much as the hominids try to make the
planet uninhabitable, rodents will survive.

Yes, rodents and cockroaches! If it weren't for an asteroid strike some
millions of years ago, the dinosaurs would still rule. Just eat and be
eaten - and throw in lots of sex too. Life does not get any better than
that.

I am reminded of an old Navy warrant officer from my boot camp days. He said
all he wanted out of life was a nymphomaniac for a wife and a cellar stocked
with every liquor imaginable. Everyone laughed except me. I was already on
my way to becoming a Great Saint.