Cyclist at war!

Old October 18th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling
Jym Dyer

Default Cyclist at war!

I've heard that some (not all) bicycling advocacy groups
can have that ideological attitude (yer either furrous or
a Guinness) if one doesn't share their ideas of bike lanes
being slap-dashed everywhere as a "safety" panacea.

=v= I have never encountered any such group. Certainly
there are groups that are into bike lanes, but not, in my
experience, with that kind of attitude. Could give some
kind of example?

Of course, there's always the other side of the coin --
those who ideologically don't want bike lanes installed
anywhere at all.

=v= This kind of group, I've run into plenty, and they *do*
have the "agree with our every dogmatic particular or you
are an enemy of bicycling" attitude. Surely you've seen
this afoot in most of the newsgroups this is crossposted to.
_Jym_

[Followups limited to possibly-relevant newsgroups.]

Old October 18th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default this solution if for banana republics

On Oct 17, 9:15*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Revolutions are for when The System doesn't work.
But it's been my experience that The System
/does/ work when we approach it with arguments
that transcend "special interest," and connote
the "general good." *Politicians love to take
credit for stuff that makes more people happy
than unhappy. *They also like to get critics
off their backs.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

First off, the Banana Revolution is for Banana Republics and Canada is
not known to grow bananas, even if there's no civilized behavior on
its roads either. Anyway here's the perfect scenario for it...

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-
"Florida is the only place Ive ever lived where I can maintain a
20+mph average.
As stated to the point of painful redndancy, the 3rd world environment
makes
cycling a very undesirable activity to most people anywhere off of the
usual
scenic/tourist routes."

I call it Banana Republic environment, albeit a rather sophisticated
one... Actually it decided the elections the changed the meaning of
democracy...

US: A Sophisticated Banana Republic
The Times of India, December 17, 2000
The US is not on par with banana republics where the winner of a
presidential election is known long before election day. But the US
Supreme Court has just said in an amazing verdict on the Bush-Gore
dispute that Americans have no fundamental right to vote in a
presidential election. In that case, the US looks like and smells like
a banana, no matter howsophisticated its procedures.

http://banana-republic.net/20001217_us_banana.html

http://banana-republic.net/

Old October 18th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 17, 9:29*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tim McNamara writes:

Then why do I keep meeting smarter people riding bicycles than riding
motorcycles?

Because we bicyclists have to read the minds of the
motor vehicle operators around us. *We often
have to do their thinking for them. *We know what
they're gonna do before they know what they're
gonna do. *Because what they're gonna do is gonna
be the most detrimental thing to us if we aren't
heads-up about their brainless movements.

And besides, bicycles are often a more intelligent
choice of vehicle.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

You contradict your claim to being smart when you refuse to bring here
the bike facilities that work elsewhere. But it ain't so much that you
are stupid, it's simply that you are elitist and are selfish as
such...

I quote here from someone who have figured out that your kind should
shut up and mind your own business..

"First thing I would do would be to purge snobbish/elitist advocates
from leadership or policy making positions at any publicly funded
bicycling advocacy/educational organization; i.e. the clubby
enthusiast type who believes cycling skill (or advocacy goals) is
defined by being a racer (like himself) or a cyclist (like himself)
who moves consistently at speeds greater than 12mph."

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post7688868
Old October 18th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 17, 9:45*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * ComandanteBanana writes:

On Oct 17, 9:15*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
Revolutions are for when The System doesn't work.
But it's been my experience that The System
/does/ work when we approach it with arguments
that transcend "special interest," and connote
the "general good." *Politicians love to take
credit for stuff that makes more people happy
than unhappy. *They also like to get critics
off their backs.

cheers,
* * * * Tom

I don't know. I feel like taking desperate steps...

We know already.

You yack, yack, yack, but you don't /do/.

You say you want a revolution but all you do
is plant seeds of FUD. *You stir-up contention,
pit people against people, and attempt to destroy
any positive inroads that have been made to integrate
bicycling as a regular & accepted feature of traffic.

In short: you are truly anti-socially and
anti-humanly evil. *I see you for what you are.

You are an elitist bicyclist that is as selfish as those behind the
wheel of an SUV.

But of course, you are in the revolution... You are a collaborator,
right?

Old October 18th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 17, 11:02*pm, (Road Glidin' Don) wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:58:52 -0700 (PDT), ComandanteBanana

wrote:
On Oct 17, 4:34*pm, "Road Glidin' Don" wrote:

You do realize you're trying to out-argue a mental midget who lives in
his Mom's basement, right?

Yeah sure, then why are afraid to debate the issues, and always try to
dodge the bullet so to speak.

Bicyclists are in the vanguard of the revolution because the rest of
you out there burn oil from Venezuela and the Middle East and would be
happy to have a Chavez or... what's the name of Iran's president?

So we preach by example, not fly a little flag made in China.

So now where do you stand?

By the way, Chavez says we are sinking ship, but then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins
President Chavez sees america as sinking ship
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/53087.html

***

If American ship goes down, Chinese ship goes down, and Venezuelan
ship goes does down.

That's why is better to plan the revolution around bananas, not oil!

Your own people can always eat the banana.

First motorcyclists are good because you imagine they might be allies
on your pet project. *

Then you discover you're shunned by them, so now they're the enemy.
Problem is, you've already cross-posted to us in hopes of support (no
rec.auto is there?).

You've just demonstrated that you adopt whichever position you want in
order to make yourself feel like a significant somebody. *After all,
that's the whole point with impotent losers like yourself, isn't it?
No girlfriend and living in your mom's basement, you don't have much
else in life to feel good about. *You think it doesn't show, banana
boy?

And, speaking of bananas, that style of seat you sit on? *It's gonna
result in scar tissue on that little noodle between your legs. *Not
that you're ever going to use it to procreate anyways...- Hide quoted text -

I just give up any effort to rescue the monkey within you. I think
your sheepish comes through... baaah!
Old October 18th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 17, 11:04*pm, wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
Then why do I keep meeting smarter people riding bicycles than
riding motorcycles?

Because we bicyclists have to read the minds of the motor vehicle
operators around us. *We often have to do their thinking for them.
We know what they're gonna do before they know what they're gonna
do. *Because what they're gonna do is gonna be the most detrimental
thing to us if we aren't heads-up about their brainless movements.
And besides, bicycles are often a more intelligent choice of
vehicle.

I think these two postings are examples of what causes trouble on many
roads. *It is an elitist attitude of bicyclists who let car drivers
know how much smarter they are and how much more environmentally their
bicycle (recreation) is than driving a car. *As I have often mentioned
here, I ride on many narrow, heavily traveled roads in the Santa Cruz
mountains and rarely have differences with car traffic, except when
with a rider who has the elitist bicyclist mentality.

What may not be apparent to many self righteous bicyclists is that
their body language reveals their disdain for motorized traffic,
eliciting rude and often dangerous behavior in response. *As for mind
reading, it doesn't take a seer to understand what the bicyclist out
in the traffic lane is trying to say about his motorized fellow human.

Nothing is safe from me.

Don't ride near me.

Jobst Brandt

Some of the elitist cyclists (not to be confused with the elite
cyclists) are just selfish that want to be like the lion, and yet they
look like a parrot in their colorful lycra suits...

THE PARROT THAT KNEW HOW TO ROAR

Once upon a time, in the deep jungle, there was a Parrot whose
capacity to mimic others impressed everybody. One day, observing that
all the little animals panicked when the King of the Jungle roared,
and fearing for his own life, he learned to roar himself... It
occurred to him that he could form an alliance with the Lion and
partake of his feasts, and even, why not, be revered like a king...

One time, however, the Lion --who happened to be running out of little
animals to hunt and was mighty hungry-- noticed the Parrot, and
roared: "You are exactly what you I'm looking for!" and gulped him
down amid the bird's cries of, "I'm a lion too!"

***

Hey, wannabe lions, don't you understand that everybody hates you?
Including the lion?
Old October 18th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default the official position of the revolution

On Oct 18, 12:51*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * writes:

I think these two postings are examples of what causes trouble on many
roads.

You are totally wrong.

* It is an elitist attitude of bicyclists who let car drivers

know how much smarter they are and how much more environmentally their
bicycle (recreation) is than driving a car.

No it isn't.

* As I have often mentioned

here, I ride on many narrow, heavily traveled roads in the Santa Cruz
mountains and rarely have differences with car traffic, except when
with a rider who has the elitist bicyclist mentality.

Good for you. *Bully for you!

Hey, if you **** off the bull, you may get gored.

OK, my plan calls for separate bike facilities and taming traffic, but
not slower by any means, just smarter. Bring experts from Germany
(unlimited speeds) and Holland (bike facilities), and retire 50% of
drivers. Yes, we are better off with them riding bikes.

Of course, that's also the official position of the revolution.

Old October 18th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 18, 3:56 am, Jym Dyer wrote:
I don't know. I feel like taking desperate steps...

=v= ... in front of an oncoming SUV ...

In short: you [ComandanteBanana] are truly anti-socially
and anti-humanly evil. I see you for what you are.

=v= Also, he's no comandante, because nobody would ever be
stupid enough to follow him. (Whatever became of Generalissimo
Ape****, who used to take him down a notch on this point?)
Also, he's no king of the apes, because even apes wouldn't
be stupid enough to follow him.
_Jym_

Maybe the sheep are not smart enough to follow the ape.

You prefer the wolf in the sheep's clothing.
Old October 18th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Oct 18, 12:48 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

Biologically, humans /are/ Great Apes, along with
chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas and orangutans.
So, since our "lyric" revolutionary/Pied Piper
claims to be king of us all, he presents himself
as someone suffering some sort of messiach complex.

You are not an ape, you have the brain of a lesser monkey. Now dance a
little bit, stupid monkey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EyXPs2_Jk
Old October 19th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:

[...]

I typically see less than a dozen cyclists per week while driving, and
typically pass less than 10 per month, so motorists being held up by
cyclists is hardly a common occurrence. Yet, the same anti-cyclist
attitude can be encountered. It has nothing to do with the behavior of
cyclists, and everything to do with people who grew up as privileged
spoiled brats who have to have their way (literally in this case).

"How dare you take your rightful share of the road!"

These are the same people who run red lights, jump their turn at 4-way
stops, pass on the shoulder in congested urban freeway traffic, tailgate
people in the right lane with their "brights" on instead of passing to
the left.

What may not be apparent to many self righteous bicyclists is that
their body language reveals their disdain for motorized traffic,
eliciting rude and often dangerous behavior in response. As for mind
reading, it doesn't take a seer to understand what the bicyclist out
in the traffic lane is trying to say about his motorized fellow human.

Relying on motorists to pass at a close distance is foolish,
particularly drivers of wide SUV's, truck and vans that are
multi-tasking (eating, talking on the phone, etcetera). Unless the lane
is extra wide (e.g. right lanes on certain urban arterials), or there is
a vacant parking lane or paved shoulder, taking the lane is the only
sensible choice.

"God forbid that I get delayed a few seconds on my way to the mall, and
have to moved my foot from the throttle to the brake and back!"

Nothing is safe from me.

Don't ride near me.

Is Vancouver near Palo Alto?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.