NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities

Old April 28th 05, 10:48 PM
Cycle America

Default NYC Power Proclamation Sets Lead for American Cities

Just got the text for the Mayor's proclamation that will be issued in
New York City at Battery Park on Friday 5/6 at noon! This is too
exciting, especially when you consider the fact that NYC is probably the
most influential city in the world. For better or for worse, the lead
they they set is often followed by cities all over America and the
world. From skyscrapers to signature city parks (Central Park), theirs
have always been among the first. Even America's freeways and urban
renewal movements all had their basis in New York. And it wasn't until
after Robert Moses had nearly covered the Big Apple with expressways and
destroyed whole neighborhoods as he displaced 3/4 of a million people so
he could build even more roads, that New Yorkers finally began to look
inward; to understand the importance of community.*

In the following words (and the **epic** biking report that follows
them), we can see how they are making it safe to use the bicycle to
recreate and work in and amongst one another. They show us that the City
of New York now fully embraces bicycling as a serious form of
transportation. While there is much work to be done, New York City
officials are at least showing other cities what they can do to keep
themselves from spiraling down the same dark staircase from which they
are now climbing out of:

========= NYC proclamation text ===========
Whereas: Aside from being a wonderful way to more viscerally enjoy the
sights, sounds, and sensations of spring, bicycling significantly
improves the quality of life in New York City. Bikes have long been the
preferred vehicle of the young, but those of us who thought we outgrew
our bicycles the day we received our driverıs license should reconsider
our youthful enthusiasm for pedal-powered locomotion. Bicycling produces
no air or noise pollution, decreases traffic congestion, and saves
energy, which is reason enough for all New Yorkers to consider biking
when making transportation decisions. Furthermore, bicycling is a
low-cost means of travel that offers invaluable health benefits. We may
live in a world dominated by the automobile, but the bicycle is far from
antiquated.*

Whereas: In 1987, a group of dedicated bicycle enthusiasts began working
to transform their dream of a nationwide network of bike-friendly roads
and paths into reality. Once completed, the National Bicycle Greenway
will connect major cities, enhance cycling safety, and bolster the
viability of bicycle travel. The NBG National Mayorıs Ride is a fun and
engaging way to promote the Greenway and safe cycling. Weeks ago,
riders set off from the four corners of America on a journey that
includes stops in 52 major U.S. cities. Today New York City invites the
NBG contingent arriving from Boston to hop off their bikes, stretch
their sore legs, enjoy the view from Battery Park, and join us in
celebrating the joys of bicycle travel.

Whereas: H.G. Wells said, ³Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no
longer despair for the future of the human race. New Yorkers second
this sentiment, and take this opportunity to extend their gratitude to
NBG, Recycle a Bicycle, and Transportation Alternatives, home to Noah
Budnick, the dedicated activist who suffered injuries while working on
behalf of his fellow cyclists. We join these worthy organizations and
their supporters in wishing all of those involved in the Mayorıs Ride
the best of luck in their two-wheeled journey to a healthier, happier,
and greener future.*

Now therefore, I, Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor of the City of New York,
in recognition of this important event, do hereby proclaim Friday, May
6, 2005 in the City of New York as

*************** ³National Bicycle Greenway Day

Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:50:34 -0700
From: "Cycle America/Nat Bicycle Greenway (NBG)"
Subject: New York City: Bikes Taken Very Seriously

We asked the people in New York City to fill out our Biking Report Card
questionnaire. And what they sent back will fully astound you:

http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMay...CityBiking.htm

What it shows is that bicycling is a hugely important part of the
transportation mix! And when NYC Sports Commissioner Ken Podziba once
again present's Mayor Bloomberg's amazing proclamation stressing their
city's commitment to cycling, we will all be able to see that his are
far more than just words!!!

In New York City, Bikes Are Taken Very Seriously Indeed!!

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Lactate testing / training [email protected] Racing 18 July 18th 04 08:37 PM
Trek Crank Length Garrison Hilliard Techniques 84 February 10th 04 06:05 PM
why increasing strength doesn't (automatically) increase power Andy Coggan Racing 121 November 21st 03 05:17 PM
Armstrong's Tour De France Time Trials Rik O'Shea Racing 33 November 6th 03 03:46 AM