Highway code

Old November 20th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

Default Highway code

You see its about taking care of the people who are vulnerable, not just
"I'm in a car and roads are made for cars". When you're driving a car
you are driving a lethal object, as you always told me. Roads are made
for everyone to use, as a driver AND a cyclists I drive around cyclists
as I would like other people to drive near me. As a non-cyclist you have
forgotten what its like to have 2 tons of BMW hurtling at you 2ft from
your elbow.

Section "Road users requiring extra care" [by motorists]

Rule 213:

Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road
surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches
on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to
any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Rule 163 (Note example picture)
"...give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room
as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)"
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070314

As for overtaking cyclists with double white lines, rule 129, note the
exemption for cases of cyclists and horses traveling 10mph:

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you
MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter
adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary,
provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a
pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling
at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Hence if they are going 10mph you MUST stay behind them.

Like it or not, its the law by which you will be judged

Old November 20th 07, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

Hmmm, that whole email thing again.
Old November 20th 07, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 20 Nov, 12:41, Coyoteboy wrote:
Hmmm, that whole email thing again.

OK, now that you've woken us up, you can't leave us dangling. Prey
tell us to whom you were intending to write, and what they did to
require correction.

David Lloyd
Old November 20th 07, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

David Lloyd wrote:
On 20 Nov, 12:41, Coyoteboy wrote:
Hmmm, that whole email thing again.

OK, now that you've woken us up, you can't leave us dangling. Prey
tell us to whom you were intending to write, and what they did to
require correction.

David Lloyd

Father Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.
Escalated into an argument about highway code quotations as he didn't
believe me. To be fair they didn't say exactly what I thought they did
but they point in the same general direction. It was one of those times
where we both come out with a comment and then refuse to back down lol.
Old November 20th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy wrote:
Father Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?
Old November 20th 07, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
LSMike

On 20 Nov, 16:57, POHB wrote:
On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy wrote:

Father Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

Close, ISTR that a cyclist cannot do anything but wobble, we proceed
by a series of swerves.
Old November 20th 07, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

LSMike wrote:
On 20 Nov, 16:57, POHB wrote:
On 20 Nov, 15:15, Coyoteboy wrote:

Father Was moaning about cyclist wobbling when stood up pedaling.

A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

Close, ISTR that a cyclist cannot do anything but wobble, we proceed
by a series of swerves.

If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
hard work. I think his original point was that standing up and thrashing
like the guy was (was on a dual slalom on the road with a 36 tooth ring
going uphill) wobbling in about 1ft magnitude waves and that that was
unnecessary. I argued the point but it got a tad heated and ended up
arguing about the rights and wrongs of bikes being treated differently
to cars on the road.
Old November 20th 07, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Nov 20, 5:44 pm, Coyoteboy wrote:

If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
hard work.

This comes up from time to time. It's impossible to ride in a dead
straight line. With a skillful rider at speed the curves are so slight
they are imperceptible but they are there. If you doubt this try to
ride with your headset locked.

--
Dave...
Old November 20th 07, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

dkahn400 wrote:
On Nov 20, 5:44 pm, Coyoteboy wrote:

If sat down I'm fairly sure that I can proceed without wobbling, but its
hard work.

This comes up from time to time. It's impossible to ride in a dead
straight line. With a skillful rider at speed the curves are so slight
they are imperceptible but they are there. If you doubt this try to
ride with your headset locked.

--
Dave...

True, considering roads aren't dead straight either I wouldnt expect it
to be practicable
Old November 20th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Nov 20, 4:57 pm, POHB wrote:

A cyclist is entitled to wobble. I'm sure I read that a judge ruled
that many years ago, but I can't find a reference. Anybody?

I heard that years ago. There are a few unauthoritative references to
its being a ruling but I'be never been able to find a good reference
to it.

--
Dave...

Highway Code amendments wafflycat UK 102 August 24th 07 09:09 AM
More Highway Code and the CTC Bob Downie UK 3 May 3rd 07 11:00 AM
Bit OT - New Highway Code Russ UK 5 February 4th 05 11:41 PM
Highway Code Changes Just zis Guy, you know? UK 14 May 5th 04 10:44 AM