TOUR climbs,

Old February 20th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
datakoll

Default TOUR climbs,

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/sp...ef=othersports
Old February 20th 08, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
datakoll

On Feb 20, 8:35*am, datakoll wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/sp...cycling.html?r...

Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton
Mount Hamilton Road & Quimby Road, San Jose, CA
Old February 20th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"datakoll" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 8:35 am, datakoll wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/sp...cycling.html?r...

Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton
Mount Hamilton Road & Quimby Road, San Jose, CA

http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

Looks like it's clearing up, and just in time. Could still be VERY messy up
there. No snow though, which is good. They have a "plan B" in case the
ascent/descent of Mt. Hamilton is too dangerous, but I don't think they'll
have to use it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 20th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

Gene Daniels writes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/sp...ef=othersports

....where you can find:

# Coming after three rolling climbs through the mountains of the
# Diablo Range, the climb of Mount Hamilton will take riders nearly
# 2,000 feet in elevation in five miles, at an average grade of 7.5
# percent.

# In cycling, climbs are rated based on the steepness and length, with
# Category 4 being the easiest and Category 1 the most
# difficult. Mount Hamilton is rated “beyond category” according to
# the Tour of California organizers, although it is somewhat shorter
# than most beyond-category climbs in the Tour de France. There, it
# would probably rate as a Category 1.

# The route of Stage 3 begins in Modesto and crosses three Category 4
# climbs before beginning the Hamilton ascent. On Monday, when this
# reporter rode the Mount Hamilton climb, piles of snow remained in
# wooded parts of the mountainside and in shaded corners of the
# switchbacks on the ascent. In some corners, the roadway pitched
# upwards at 16 percent.

Who writes this gross hyperbole? I rode over Mt. Hamilton on Saturday
and there wasn't any snow along the road except in a few reamining
greying snow plow heaps that have sinvce been washed away by rain.
There are no 16% grades unless you choose to cut across the inside of
hairpin turns. This road is not as difficult as Sonora or Ebbetts
passes in the sierra, or climbes in the alps other than the climb
being only as hard as the competition makes it.

Although steeper than the west side, the east side is shorter,
starting from 2200ft.

http://tinyurl.com/ytmcm5

Sierra Rd. is another matter. Although not long, it is steep and at
the end of the stage:

http://tinyurl.com/2gjqza

You can zoom in on thes maps by changing map scale and click in the
map to place the red cursor.

Jobst Brandt
Old February 20th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
sally

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
et:
Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton
Mount Hamilton Road & Quimby Road, San Jose, CA

http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/hamcam/

Looks like it's clearing up, and just in time. Could still be VERY messy
up there. No snow though, which is good. They have a "plan B" in case
the ascent/descent of Mt. Hamilton is too dangerous, but I don't think
they'll have to use it.

It was raining all night, but the sun came out just before the start of the
race. The climb and summit should be fine, but the downhill could be muddy
and slippery.
Old February 20th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...urTracker.html

Jobst Brandt
Old February 20th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

wrote in message
Gene Daniels writes:

Who writes this gross hyperbole? I rode over Mt. Hamilton on Saturday
and there wasn't any snow along the road except in a few reamining
greying snow plow heaps that have sinvce been washed away by rain.
There are no 16% grades unless you choose to cut across the inside of
hairpin turns. This road is not as difficult as Sonora or Ebbetts
passes in the sierra, or climbes in the alps other than the climb
being only as hard as the competition makes it.

I have climbed Mount Diablo, Mount Hamilton and Sonora pass dozens of times.
Sonora is steeper by far coming from the east end, harder then the west end
in my opinion. As for being harder overall, well, if you start fully from
the bottom at Alum rock road, its a fairly long challenging climb to the top
at the observatory. I would say overall that its as least as tiring as
climbing Sonora pass, but Sonora is much steeper and more strenuous in a
shorter space of time and miles. If there are any 16 percent sections on
Hamilton, they come in the last 5 miles. Hamilton climb has flat sections
where you just glide along, its not a relentless climb like Sonora Pass. I
was on a 16 percent grade Sunday, and this reminded me competely of the
torture of Sonora Pass. Clearly some riders seem to need lower gears, and
you could really hear the spokes and wheels creek! Other riders were using
the zig zag pattern to get up the climb. I never had to do that on Hamilton,
but I think I did on Sonora pass!

GBMT

Old February 20th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
datakoll

http://images.google.com/images?q=he...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.coepark.org/

http://www.coepark.org/gallery/photography.html

I didn't wrote that JB who who who wrote that.
I'm tirering Google Ert on the route.
if the lame goatsuckers who who who put this show on would hand out
some GPS coordinates....

YO JB see any frozen tar-antulas ?
Old February 20th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Feb 20, 8:20*am, wrote:

Who writes this gross hyperbole? *

And how did they get time off from the Oprahma campaign?

Central PA Climbs Burt Racing 4 July 5th 07 09:20 PM
breathing on climbs Bill General 0 July 6th 06 09:03 PM
breathing on climbs mieshie General 30 July 6th 06 12:13 AM
Welsh Climbs Simonb UK 4 July 27th 04 05:45 PM
Climbs in the GTA David Conroy Rides 6 January 12th 04 03:03 PM