Tsali

Old July 20th 03, 09:04 PM
Nelson Binch

Default Tsali

"ctg" wrote in message
.. .
| Anyone have any local info or pics besides the tourist pages found by
| Google? Thinking about stopping there on my way to the Outer Banks in
| August. Local info on camping would be great too.

Before hitting the trail, stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Full bike
shop, rafting, canoeing, etc shop and a great little restaurant (have the
Sherpa Rice) too boot. The whole area is an outdoor fun Nexus with
whitewater rafting, the Appalachian trail, Tsali, Lake Fontana (where they
shot the movie "Nell") the Great Smoky Mountain Railway (where they shot the
movie "The Fugitive") and all in striking distance of touristy stuff like
Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg TN.

Outer Banks? What Outer Banks? (granted, from a NC perspective, the Tsali
area is about as far from the banks as you can get.)

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Old July 21st 03, 01:10 AM
ctg

"Nelson Binch" wrote in message
"ctg" wrote in message
.. .
| Anyone have any local info or pics besides the tourist pages found by
| Google? Thinking about stopping there on my way to the Outer Banks in
| August. Local info on camping would be great too.

Before hitting the trail, stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Full bike
shop, rafting, canoeing, etc shop and a great little restaurant (have the
Sherpa Rice) too boot. The whole area is an outdoor fun Nexus with
whitewater rafting, the Appalachian trail, Tsali, Lake Fontana (where they
shot the movie "Nell") the Great Smoky Mountain Railway (where they shot

the
movie "The Fugitive") and all in striking distance of touristy stuff like
Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg TN.

Outer Banks? What Outer Banks? (granted, from a NC perspective, the Tsali
area is about as far from the banks as you can get.)

Yeah, after further consideration I may set aside Tsali for now and make
that another trip. Now it's looking more like I might be stopping somewhere
in VA, maybe around Richmond. I change my mind quick, lol. Thanks for the
tips though.

Chris

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com

Old July 21st 03, 02:02 AM
Michael Dart

"ctg" wrote in message
.. .

"Nelson Binch" wrote in message
"ctg" wrote in message
.. .
| Anyone have any local info or pics besides the tourist pages found by
| Google? Thinking about stopping there on my way to the Outer Banks in
| August. Local info on camping would be great too.

Before hitting the trail, stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Full

bike
shop, rafting, canoeing, etc shop and a great little restaurant (have

the
Sherpa Rice) too boot. The whole area is an outdoor fun Nexus with
whitewater rafting, the Appalachian trail, Tsali, Lake Fontana (where

they
shot the movie "Nell") the Great Smoky Mountain Railway (where they shot

the
movie "The Fugitive") and all in striking distance of touristy stuff

like
Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg TN.

Outer Banks? What Outer Banks? (granted, from a NC perspective, the

Tsali
area is about as far from the banks as you can get.)

Yeah, after further consideration I may set aside Tsali for now and make
that another trip. Now it's looking more like I might be stopping

somewhere
in VA, maybe around Richmond. I change my mind quick, lol. Thanks for the
tips though.

Chris

Richmond isn't Tsali but we have some excellent trails here. Let me know
when you'll be in town an maybe I can arrange a tour. You can camp at
Pocahontas State Park which has 9 miles of some very nice singletrack in it.
http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/pocahont.htm

The website doesn't mention the MTB trails though. (gotta do something
about that.)

Mike

Old July 21st 03, 01:51 PM
James Messick

There is a NFS campground about 1/10 mile from the trailhead, first-come,
first-serve. Fagedaboutit on holiday weekends. Turkey Creek campgroun is
about a mile before the park entrance and it's pretty good. More than one
shower at least, which is what NFS provides. There's another NFS campgrount
about 10 miles past the Tsali entrance which has no showers or flush
toilets, but should be less crowded.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
ctg

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

Richmond isn't Tsali but we have some excellent trails here. Let me know
when you'll be in town an maybe I can arrange a tour. You can camp at
Pocahontas State Park which has 9 miles of some very nice singletrack in

it.
http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/pocahont.htm

The website doesn't mention the MTB trails though. (gotta do something
about that.)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

If I do decide to stop there I'll let you know. It will probably be the
weekend of August 9th. Thanks for the info.

Chris

Old July 23rd 03, 12:13 AM
Michael Dart

"ctg" wrote in message
.. .

"Michael Dart" wrote in message

Richmond isn't Tsali but we have some excellent trails here. Let me

know
when you'll be in town an maybe I can arrange a tour. You can camp at
Pocahontas State Park which has 9 miles of some very nice singletrack in

it.
http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/pocahont.htm

The website doesn't mention the MTB trails though. (gotta do something
about that.)

Mike

Thanks Mike,

If I do decide to stop there I'll let you know. It will probably be the
weekend of August 9th. Thanks for the info.

Chris

I'll be at the Massanutten Hoo Haa races near Harrisonburg that weekend. If
you come on Friday I'll be good but if not maybe Mr. Harlow can take up tour
guide duty.

Mike