connex 10 speed chain

Old August 4th 05, 02:51 AM
bikeguy11968

Default connex 10 speed chain

I have noticed that the connex links have to be installed int he
correct orientation or they do cause some skipping. Predominantly on
the smaller cogs, 11t-13t's.. Larger ones didn't seem to affect it. I
mistakenly did one wrong on my own bike and it was painfully obvious in
the stand that it just didn't fly, so I flipped it, and life was good.
There is anotherh problem with them, but it is mostly on the shimano
ones.. They seem to have a propensity to break.. a run of chains with
weakend/weak side plates got made, and the link pins pull through. not
cool. warranty them out though..

Old August 4th 05, 03:45 AM

John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

What happens if fitted with the heart "upside down"? I checked my
two bikes with Connex links and I see one is right side up and the
other upside down. I never noticed any difference in how they rode
or shifted.

Supposedly it doesn't work so well on very small cogs.

Don't do that! What do you mean by "supposedly" and how is that
caused. This is not religion class. We can't rely on the
infallibility of the Pope here. "Let's get to the facks ma'am, just
the facks", as Sgt. Friday would say.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 4th 05, 03:55 AM

someone writes:

I have noticed that the connex links have to be installed in the
correct orientation or they do cause some skipping. Predominantly
on the smaller cogs, 11t-13t's.. Larger ones didn't seem to affect
it. I mistakenly did one wrong on my own bike and it was painfully
obvious in the stand that it just didn't fly, so I flipped it, and
life was good.

There is another problem with them, but it is mostly on the Shimano
ones.. They seem to have a propensity to break.. a run of chains
with weakened/weak side plates got made, and the link pins pull
through. Not cool. Warranty them out though.

This is a far more serious matter than cost. It's safety. When a
chain beaks in a standing sprint the rider generally flies over the
bars. This is why you shouldn't sprint in top gear on SA-AW
three-speed hubs. They reliably pop into neutral under load and speed
due to a basic design problem for which they should be taken to court
for damages. A known chain link flaw such as what you mention is
likewise a major hazard.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 4th 05, 09:00 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 02:45:23 GMT,
wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

What happens if fitted with the heart "upside down"? I checked my
two bikes with Connex links and I see one is right side up and the
other upside down. I never noticed any difference in how they rode
or shifted.

Supposedly it doesn't work so well on very small cogs.

Don't do that! What do you mean by "supposedly" and how is that
caused. This is not religion class. We can't rely on the
infallibility of the Pope here. "Let's get to the facks ma'am, just
the facks", as Sgt. Friday would say.

OK, I'll be more specific. On my bike they make a clicking noise in
the 12. What this means in performance I don't know -- I blindly
followed the printed instructions not to use it that way after
noticing that problem. Oopps, I don't mean problem since I have no
proof it was a problem. Call it a phenomenom observed by me.

Those instructions seemed to correspond in some way to my experience,
but my experience didn't prove anything. Oops, I shouldn't have said
"seemed" -- please strike that from the recond. Since I don't have an
engineering degree and have not run double-blind tests, I'll try to
refrain from putting in any heresay in this group (though Brandt did
ask if the manafacturer gave any info on this, so I guess heresay is
acceptable in those circumstances.)

But I will refrain. Heresay is not aceptable obviously. Thank you for
keeping us so clear.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
Old August 4th 05, 12:37 PM
John

snipped
[...]

John,

The "stanfordalumni" part should tell you everything.

John