Valverde reminding anyone of Pantani?

Old September 13th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Valverde reminding anyone of Pantani?

Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 13th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:28:44 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Don't remember seeing that on Ventoux 2000, today reminded more of Luz
Ardiden 2003 when Ullrich slightly dropped Armstrong on the Tourmalet
before all hell broke loose on the next climb, for reasons much
debated here at the time.

But yes it's very rare to see a rider/leader get dropped and then come
back and drop the competition...

Old September 13th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Zeno

On Sep 13, 9:28*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. *Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Nawww -- Valverde's butt is way too small!

Zeno
Old September 13th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ben Trovato

wrote:
Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. *Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Don't remember seeing that on Ventoux 2000, today reminded more of Luz
Ardiden 2003 when Ullrich slightly dropped Armstrong on the Tourmalet
before all hell broke loose on the next climb, for reasons much
debated here at the time.

But yes it's very rare to see a rider/leader get dropped and then come
back and drop the competition...

But one does see attacks fail when the attackers blow up, and a rider
with a better sense of pacing will come back.

Old September 13th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Ben Trovato wrote:
On Sep 13, 8:48 am, Keith wrote:
On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:28:44 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

Don't remember seeing that on Ventoux 2000, today reminded more of Luz
Ardiden 2003 when Ullrich slightly dropped Armstrong on the Tourmalet
before all hell broke loose on the next climb, for reasons much
debated here at the time.

But yes it's very rare to see a rider/leader get dropped and then come
back and drop the competition...

But one does see attacks fail when the attackers blow up, and a rider
with a better sense of pacing will come back.

SamSan was even further back but finished in front of all the other
favourites.
Old September 13th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

wrote:
Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. ÊWonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

--Mike-- Ê Ê Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Don't remember seeing that on Ventoux 2000, today reminded more of Luz
Ardiden 2003 when Ullrich slightly dropped Armstrong on the Tourmalet
before all hell broke loose on the next climb, for reasons much
debated here at the time.

But yes it's very rare to see a rider/leader get dropped and then come
back and drop the competition...

But one does see attacks fail when the attackers blow up, and a rider
with a better sense of pacing will come back.

Right, but it rarely happens to the top guys, probably because they
rarely attack, when they go away, especially together, that's it.
Old September 13th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

I think everyone that gets shelled and recovers should get
a two year suspension. It's time we stopped screwing around.

Bob Schwartz
Old September 13th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

wrote:

Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

I'm not saying Valverde is clean, but he's always been able to do
spectacular riding in the last 2K of mountain top finishes. I
remember him winning a stage when he was on Kelme where he came out of
nowhere and shocked the two guys who were leading and had a big gap
with 1K to go. It might actually have been on the Pandera.
Old September 13th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

nmp wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

I didn't see it happen on TV (didn't watch so closely except the finish)
but Breukink says Valverde was likely assisted somehow by Spanish fans.

http://www.rabosport.nl/wielrennen/(...20op%20Gesink%
20en%20het%20team%C2%B4#nieuws

"Yes, that was quite clear. But this is the Tour of Spain. We see this
happen every year and almost reckon with it. I am sure Valverde was not
happy with it. I heard the jury would review the TV footage. Perhaps it
will result in penalty time, but we are not wishing for that because if the Dutch tifosi had helped me like this in the Giro, I could have won the Gavia stage."

Perhaps if that's not true, someone handed Valverde a big syringe of
whatever from a team car. That's what you wanted to say right?

Old September 13th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On 13 Sep 2009 20:42:44 GMT, nmp wrote:

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Valverde dropping off and then bouncing back looks like Pantani on
Ventoux in 2000. Wonder what's in that suitcase of courage?

I didn't see it happen on TV (didn't watch so closely except the finish)
but Breukink says Valverde was likely assisted somehow by Spanish fans.

http://www.rabosport.nl/wielrennen/(...20op%20Gesink%
20en%20het%20team%C2%B4#nieuws

"Yes, that was quite clear. But this is the Tour of Spain. We see this
happen every year and almost reckon with it. I am sure Valverde was not
happy with it. I heard the jury would review the TV footage. Perhaps it
will result in penalty time, but we are not wishing for that."

Perhaps if that's not true, someone handed Valverde a big syringe of
whatever from a team car. That's what you wanted to say right?

I watched on TV and in the time he was on camera he got two quick
pushes -- really "slap-type" pushes that were very brief, not running
pushes or anything like that. Perhaps those happened off camera. He
looked annoyed at one of them and swung at the guy who did it.

Pantani Ted van de Weteringe Racing 1 July 21st 08 12:15 AM
Pantani Robert Chung Racing 3 May 26th 08 11:18 PM
Pantani Bill C Racing 49 February 17th 06 02:24 PM
Who is Pantani? crit PRO Racing 1 February 17th 05 03:27 AM
Pantani Robert & Shelley Australia 2 February 27th 04 02:17 AM