Campy 10v Headset Baseplate (Crown Race) Question - Mr. Muzi?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 19th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Campy 10v Headset Baseplate (Crown Race) Question - Mr. Muzi?

The JB Weld holding the alloy dropout in my twice-crashed Alpha Q Pro
fork has let go. Since I do have a replacement, I figured I would
replace the fork.

However, when looking into it, a coupla shops that I contacted wanted
around $80 for a Campy crown race. WHAT?! I can get a whole Chorus
headset for that. Can I recover the crown race from the damaged fork
and re-use it? I guess I could get at it destructively (i.e., chop up
the fork) without damaging the race. I really don't see any further
use for the fork - maybe as a front wheel truing stand?

Otherwise, are there cheaper races that would serve as well as the
Campy? Other solutions?

TIA

Peter