Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

Old June 16th 09, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Mavic R-SYS carbon ultimate

"Sandy" wrote in message

I really think that there is no reason for an ancien coursier (went to
FFCT from FFC 5 years ago) to pay more for wheels for a bike than he pays
for wheels for a car. Same goes for rubber. Actually, I think it's
easier to find super-expensive bike wheels than car wheels.

Now that you mention it, bike tire prices have skyrocketed. Bike tires that
last me 900 miles now cost me more than a car tire that lasts for 60,000
miles.

Old June 16th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Jun 16, 2:18*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in ...

What are some other good choices that people like?

I've been using mostly Mavic stuff. I use Kyseriums but after the foot in
the spokes crash from a year and a half ago I've been moving as I could into
the Mavic Heliums and Cosmos which are more "normal" wheels. I haven't had
any trouble at all with the Mavic wheels which is why it worries me that
they're playing with that R-SYS which can put them out of business.

I doubt it, if the R-SYS issue is resolved properly they can move on.
Mavic has a very good reputation. The Kyseriums are a good wheel, but
I dislike the fact that the wheels have to be shipped back to Mavic
for re-lacing. I can see where a dealer has to be trained however.
Old June 17th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
d p chang

Bob Schwartz writes:

I ride an HED 3 that I bought years ago. I hadn't realized how much it
had appreciated. I'm torn between saving it so my daughter can race on
it and selling it on ebay and putting the proceeds into her college
fund.

here in sf, any crappy 'trispoke' thing seems to be the hip thing to
ride around w/ (although only on the front) on a fixed gear. you could
make a killing on craigslist.

\p
---
They keep telling us that in war truth is the first casualty, which is
nonsense since it implies that in times of peace truth stays out of the
sick bay or the graveyard. - Alexander Cockburn
Old June 17th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 16, 6:05*pm, d p chang wrote:
Bob Schwartz writes:
I ride an HED 3 that I bought years ago. I hadn't realized how much it
had appreciated. I'm torn between saving it so my daughter can race on
it and selling it on ebay and putting the proceeds into her college
fund.

here in sf, any crappy 'trispoke' thing seems to be the hip thing to
ride around w/ (although only on the front) on a fixed gear. you could
make a killing on craigslist.

Yeah Bob,
If you sell the HED and buy a new white or pink
Deep-V wheel, you'll still be almost as hip, and
clear enough $ to pay for almost a full term of
Chung's statistics class.

I don't get it (it meaning the hipsters riding
trackie-but-not-really stuff, not meaning Chung's
class, that is). But then, I never did learn to
trackstand right, and am a hopeless dork since
my fixed gear has clipless pedals (and brakes).

Ben
Old June 17th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

" wrote in message

I don't get it (it meaning the hipsters riding
trackie-but-not-really stuff, not meaning Chung's
class, that is). But then, I never did learn to
trackstand right, and am a hopeless dork since
my fixed gear has clipless pedals (and brakes).

It was my understanding that you can't track stand on tracks anymore. That
you're required to always keep moving at least a little.

Old June 17th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Feeley[_2_]

Default False alarm

On 6/16/09 1:16 PM, in article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
"Robert Chung" wrote

Prop 13.

It's always interesting to see what sort of creature dislikes Prop
13. Gee, somehow it is always someone that isn't effected by it or
someone who would profit without it.

Mike:

You know you want to.

I don't have to. I've trained others to do it for me now! :-)

On the other hand, Prop 13 really isn't an off-topic discussion as far
as roads and such are concerned. Prop 13 has made it very difficult to
fund measures that would actually decrease costs to joe public in this
case.

And you could argue, I think, that Prop 13 plays some part in the current
budget crisis, and the pending shutdown of California state parks, and the
cancellation of the Mt. Tam Hill Climb.

Jim "has lived through the negative effects of Prop 13" Feeley
PS- I don't check messages sent directly to this email address. Too much
spam. But I'm not hard to find on the internet...
--
Jim Feeley
POV Media

Old June 17th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Bob Schwartz writes:
[...]

A lot of the fixed gear hipsters out here are using wheels built with odd coloured
Velocity rims and are lacing groups of some kind of card into the spokes at the
cross. They're also using stubby flat bars.

My trackstanding is sucking lately. And my bike has Speedplay pedals and a front
brake but it also has a steel Cinelli track bar and stem set.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 17th 09, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
hizark21 wrote:
One of the big problems
is that there is so many pot holes especially in San Diego. When I
first started racing there was very few pot holes and you knew where
the pot holes were. These days if you take you eyes off the road for a
minute you will inevitably hit a pot hole.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/affect.html

--
Michael Press
Old June 17th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
hizark21 wrote:

On Jun 16, 2:18*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in

What are some other good choices that people like?

I've been using mostly Mavic stuff. I use Kyseriums but after the foot in
the spokes crash from a year and a half ago I've been moving as I could
into
the Mavic Heliums and Cosmos which are more "normal" wheels. I haven't had
any trouble at all with the Mavic wheels which is why it worries me that
they're playing with that R-SYS which can put them out of business.

I doubt it, if the R-SYS issue is resolved properly they can move on.
Mavic has a very good reputation. The Kyseriums are a good wheel, but
I dislike the fact that the wheels have to be shipped back to Mavic
for re-lacing. I can see where a dealer has to be trained however.

The Arse-SYS (h/t Bob S) won't be resolved properly unless you count "withdrawn
from the market" as a proper resolution. The sooner, the better. And Mavic sells rims
and spokes for Ksyriums. I rebuilt one that cracked at the threaded spoke hole.

Old June 17th 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Paul B. Anders" wrote:

When I look at wheels, there are a number of factors I consider.
Weight, aerodynamics, cost, strength (resistance to sharp impacts,
resistance to catastrophic failure, etc.), durability/reliability
(resistance to the elements, resistance to cyclic loads), and
serviceability (ease and cost of maintenance).

For me, the R-sys series of wheels don't compare well with other
wheels when I look at all of these factors. While being lightweight,
they aren't lighter than other comparably priced wheels (or
considerably cheaper ones, for that matter). The fat carbon spokes
have poor aerodynamics. They're relatively expensive. While according
Mavic's data, they have a high degree of lateral stiffness, they seem
to fail catastrophically when overstressed, and in some cases
overstressing seems to occur within normal riding limits. Their
technology is very new (Tracomp), so there is limited data on
durability/reliability. Like many high end wheels (e.g. Topolino),
serviceability is poor, repairs must be performed at the manufacturer
or their representative, at unknown costs.

There are a lot of alternative choices out there. I'm currently riding
on a set of Easton EA90 SLX's (I don't race any more so I can ride
nice wheels all the time), they were cheap, decently aero, light,
stiff enough for me, and have more traditional strength and durability
behaviors.

What are some other good choices that people like?

A friend loaned me a set of Reynolds DV46s a while ago that I liked. I rode them
for a couple of weeks. They are pretty aero and had really nice road feel (as in:
they weren't so stiff that the ride was bad). The weight is good - they feel light
when being ridden. I had expectations of them being bad in rough turns but they were
surprisingly better than even regular wheels with Open Pro rims. When I was leaned
over in a rough turn, the roughness seemed nicely damped. The one thing I didn't like
was the braking. I used the pads that Reynolds had recommended but they were awful. I
figured out that the pads were getting so hot as soon as I applied the brakes they
were melting. I know some people who are using the Swiss Stop pads on these rims and
they work much better. I don't like the price on these wheels: they are pretty
expensive, though hardly the worst. I suppose if I wasn't trying to corner the market
in cyclocross tires I could save up for a set (heh).