It *could* have been the story of the race

Old May 26th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default It *could* have been the story of the race

When Lance bridged up to the group of leaders on the final climb, he
appeared to be completely within himself, on the TV coverage almost
casually cruising up to say "Hi guys, how are things going at the pointy
end of the race?" He was in a position to cover any moves on Popo, and
we were in a position to see if there was anything left in those old
legs on what appears to have been the toughest stage of the race so far.

And then he's called back to help Levi. It's not clear that he knew
entirely what was going on; it's possible that he was having too much
fun seeing what he could do and wasn't paying attention. The way he
soft-pedals just after catching and looks back was almost a Jens Voight
sort of thing.

We'll never know what might have happened. And Levi's not so far back
that a podium finish is out of the question, so it's not likely we'll
see Lance set free to have fun on Tuesday's big stage either.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 26th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 25, 10:44*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
[...]

I think he is physically preparing, while mentally resting, for bigger
things, afterall, he is riding into form.
Old May 26th 09, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I agree it was pathetic. That was my exact impression as
well. When he pulled up to them he appeared to be toodling along and
having fun doing it. I was waiting for some double takes, but I
didn't see any. I think LANCE's moment of doubt has passed.

I kind of wish that Levi had lost more time so LANCE would have some
more freedom to test his fitness and mess with some people's minds
before the Tour. Oh wait, you're the guy that's going to go watch the
Tour. You suck!

Old May 26th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On May 25, 8:44*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

We'll never know what might have happened. And Levi's not so far back
that a podium finish is out of the question, so it's not likely we'll
see Lance set free to have fun on Tuesday's big stage either.

I predict that no known rider will win a Giro stage on Tuesday and,
likewise, there will be no changes in the GC.
DR
Old May 26th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote:

We'll never know what might have happened. And Levi's not so far back
that a podium finish is out of the question, so it's not likely we'll
see Lance set free to have fun on Tuesday's big stage either.

I predict that no known rider will win a Giro stage on Tuesday and,

Yes, that would be correct. I meant Wednesday's stage. Tomorrow is, of
course, a rest day. Having a day off today mixed me up.

likewise, there will be no changes in the GC.
DR

That might not be true. Consider the vampires.

Old May 26th 09, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

On Mon, 25 May 2009 19:44:45 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

When Lance bridged up to the group of leaders on the final climb, he
appeared to be completely within himself, on the TV coverage almost
casually cruising up to say "Hi guys, how are things going at the pointy
end of the race?" He was in a position to cover any moves on Popo, and
we were in a position to see if there was anything left in those old
legs on what appears to have been the toughest stage of the race so far.

And then he's called back to help Levi.

You're kidding right, or you didn't see the stage ? He just blew up
when Basso attacked again. He selfishly dropped Levi AND brought back
Sastre and then couldn''t keep up so figured he might as well do the
right thing and help his leader.

This is NOT the Armstrong who bridged the gap in a breeze on that
terrible stage in the Pyrenees in 2005 when Basso and Ullrich had
gone clear for a few seconds;
Old May 26th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

wrote:
[...]

Right, he lost almost 3 minutes prior to a rest day while Sastre,
Basso and even PelliZotti continued to be strong. I think Menchov has
this one, DiLua second, Basso or Sastre for the third step. Levi will
continue to fade. A teeny TT in Rome isn't going to change that. He's
not going to gain a minute on Sastre, nor even seconds on Basso.
Old May 26th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

[...]

not going to gain a minute on Sastre, nor even seconds on Basso.- Ocultar texto de la cita -

- Mostrar texto de la cita -

Agreed, Lance definitely looked good bridging up to the top cats, but
couldn´t handle the attacks. He´s slowly but surely coming into form.
On the other hand Levi doesn´t appear close to DiLuca, Basso or
Sastre in form. They are surging while he seems to be fading. I
thought he was waiting, biding his time, but after yesterday I suspect
he´s peaked and will fade into a support role the rest of the season.
Still in cycling things and form can change over night. I´m looking
forward to the rest of this Giro.
Old May 26th 09, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Keith

wrote:

When Lance bridged up to the group of leaders on the final climb, he
appeared to be completely within himself, on the TV coverage almost
casually cruising up to say "Hi guys, how are things going at the pointy
end of the race?" He was in a position to cover any moves on Popo, and
we were in a position to see if there was anything left in those old
legs on what appears to have been the toughest stage of the race so far.

And then he's called back to help Levi.

You're kidding right, or you didn't see the stage ? He just blew up
when Basso attacked again. He selfishly dropped Levi AND brought back
Sastre and then couldn''t keep up so figured he might as well do the
right thing and help his leader.

This is NOT the Armstrong who bridged the gap in a breeze on that
terrible stage in the Pyrenees in 2005 when Basso and Ullrich had
gone clear for a few seconds;

Or Riis in 1996 on the way up to Hautacam...oops do I see a pattern
here...