Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

Old December 22nd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Why we should bike w/o a helmet--from the TED conference

http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen
Old December 22nd 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 12/22/2010 1:54 PM, landotter wrote:
http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen

Look at the comments at the bottom. First one is from Fred.
Old December 22nd 10, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/22/2010 1:54 PM, landotter wrote:
http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen

Look at the comments at the bottom. First one is from Fred.

Was that _The_ Fred? The guy with a yellow windbreaker, Bell
Biker helmet and a flippy flag?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 22nd 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 12/22/2010 2:11 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/22/2010 1:54 PM, landotter wrote:
http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen

Look at the comments at the bottom. First one is from Fred.

Was that _The_ Fred? The guy with a yellow windbreaker, Bell Biker
helmet and a flippy flag?

Thought that it was probably this Fred:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/safetys...nkNFred010.htm

Old December 22nd 10, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 22, 1:11*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/22/2010 1:54 PM, landotter wrote:
http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen

Look at the comments at the bottom. *First one is from Fred.

Was that _The_ Fred? The guy with a yellow windbreaker, Bell
Biker helmet and a flippy flag?

+black socks and Tevas.

;-)
Old December 22nd 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 22, 11:11*am, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/22/2010 1:54 PM, landotter wrote:
http://video.tedxcopenhagen.dk/video...ville-andersen

Look at the comments at the bottom. *First one is from Fred.

Was that _The_ Fred? The guy with a yellow windbreaker, Bell
Biker helmet and a flippy flag?

Yes it was, and he's the future of American bicycle commuting
according to infrastructure planners.

This presentation is slick, but it is wrong in so many ways --
particularly when applied to American cities (paraphrasing):
"returning to the way things used to be . . . going back to
bicycles." Dude, California was built around the car. Sure, we rode
bikes as kids, but any adult who commuted by bike was considered some
Bohemian freak. Bicycle commuting was never big on the West Coast --
and in fact, it is bigger now than when I was a kid. His vaccine
analogy also is wrong -- FDA needs two confirming studies, which there
are for helmets. A "fourteen percent greater chance" of getting in to
an accident while wearing a helmet (?). What, did they run the same
riders with and without helmets? He mistates helmet testing protocol,
at least in America. I have no interest in MHLs, but this sort of
laugh-a-minute banter is useless. It's like talk radio.-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 22nd 10, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:11 am, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
[...]

Right. Except Dr Laura "grow up already!" Schelsinger, who
often advises, "ride your bicycle" as a counter to malaise.

Old December 22nd 10, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 12/22/2010 3:37 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:11 am, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
[...]

Maybe that's why the malaise is setting in with all of the frigging snow
here...
Old December 22nd 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:11 am, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
[...]

I'm with you there, brother. I dumped my bike at dawn today
on ice unseen beneath the snow. Hey if winter riding was
easy, everybody would do it!

Old December 22nd 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 22, 11:11 am, AMuzi wrote:
Duane Hébert wrote:
[...]

Yeah. Up side is that the skis are getting sharpened, even as we speak.
Missing the bike though.