Can't figure out where spring goes in brake mechanism

Old October 20th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Can't figure out where spring goes in brake mechanism

I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-devotional
http://www.happynews.com/
Old October 20th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:
I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * *Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de...happynews.com/

Link to my hand drawn picture of the brake mechanism.

I don't know where the spring goes.

I think that one of the 2 bolts go through it.

Thanks,
Andy

http://yfrog.com/1ftrek20j
Old October 21st 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:
I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * *Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de...happynews.com/

The pic of my drawing of the brake mechanism is here.

Andy

http://yfrog.com/1ftrek20j
Old October 21st 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:
I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * *Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de...happynews.com/

The pic of my drawing of the brake is here.

Thanks.

http://yfrog.com/1ftrek20j
Old October 21st 10, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
OldRoads OldRoads is offline
Banned

On Oct 20, 7:01*pm, Andy wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:

I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * *Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de...happynews.com/

The pic of my drawing of the brake is here.

Thanks.

http://yfrog.com/1ftrek20j- Hide quoted text -

If that spring is in the brake lever, you might not even need it.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

Old October 21st 10, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 21, 6:12*am, OldRoads wrote:
On Oct 20, 7:01*pm, Andy wrote:

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:

I decided to change out the brake on my grandson's Trek 20 Bike.

I thought it would be similar to other bikes I have worked on.
I need to find out where the spring goes that popped out.

I couldn't find an online or downloadable manual.

I remember seeing a post on usenet that had a link to a picture that
you could temporarily store.
I could then scan a drawing of the brake handle.

Does anyone know how I can accomplish it?

Have a great day,
* * * * * * * * *Andy

http://intouch.org/magazine/daily-de...happynews.com/

The pic of my drawing of the brake is here.

Thanks.

http://yfrog.com/1ftrek20j-Hide quoted text -

If that spring is in the brake lever, you might not even need it.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycleshttp://OldRoads.com

Thanks a lot Vin.

You were right, it didn't need the spring.

Andy
Old October 21st 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Oct 20, 7:01*pm, Andy wrote:

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

While the drawing is a bit hard to follow, the illustration of the
spring is clear enough to show that it is intended to go on the bolt
that serves as a pivot for the lever. The spring provides some force
to bias the lever to its "un-sqeezed position." Without the spring,
that is accomplished entirely by the tension on the cable supplied by
the spring on the brake itself.

DR
Old October 24th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Oct 20, 7:01*pm, Andy wrote:

On Oct 20, 12:37*pm, Andy wrote:

[...]

I found the spring tension on the brake itself is adjustable.

Getting the pads to be even distance from the aluminum rim took me an
hour to figure out. :-)

Andy
Old October 24th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

adjusted pads to an even distance ?
Old October 24th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

need spring-energy-storage mechanism [email protected] Techniques 91 June 11th 07 06:58 PM
Chorus Brake Spring? andy Techniques 2 October 30th 06 02:42 PM
broken spring on Record brake caliper Alan Gabrielli Techniques 4 June 25th 06 09:24 PM
1987 Shimano U-Brake how to load spring? Steve General 1 March 14th 06 08:16 PM
Removing rear brake mechanism on a Brompton Chris Slade UK 0 September 4th 05 06:22 PM