Typical Mountain Biker Causes Serious Equestrian Accident

Old January 9th 12, 08:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Typical Mountain Biker Causes Serious Equestrian Accident

This is a perfect example of why bikes don't belong on trails! The
"thrills" that mountain bikers seek are harmful to everyone else.

Mike

August 15, 2011 Posted by TANDERSON in LIFESTYLE, LOCAL, OUTDOORS,
REGIONAL, SPORTS
Call for safety from the Big Sky Mountain Bike
Alliance
On Sunday morning, July 17, Canyon Adventures led four customers on a
guided horse
ride. Near the Beaver Creek crossing, the rear horse was spooked by an
approaching
mountain biker, which caused a chain reaction, scattering the other
frightened horses.
The biker claimed to have rung his bike bell to alert the horses of
his presence, but it
went unheard. Two riders were thrown from their saddles and one horse
impaled itself
on a metal fence post. When stopped, the biker was described as being
indignant for
the horses .not being in control.. The biker fled unidentified.
Unfortunately, one
customer cracked his rib and the injured horse will be out of
commission for the rest of
the summer.
To those at Canyon Adventures, the Big Sky Mountain Bike Alliance
wants to express
our deepest regrets. We discourage this type of behavior and expect
all of our members
to practice trail-user friendliness. It disappoints us that a fellow
two-wheeler would
endanger your guests, your horses, and the integrity of your business.
At the least, we
ask this unknown biker to apologize.
We request that all mountain bikers when approaching horses slow down,
get off bikes,
and notify the nearest equestrian as soon as possible. Horses don.t
like surprises, so
please approach them with soft, yet audible voices. Guides at Canyon
Adventures said
they will be happy to let you pass as soon as possible. Their
suggested guidelines for
biker/equestrian interaction are on our website bigskytrails.org.
The more cooperation among all trail users, the more likelihood
mountain bikes will be
permitted on trails. The U.S. Forest Service has already forbidden
mountain bikes from
certain trails in our area. More are at risk of being lost,
particularly if we don.t achieve
harmony among user groups.
For more information on the mission of the BSMBA, please visit
bigskytrails.org.
Please note that the site is still under construction.
Ride on,
Old January 9th 12, 10:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McGoogle

On Jan 9, 2:26*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

Horses don't like surprises? That's because they are stupid animals
and do not belong on trails. Most people who ride them are just as
dumb.
Old January 10th 12, 04:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jan 9, 1:14*pm, Len McGoogle wrote:
[...]

dumb.- Hide quoted text -

It doesnt take a horse to be surprized by a mountain biker. Everyone
else is, too, including mountain bikers themselves. Surprize is
actually the most intelligent response to a person crazy enough to
ride a bike where bikes don't belong. The proof is the huge number of
serious accidents mountain bikers have: http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb_dangerous.htm.