this guy really should have had a helmet on

Old August 23rd 10, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default this guy really should have had a helmet on

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...ter.6488528.jp

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

Old August 23rd 10, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...ter.6488528.jp

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

Its OK, you motorists get the opportunity to do that too.
http://www.lythamstannesexpress.co.u...ror.6476404.jp

But since the Portsmouth cyclists "hit a concrete fence post at high
speed" it was almost certainly way beyond the design limits for a helmet
anyway.

Seems like both are blamed on the weather.

Tony
Old August 23rd 10, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 23, 4:53*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...-life-after.64...

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

There was a case in a professional cycle race where a competitor
skidded off his bike and went head first into a concrete post. He was
wearing a helmet, and much to everybodys' surprise, got up, remounted
his bike and continued in the race. I believe that this was one of the
reasons why helmets became mandatory for UCI cycle races, along with
the deaths through head injuries of a couple of riders who were not
wearing cycle helmets.

I am sure that this incident was mentioned in Wikipedia once upon a
time, but the BHRF and the CTC seem to have taken over this site and
filled it with anti-helmet propaganda!

Derek C
Old August 23rd 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Derek C wrote:

There was a case in a professional cycle race where a competitor
skidded off his bike and went head first into a concrete post. He was
wearing a helmet, and much to everybodys' surprise, got up, remounted
his bike and continued in the race. I believe that this was one of the
reasons why helmets became mandatory for UCI cycle races, along with
the deaths through head injuries of a couple of riders who were not
wearing cycle helmets.

Are you sure you are not mixing up the crashes of Kivilev who died on
the 2003 Paris-Nice race which led to the UCI introducing a mandatory
helmet rule (which the riders protested strongly against) with the crash
of Casartelli 8 years earlier in the 1995 Tour de France in which he hit
a concrete post head first having come off descending at speed? In
Casartelli's case the senior medic on the Tour said a helmet would have
made no difference as it wouldn't have covered the area of impact.

I am sure that this incident was mentioned in Wikipedia once upon a
time, but the BHRF and the CTC seem to have taken over this site and
filled it with anti-helmet propaganda!

Or you are just getting paranoid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uring_a_ra ce

Tony
Old August 23rd 10, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:37:46 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...ter.6488528.jp

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

But since the Portsmouth cyclists "hit a concrete fence post at high
speed" it was almost certainly way beyond the design limits for a helmet
anyway.

Tony

The 24 year-old man from Southsea was riding his racing bicycle down
London Road, Cosham, coming from Portsdown Hill, when he skidded on
the wet road and came off. He flew head first into the fence post on
the corner of Chalkridge Road. He was not wearing a cycling helmet and
suffered massive head injuries.

Oh dear - looks like he could not stop - I thought that bikes were
quite stable in the wet - and that cyclists could stop quite readily.

Do helmets suddenly stop working above a certain speed and then give
no benefit whatsoever?

Old August 23rd 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

Tony Raven wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...ter.6488528.jp

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

Its OK, you motorists get the opportunity to do that too.
http://www.lythamstannesexpress.co.u...ror.6476404.jp

But since the Portsmouth cyclists "hit a concrete fence post at high
speed" it was almost certainly way beyond the design limits for a helmet
anyway.

Seems like both are blamed on the weather.

Tony

I am a little reluctant to point this out since it will probably become
a stick with which JMS and the like will attempt to beat cyclists in
general, but....
That bike certainly has no rear brake. It may have a front brake. There
was a short period when I rode fixed and I know how good it feels, but I
regret that it has now become so fashionable and that brakes are
considered by some to be uncool.
Having said that, I hope that the cyclist recovers fully, because
although I think that while riding with no rear brake is foolish most of
us will have done worse. There but for the grace of something.

--
Roger Thorpe

Standing on a golf course, dressed in PVC.....
Old August 23rd 10, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:41:03 -0700 (PDT), Derek C
wrote:

On Aug 23, 4:53*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...-life-after.64...

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

There was a case in a professional cycle race where a competitor
skidded off his bike and went head first into a concrete post. He was
wearing a helmet, and much to everybodys' surprise, got up, remounted
his bike and continued in the race. I believe that this was one of the
reasons why helmets became mandatory for UCI cycle races, along with
the deaths through head injuries of a couple of riders who were not
wearing cycle helmets.

I am sure that this incident was mentioned in Wikipedia once upon a
time, but the BHRF and the CTC seem to have taken over this site and
filled it with anti-helmet propaganda!

Nope. Helmets became mandatory in UCI races after the death of
Kivilev, which was used as a lever by people who had been agitating
(largely at the urging of sponsors) for compulsion for a decade.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed
Old August 23rd 10, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:16:11 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Derek C wrote:

[...]

Hmmm. Bob Davies said he thought the fatality rate had gone up since
they started wearing lids, looks like he's right.

Guy
Old August 24th 10, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 23 Aug, 16:53, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...-life-after.64...

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

New anti-cyclist thread duly noted but I will exercise patience before
I start sending my anti-motorist threads again, bearing in mind that
they are not OT because lawbreaking and unsafe motorists pose a
serious danger to cyclists.

Doug.
Old August 24th 10, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 24, 6:50*am, Doug wrote:
On 23 Aug, 16:53, "Mrcheerful" wrote:http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...-life-after.64...

yet another dangerous cyclist crashes and costs the tax payer a fortune

New anti-cyclist thread duly noted but I will exercise patience before
I start sending my anti-motorist threads again, bearing in mind that
they are not OT because lawbreaking and unsafe motorists pose a
serious danger to cyclists.

Doug.

Above out of control cyclist could potentially have hit and killed or
seriously injured a pedestrian!