How to adjust disc brakes

Old August 19th 03, 03:26 PM

Default How to adjust disc brakes

Is there a howto on adjusting disc brakes, didn't find any? Or any
technical articles on disc brakes on bikes?

Picture of mine (Bitex):
http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/Kuv...liper-top2.JPG

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old August 19th 03, 06:20 PM
Huw Pritchard

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:26:50 +0000, risto.varank did issue forth:

Is there a howto on adjusting disc brakes, didn't find any? Or any
technical articles on disc brakes on bikes?

It's really quite difficult to give generic instructions for disc brakes,
and I've never heard of the company you mentioned.

From what I can make out, you're using cable actuated discs, right? Most
of the adjustment it's possible to make on a cable actuated disc can be
made from the lever, just using the barrel adjuster in the same way as you
would with any other brake.

If the disc is dragging on the caliper, or if you feel that the gaps
between the pads and disc aren't even, you can adjust this using washers
on the mounting bolts, although looking at the photo, this doesn't look
too bad in your case.

Huw Pritchard
Old August 21st 03, 03:16 PM

Huw Pritchard wrote:
: From what I can make out, you're using cable actuated discs, right? Most
: of the adjustment it's possible to make on a cable actuated disc can be
: made from the lever, just using the barrel adjuster in the same way as you
: would with any other brake.

Yup they are fully mechanical. Hm, disc brakes differ from
standard V-brakes in the sense that only one pad is really moving.

: If the disc is dragging on the caliper, or if you feel that the gaps
: between the pads and disc aren't even, you can adjust this using washers
: on the mounting bolts, although looking at the photo, this doesn't look
: too bad in your case.

Well it's not my trike in the picture, though the brake system is
the same :-) One of my brakes seems to be dragging, despite
numerous adjustments. I have four screws to twiddle with (wouldn't
like to touch mounting bolts - can be a bit confusing...

Old August 27th 03, 09:07 PM

Another question: do you need to lube the brakes when cleaning the
bike?

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Disc Brakes - Thermal Expansion Drag Vincent J. Souki Mountain Biking 2 May 12th 04 03:35 PM
Adjusting XT disc brakes? Moi Off Road 0 January 21st 04 07:56 AM
Mechanical disc brakes and hub Piotrek S. Mountain Biking 17 September 22nd 03 11:23 AM
which disc brakes to buy Ermo Mountain Biking 6 September 3rd 03 10:46 PM