Research Opportunity for Cyclists

Old April 30th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kristen

Default Research Opportunity for Cyclists

Recreational Cyclists:

You are invited to participate in an online survey study investigating
cyclists’ perceptions about sun exposure risks and the actions
cyclists take to protect themselves from the sun while riding
outdoors. The study is being conducted by Dr. C. Raymond Knee, Kristen
N. Petty, M.A., and Dr. Aaron K. Joseph. This is a preliminary study
that may lead to a series of more advanced studies once results are
observed and reported.

In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years of age. You
must also be actively involved in recreational cycling/biking.

The one-time anonymous survey is expected to take 10-15 minutes to
complete. Please click on or copy/paste the link below to proceed to
the informed consent page and begin the study:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...3rp41Vag_3d_3d

Upon completion of the survey, you may choose to have your name
entered in a drawing for one of several $100 gift cards to Performance
Bike.

Please direct any questions or comments to Kristen Petty at
.

We appreciate your assistance on this research project!

Dr. C. Raymond Knee and Kristen N. Petty
Department of Psychology
University of Houston
126 Heyne
Houston, TX 77204-5022
http://www.psychology.uh.edu/Special...andMotivation/

Dr. Aaron K. Joseph
University of Texas-Medical School
Baylor College of Medicine
Old May 4th 09, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Kristen writes:
Recreational Cyclists:

You are invited to participate in an online survey study investigating
cyclists=92 perceptions about sun exposure risks and the actions
cyclists take to protect themselves from the sun while riding
outdoors. The study is being conducted by Dr. C. Raymond Knee, Kristen
N. Petty, M.A., and Dr. Aaron K. Joseph. This is a preliminary study
that may lead to a series of more advanced studies once results are
observed and reported.

In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years of age. You
must also be actively involved in recreational cycling/biking.

I smell a rat.

Lots of people endure solar exposure.
Why the specificity toward only cyclists?

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 6th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 3, 10:14*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Kristen writes:

Recreational Cyclists:

You are invited to participate in an online survey study investigating
cyclists=92 perceptions about sun exposure risks and the actions
cyclists take to protect themselves from the sun while riding
outdoors. The study is being conducted by Dr. C. Raymond Knee, Kristen
N. Petty, M.A., and Dr. Aaron K. Joseph. This is a preliminary study
that may lead to a series of more advanced studies once results are
observed and reported.

In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years of age. *You
must also be actively involved in recreational cycling/biking.

I smell a rat.

Lots of people endure solar exposure.
Why the specificity toward only cyclists?

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Well except for Vancouverites, a lot of cyclists are exposed to
sunlight.

As a sport or recreation it is likely to be the one that gives people
their most exposure? How many tennis players are on the court for the
length of time a cyclist is on the cycle doing a century? Football
players wear a lot more clothes.

And perhaps one or more of the investigators are cyclists?

It does not look all that suspicious to me.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old May 6th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

* * * * Kristen writes:

Recreational Cyclists:

You are invited to participate in an online survey study investigating
cyclists=92 perceptions about sun exposure risks and the actions
cyclists take to protect themselves from the sun while riding
outdoors. The study is being conducted by Dr. C. Raymond Knee, Kristen
N. Petty, M.A., and Dr. Aaron K. Joseph. This is a preliminary study
that may lead to a series of more advanced studies once results are
observed and reported.

In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years of age. *You
must also be actively involved in recreational cycling/biking.

I smell a rat.

Lots of people endure solar exposure.
Why the specificity toward only cyclists?

I just tried it. It's a innocuous survey but not very well thought
out. It makes the completely unwarranted assumption that just because
one is a recreational cyclist that is all that one is. I answered the
questions but it was clear that the responses are likely to be
nonsense since about 90% of my cycling is utility cycling. I don't
bother to put on sunscreen for a 10 minute ride to work dressed in
working clothes. I do use sunscreen when I'm doing a 100k ride
especially in the summer. Simlarly there were questions about wearing
tights. Again, if it's cold enough I wear jeans when going to the
store but tights if I'm on a club ride.

Also for a survey in an international forum, the request to state what
'state' (presumably US state) where one lives and temperatures
expressed only in Fahrenheit seems a bit negligent. What the blazes
is 55 F in real terms? Something like 10-12C ?

It looks legit, but hopefully it is a very early first pilot test. It
needs to be reviewed by some expert survey writers and some
experienced cyclists before it will have any validity.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old May 7th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

* * * * Kristen writes:

[...]

Farm labourers, roofers, et al get a heck of a lot more solar
exposure than folks engaged in recreational activities.

If these ~Doctors~ are so concerned about the risks of solar
exposure and awareness of, and practices to mitigate those
risks -- perhaps the focus of their study is misdirected, as
well as too concentrated on a single, select group.

I guess the next thing will be figuring out how to prevent
bowlers from having too many strokes.

I invite rebuttal from the Original Poster.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 7th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 7, 12:30*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

* * * * Kristen writes:

[...]

I'd like to see one too.

However the survey is apparantly looking at social pressure to use/
wear protective sun blocking in recreation. I get the impression,
perhaps unwarranted, that the target audience is youth who are likely
to be very fashion concious in their cycling gear and behaviour.

You'r right that lots of people get more sun but with the possible
exception of competitive sunbathers (See Gerry Trudeau's cartoon) or
surfers it's hard to think of anyone who is likely to get more expose
that relatively serious recreational cyclists and golfers (who have a
totally different type of wardrobe).