What do you do when you find an abandoned stolen bicycle?

Old October 8th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default What do you do when you find an abandoned stolen bicycle?

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 05:29:37 -0700, sms
wrote:

I went by there in the daytime yesterday and the bike was still there so
I notified a city official who called the company that owned it. They
were very grateful to get it back and were sending someone over to pick
it up. I am waiting for a thank-you call from Tim Cook and my free
iPhone 6s Plus.

Oh, an Apple bike. Like this?
http://www.wired.com/2011/07/apples-campus-bikes-are-classically-minimal/
or like these?
http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-not-the-first-to-develop-the-ibike-but-does-it-matter/
http://gusnyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iCycle.jpg
The first is not worth tearing apart for the parts. The others have
no parts.

If all you want from Apples is a lousy smartphone, I suggest you aim a
bit higher. Here's a starter shopping list:
http://www.businessinsider.com/most-expensive-apple-setup-2013-12
or maybe ask if he has some old boards laying around the office:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/23/apple_computer_sold_auction/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 8th 15, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

I went by there in the daytime yesterday and the bike was still there so
I notified a city official who called the company that owned it. They
were very grateful to get it back and were sending someone over to pick
it up. I am waiting for a thank-you call from Tim Cook and my free
iPhone 6s Plus.

Oh, an Apple bike. Like this?
http://www.wired.com/2011/07/apples-campus-bikes-are-classically-minimal/

It was a Public Bikes Mixte, the custom Apple one. There is no
identification on these bicycles other than a little sticker on the seat
tube that has an identifying number. They should put an "if found call
xxx-yyy-zzzz sticker on them. They are left unlocked in publicly
accessible areas of their campus.

I did not want to be greedy regarding Apple's reward. A Macbook Pro is
fine, as long as they install Windows on it.

Old October 8th 15, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxrh1CrMmTY
Old October 8th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

A. down is off ducks not elephants
Old October 9th 15, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

On 2015-10-07, sms wrote:
What do you do when you find an abandoned stolen bicycle?

Last night, very late, I found a very nice stolen, abandoned bicycle
laying on the sidewalk near a public building. I picked it up and parked
it in a nearby bicycle rack. Even though I knew who owned it, and I
tried to find the phone number of the owner online, I couldn't. I told a
passing sheriff's deputy, who was totally uninterested, so I just went home.

Not sure what I should have done. I didn't want to take it home because
then I might be accused of stealing it. For all I know it's still parked
there. The owner is extremely wealthy and almost certainly was unaware
that the bicycle was even missing since they have so many bicycles, all
the same model.

If it is an individual's bike, someone with whom you were acquainted,
then you take it home.

If it's a random's bike, you judge based on the situation.

snip rants

I went by there in the daytime yesterday and the bike was still there so
I notified a city official who called the company that owned it. They
were very grateful to get it back and were sending someone over to pick
it up. I am waiting for a thank-you call from Tim Cook and my free
iPhone 6s Plus.

How about a free Mac IIcx instead?

Old October 9th 15, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 1:58:03 AM UTC+1, Ralph Barone wrote:

How about a free Mac IIcx instead?

The Iicx, even when totally trashed, after you stripped out the broken Apple parts, offered a very useful clip-open case. Mine's afterlife took in service as an amplifier prototyping chassis. (1) The CX series was replaced in my studio by an 840AV, today considered terminally slow, but back then the latest thing; we made a whole lotta rich MTV vids on them. Rather trendy we were, back then.

Andre Jute

(1) And the Apple 13" RGB screen that went with it was in service as a superior colour temperature reference for another ten years at least, at which point we moved and in a general clearance it was sold on to a dealer together with some other Apple gear dating back as much as 20 years. Apple gear earns its cost, again and again. The monstrous six-grand non-Apple screen that replaced the handy little Apple screen as our colour reference lasted less than three years before the phosphor got "tired"...
Old October 14th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 12:59:12 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
What do you do when you find an abandoned stolen bicycle?

Last night, very late, I found a very nice stolen, abandoned bicycle
laying on the sidewalk near a public building. I picked it up and parked
it in a nearby bicycle rack. Even though I knew who owned it, and I
tried to find the phone number of the owner online, I couldn't. I told a
passing sheriff's deputy, who was totally uninterested, so I just went home.

Not sure what I should have done. I didn't want to take it home because
then I might be accused of stealing it. For all I know it's still parked
there. The owner is extremely wealthy and almost certainly was unaware
that the bicycle was even missing since they have so many bicycles, all
the same model.

After you reported it to the police you could have safely taken it home and tried all of the various methods of finding the owner. Clubs and friends of friends and even Craig's List.