All's not fair in love and science

Old May 9th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default All's not fair in love and science

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:32:00 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 8 May 2017 06:35:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I had just finished an interconnect board in the basement telephone
room. These things were pretty large one a large tall business
center. The telephone people did terrible work. Many of them were
beginners without sufficient training.

Befo
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20Before.html
After:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/Phone%20Room%20After.html

Most of the mess was created by multiple Pachell/SBC/AT&T installers
over about a 15 year period. None could be bothered to disconnect and
remove unused connections, document their work, tag the lines, or
sweep the floor. It took me about a week to clean it up. I've done
better cleanups, but the owners didn't give me permission to show off
the work.

Here's my office building phone room after removing about 3 trash
barrels of wires, and two ancient Merlin systems, only to have Comcast
cram in a huge box for nothing more than a single 8 way splitter. I
seem to have misplaced the before picture. The job is half done.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/150%20Felker%20St.html

I recently helped move an office. The phone room was the result of
one former telecom installer making the same mistake a few hundred
times. Apparently, nobody informed him of the benefits of leaving a
service loop at both ends of a cable run. Multiply that by several
hundred cable runs, where everything is point to point. If I moved a
line, I had to add a splice. My guess is that there were about 50
splices hanging from a mix of Type 66 and Type 110 blocks.

The difference in those installations were noticeable to a bum off
of the street but it was important that the trainees learned the
correct way to do it and not for me to make their work look shoddy.

True. It might be obvious to the average bum, but not to someone
allegedly versed in the art of telco installations. I've shown the
above photos to various experienced installers and was occasionally
asked "what's wrong with the before installation". I didn't cry, but
I wanted to.

Incidentally, one of my biggest problems with AT&T is getting the
provisioning, documentation, and installation to agree. Initially,
Comcast was fairly diligent about getting everything to agree, but has
slowly followed the AT&T road to sloppiness.

My friend, Bob Hawkins, owned Hawk Telephone and I worked with him. He was pretty upset when I got a job that paid three times as much but I had a guy sailing with me that was pretty bright and I trained him to do a pretty good job.

Bob would get these jobs in the high-rise office buildings of San Francisco so the interconnect room would have 50 of the interconnects all in boxes and with separate pipes to each floor. They would have the Bell connects to that floor which we were forbidden from using and the other half of the box would be for other users. We could only pull a couple of 50 pair 2 or 3 stories at a time and getting that up to the 20th floor would be a pain in the butt.

I remember that we set everything up with four wires per phone but I don't remember the color code.

Today they apparently are all using wireless and they all break up something awful in an office building. I have to keep asking people to repeat. It doesn't help when all personnel offices are manned by Indians with absolutely atrocious accents.

I just did another try and applied for five different jobs yesterday. I don't expect to hear back from them. Age discrimination is hot and heavy in electronics. And the job advertisements are so general that you couldn't tell what they actually want.
Old May 9th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/8/2017 10:24 PM, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 6:37:52 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/8/2017 9:35 AM,
wrote:

The electronics business has always been cyclic. So between jobs I would take anything that came along from selling motorcycles to helping to ocean race sailboats to getting a job with a friend installing commercial telephone systems in San Francisco high rises.

I had just finished an interconnect board in the basement telephone room. These things were pretty large one a large tall business center. The telephone people did terrible work. Many of them were beginners without sufficient training. So after I finished the panel I was walking out and my toolbelt caught on a loose wire on another interconnect board and pulled a wire loose.

So I was disgusted with that installation and was straightening some of it up so at least it wasn't a hazard when the door opened and a telephone company instructor walked in with a whole group of trainees. As he passed me he sort of sniffed and said to his group, "That's the kind of work these commercial installers do". Then he took them all over to my installation and holding his hand up to it proclaimed, "Now THIS is the sort of work the telephone company does." Holding back a laugh I crept quietly out. I told my partner upstairs and we both had a good laugh.

I'm astounded you didn't say "Excuse me, but you're looking at my
work... " etc. I would have.

Since I was department manager and project leader and the sort, I've always accepted other people's managing techniques as their own. I don't for a second think that guy could have thought for one second that was done by a telephone company employee. All you had to do was look around the rest of the Interconnect room.

It most certainly wasn't for me to cast any shadows on his training seminar.

When he said "That's the kind of work these commercial installers do,"
it seems he was using you, personally, as an example. I think that
deserved a rebuttal.

But it was your choice, and it's now moot.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 9th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I think that you're a bit overly sensitive in your old age Frank. If someone calls you a dumbass to your face you have a right to respond but if they are speaking of contractors in general it hardly deserves a response. Especially when the entire reason he was there was to train other installers. As long as they knew what a proper installation should look like that's all that was needed. Besides my mother worked for the telephone company the entire time after she divorced my drunken abusive father. So I owed the telephone company a wide latitude.