Singapore Bikes

Old July 27th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Singapore Bikes

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 12:44:57 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/27/2017 1:13 PM, sms wrote:

And, as usual, Frank begins with a false premise. Singapore does NOT
have "lots of bicycling," ...

??? What the hell are you yammering about, Stephen? I began with NO
premise at all about Singapore bicycling!

Here's what I posted, which I'm delivering by the ultra-sophisticated
technique of highlighting, copying and pasting:

John - any observations on the dockless bike share system in Singapore?
See this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...e_iOSApp_Other

Stephen's an example of the sort of dolts that can win an election.

He might be remembering wrong.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.e2HS_Qg4I54

They do have bike shows tho:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jace...w=1386&bih=682

Old July 28th 17, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:00:21 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/14/2011 5:28 PM, Tēm ShermĒn °_° wrote:
On 6/14/2011 7:05 PM, john B. wrote:
[...]
The above is the norm during the week but on the weekend the
recreational riders appear, booted and spurred, they are very
noticeable on the more open highways and in certain areas of the
island where there are specified MTB tracks. The idea of "ride
anywhere" mountain bikes is abhorrent to the Singapore government and
there are serious fines imposed for riding in unspecified areas.

Better just a fine than being attacked by a handsaw wielding wacko nut.

Whatever happened to the guy who attacked mountain bikers with a saw?

He was tried twice as the cyclists couldn't get their stories (or
maybe their lies) straight and was (I think) convicted with some very
minor penalty.

He is still posting on the net as I occasionally read a reference to
his posts.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 28th 17, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 10:13:53 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/15/2011 12:33 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:58 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

In other words, Singapore proves that a city can have lots of
bicycling without weird multicolored bike lanes, barrier separated
"bike tracks," special traffic lights, etc.

snip

Well, then there is Holland with separate bicycle facilities. If you
believe that is the proper model, then current efforts in the USA are
woefully inadequate. We should be condemning rights of way to put in
extensive bicycle avenues -- maybe through your living room.

And, as usual, Frank begins with a false premise. Singapore does NOT
have "lots of bicycling," and the level of cycling has declined greatly
in the last three decades. It's no unlike China, where a big decrease in
bicycling was caused by big increases in mass transit infrastructure.

In Singapore you also have the near constant heat and humidity which
discourages bicycling.

Actually Singapore has considerable bicycle activity. There are, for
the size of the island a very large number of bike shops.

For locals the major use is probably riding from their National
Housing flats to the closest bus stop or subway station to take public
transport to work.

Interestingly, the one category where bicycle ridership has increased in
Singapore, is among non-resident foreign workers. It's interesting
because in the Bay Area you see the same thing, but here it's because
public transit is so poor, while in Singapore I suspect it's more the
cost of public transit.

I don't think so. At least I lived or worked in Singapore for more
then 20 years and way back when people used to bicycle to work but
remember, Singapore had the fastest growing economy in the world in
the early days and their public services improved probably faster then
any country in history. The only section of Singapore that you can't
reach easily and quickly is the extreme western quarter where the
factories and heavy industry is and you can get there also except the
busses don't run as frequently.

As for foreign workers the bulk of the foreigners working in Singapore
fall into three groups. Malaysians who live in Malaysia and commute to
work in Singapore - it is said that there are a million workers who
cross the causeway from Malaysia each morning. The Philippine House
Maids who all have hand-phones but are never seen riding a bicycle and
the Bangladesh (largely) construction workers who send their money
home to their wives.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Three UK Young Men Bullying Singapore Senior Citizen in his 70s [email protected] UK 0 October 31st 07 06:09 AM
LBS in Singapore Andrew Priest Australia 2 July 25th 07 12:47 PM
Singapore Theo Bekkers Australia 3 September 30th 05 08:04 AM
RR: Singapore Bike Hash. My experience MikeyOz Australia 6 June 28th 05 11:02 AM
Anybody from Melbourne or Singapore? GizmoDuck Unicycling 7 July 22nd 04 04:34 AM