Say it ain't so Shimano!

Old August 28th 03, 07:35 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Say it ain't so Shimano!

In article ,
says...

adr- All of the MO
parts I have bought come in the fancy boxes, so where are those folks getting
their parts? It is obviously not through OEM channels. BRBR

Ya must see stuff from different MO then. One local to Boulder has lots of
stuff in plastic bags.

I haven't ordered from any CO MO places in quite some time.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\,_
(_)/ (_)

Old August 28th 03, 10:22 PM
Bill Davidson

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Bill- Ok. Shimano wouldn't sell the 10,000 widgets for $8 each if they
weren't
making a profit on it. Why can't they sell it to a distributor for that
price? BRBR

Perhaps the crux, perhaps they aren't getting a profit on that
widget(dumping?), but in the entire scheme of OEM, with all shimano bikes
thru-out the line, they are making some money.

I find it hard to believe that they would be in a "dumping" situation
with OEM's. They sell way too much stuff to OEM's to stay in business
if they were doing that. It's got to be at least half their business;
maybe a lot more. They're making a profit and probably a pretty decent
one at that--even on OEM gear.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old August 28th 03, 10:28 PM
Bill Davidson

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
OEM parts usually come in plastic bags, not fancy boxes. All of the MO
parts I have bought come in the fancy boxes, so where are those folks getting
their parts? It is obviously not through OEM channels.

The only mail-order parts I've ever gotten in a plastic bag were
Performance/Nashbar branded stuff. Shimano stuff always came in
the nice Shimano boxes with instructions and in some cases even
tools (my 7401 pedals came with a special wrench). Either these
weren't OEM parts or the OEM's are getting the retail packaging.

--Bill Davidson

Old August 29th 03, 12:29 AM
AndyMorris

Bill Davidson wrote:
Bikefixr wrote:
The problem arises when the big T bike company orders
10,000 Shimano widgets to get the $8 price, but really only needs
5000 widgets.

Ok. Shimano wouldn't sell the 10,000 widgets for $8 each if they
weren't making a profit on it. Why can't they sell it to a
distributor for that price?

--Bill Davidson

A long time ago a company called Suntour made very good derailiers, the
worked better than Shimano or Campag. They made them in two or three grades
od shinyness and priced them at what they cost to make plus a few bob
profit. The top of the range gear was as shiney as campag, worked better and
cost about a third as much.

*No one bought it*, not people getting replacements, not the buyers for bike
manufacturers, the the tech heads building their own bikes. Who wants and
expensive bike with a $20 rear derailier.

It clobbered the low and mid range as well. Suntour were not a prestige
name, they did not make a $70 deraillier, people would buy a bike with
components from a good name that sold $100 gears.

Bike manufacturers want to be able to offer a bike with a '$1000' group for
$1200, the big sales are to manufacturers. The 'official' prices are just a
marketing trick.

Its a bugger, I want to get a load of stuff for my new (to me) fixie from my
LBS, hes a good guy, he lets me use his workshop, but it will cost me. I
dont mind that if it goes to the LBS, but it won't.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old August 29th 03, 05:31 AM
Derk

Bill Davidson wrote:

The only mail-order parts I've ever gotten in a plastic bag were
Performance/Nashbar branded stuff. Shimano stuff always came in
the nice Shimano boxes with instructions and in some cases even
tools (my 7401 pedals came with a special wrench).

Same here in The Netherlands from a cheap source.

I'll tell you something else: my LBS sells 8 speed cassettes that come out
of a *big* box with a few hundred cassettes, sells it as being 105 quality,
though it's the cheapest cassette (sora?) and charges far more for it then
a MO company that sells me a true 105 cassette in a box with
instructions.....

Greets, Derk

Old August 29th 03, 01:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Bill- I find it hard to believe that they would be in a "dumping" situation
with OEM's. They sell way too much stuff to OEM's to stay in business
if they were doing that. BRBR

From a few product managers that have negotiated with these guys. They talk
about making a bike 'all shimano' at a certain price point, and give a price
that is way below expected, if the bike manufacturer will agree to use DA and
ultegra on other models.

Make that MTB model all shimano, no sram, and the price is 'x'...We will give
you that price on those 15000 units if you also use DA and ultegra on these
models...type of thing.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.