Threadless Steering Tube Extensions?

Old August 26th 03, 07:16 PM
Bruni

Default Threadless Steering Tube Extensions?

It sounds like this a MTB. Is the steerer tube Al or Fe? Is it 1'"or 11/8"?
If it is 1 1/8" steel, the sky's the limit. Your weight and riding style
will determine the limits for Al.
I once sleeved an Al steerer w/cro-mo for a customer with few options.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
(Pete Cresswell) wrote in message
Maybe somebody with an engineering background can shed some light...

Seems to me like I read somewhere that the max height of a spacer stack

was
something like 1.25 or 1.5 inches - anything in excess of that was

challenging
the strength of the steering tube too much.

If that's the case, what's the diff between that and:

1) Really high riser bars - like 3". Isn't the leverage still there down

where
the steering tube goes into the headset?

2) Steering tube extensions that clamp on to the existing protrusion -

same
observation about the leverage still being there.

My agenda is that my riser bars are pretty high, and I've already trimmed

my
steering tube so it's max stack is about 1.25". If I replace those

risers and
want to keep the same bar height, I'll be faced with a choice between

getting
risers that are just as extreme and getting, say, 1" risers and elevating

the
stem attachment point (the stem's height is already max..).

Any thoughts besides getting a custom frame?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Old August 27th 03, 03:05 AM
Benjamin Weiner

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Seems to me like I read somewhere that the max height of a spacer stack was
something like 1.25 or 1.5 inches - anything in excess of that was challenging
the strength of the steering tube too much.

That sounds like either a limit for carbon or aluminum steerers
(possibly less for carbon) or manufacturer's ass-covering.
A steel steer tube is quite strong. It is stronger and stiffer
than other devices used to get several inches of rise, such as
the swanlike 22.2mm diameter aluminum Nitto Technomic stem, or the
aluminum and steel quill riser stems that most early MTBs came with.

I'm pretty sure there are folding bikes out there with very long
steerer extensions. Of course, they aren't intended for big
dirt-jumping, but I think you aren't planning on that.

Old August 28th 03, 12:53 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Is the steerer tube Al or Fe? Is it 1'"or 11/8"?
If it is 1 1/8" steel, the sky's the limit.

1", Al. Marzocci X-Fly 100 fork.....
PeteCresswell

handlebar height n crowley General 35 April 19th 04 07:12 PM
hands and neck bothering me. Geometry? curt General 14 March 8th 04 02:27 AM
Spare Tube Transportation Kerry Nikolaisen General 31 January 10th 04 03:59 PM