Looking for good rain gloves (25 - 40 degrees F)

Old February 16th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute

Default On gloves and round heads (terrible pun!), was Looking forgood rain gloves (25 - 40 degrees F)

On Feb 16, 12:46*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]
Instead in the winter if it is cold I wear thinsulate gloves and a
peaked knitted cap (bought in Milan, apparently very fashionable among
the shop girls and secretaries there) under my helmet. That keeps the
cold out.[...]

I used to live in Milan, and there were no good technical clothing shops
or fashionable women. We did have a honking big auto salvage yard,
however.

Oh, did you mean Milano, Italia, and not Milan, IL?

Milano, Italia, where they could make even Chalo look svelte. My
underhelmet cap is the envy of the local cycling crowd; it has a bill
to shade my eyes against tje low-flying winter sun, and a peripheral
roll low enough to keep my ears warm without interfering with the
helmet. But it didn't come from a technical shop at all, nor was it
intended for cycling wear. It was just a fashion item with a brief
life that I managed to catch, and I bought mine in a cheap department
store pointed out by some girls who wore these caps.

Andre Jute
Street cred

Old February 16th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

On Feb 15, 7:56*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
still just me wrote:
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:12:11 -0800 (PST), "Squat'n Dive"
wrote:

$60 plus sales tax buys you Goretex skiing gloves.
Beats any "winter" bicycling gloves.
Works well below 60F and higher than that if you are off a bicycle.

Who wears gloves over 60f?

Er, people who want to protect their hands from abrasion?

Yes. I don't ever cycle without gloves. One reason is that I am
lightskinned and don't want the malignant melanoma flying around to
settle on the backs of my hands, the other is fear of abrasion.

My bikes are parked in a hallway next to a glove chest. However I have
nothing but contempt for the shortcomings of cycling-specific gloves.
If you want to see why, look at the miniscule sweatpad on most;
clearly fashion-driven rather than intended to be used. A real cyclist
uses a sweatband around his head and wrings it out at appropriate
intervals, I say.

For the spring and the autumn (American Fall, what a silly way to
describe a season to a cyclist!) I use Mikasa workman's gloves.
They're yellow and made tough with glass fibre, and have rubber
grippers on the palm. Expensive at sports stores, cheaper at hardware
stores, cheapest at garden centres. But in heavy rain the Mikasa get
wet through and they're not much chop in really cold weather. In the
high summer I wear lightweight cotton gardening gloves with rubber
pips on the palms to keep the sun off me and give sweaty palms grip on
the controls. The rubber pips are necessary on rotary gear controls
and desirable on brake levers.

I have a lot of experience of Goretex gear for hillwalkers but Goretex
gloves for bikers are a nonstarter, and for regular commuting simply a
stupid suggestion. A piece of Goretex clothing depends for its
waterproofing on the nap of the nylon. The Gore part of it is a
microlayer on the inside which lets perspiration out and partially
stops ingress of water. Goretex thus needs a lot of looking after,
constant washing and drying to keep up the nap, and spraying with
chemical wetproofing. The problem with Goretex gloves is worst of all,
because the necessary taping of the seams, the obvious place for
ingress of water, makes them either awkward or, if skimped for shape,
unsuited for purpose.

Instead in the winter if it is cold I wear thinsulate gloves and a
peaked knitted cap (bought in Milan, apparently very fashionable among
the shop girls and secretaries there) under my helmet. That keeps the
cold out.

If it is also wet, I wear wool-lined leather gloves. If it is really
sleeting and heading for freezing (very rarely below here), I wear
woolen "liners" and old-fashioned leather motorbike gauntlets. Thus
the three purposes of keeping warm, keeping the wind off and keeping
the water out are split between two sets of gloves, wool inside, thick
leather outside. That works.

What would probably work even better for the longrange foul-weather
commuter than heavy leather gauntlets, which might take a long time to
soak through but will take equally long to dry, is woolen gloves with
simple kitchen rubber gloves over them: wind cheating, dry and warm.

Cold weather cycling encompasses a wide range of temperature, I rely on
about 4 pairs of gloves and mitts to see me through conditions ranging
from -25 to 10 degrees (all temps Celsius).

Only one among the selection is designated as cycling specific: a set
of Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws. Alone the claws perform well down to
about -5; from there down to -10 or thereabouts they're worn over a
light pair of gloves.

The Izumis have some nice touches, e.g., a fleece 'snot wipe' running
along their backs, leather palms, but I wouldn't pay the premium
charged above generic lobster claws or mitts to replace them once they
submit to the elements.

For temperatures below -15 I rely on a pair of mitts from Technical
Advantage ( http://www.tadvgear.com/products.html ). My model has been
discontinued from TA's lineup; it ranks somewhere between the Prairie
and the Arctic. Love the mitts, their only drawback: they
significantly impede dexterity. ;-) Not surprising considering the
amount of insulation. But I rank it more of a nuisance than a hazard,
just be more deliberate when shifting (barcons) and braking.

Inexpensive, generic offerings from sporting good/apparel stores round
out the rest of the batch.

Whether keeping hands or the rest of the body warm, I recommend the
same approach. That is, don or shed layers as conditions dictate. This
method even applies to the TA mitts: moisture often saturates their
insides and light fleece or woolen gloves as removable liners allow for
faster drying, insulating against clamminess.
Old February 16th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Default Looking for good rain gloves (25 - 40 degrees F)

"still just me" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:36:38 -0500, Peter Cole
wrote:

Cold wet riding is the hardest thing to dress for, especially if you are
riding at high intensity or are out all day in it. Wet insulation is
much less effective than dry and the stuff that keeps the wet out also
tends to lock the wet (sweat) in.

Not to be redundant... but wool will keep you warm even when wet. I
don't know of any synthetic fiber that matches it in that regard.

Fibre pile and fleece are the stuff caving undersuits are made of - and
they're designed to be got wet. Wool is terrible in that situation - it
doesn't drain. The synthetics do, and are then nice and warm again.

cheers,
clive

Old February 16th 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Jay" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from 25
degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I have ordered these
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/gl...ne-gloves.html .

J.

Old February 16th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:38:54 -0800 (PST), LF wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:36 pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain.

If you can pry yourself away from buying something that says
"bicycling" on the label...

My preference for bike wearing apparel (rain/snow/cold) is no logo at all,
or a logo normally associated with extreme weather, like mountain climbing.
I don't mind the Outdoor Research logo on my stuff. It is like an inside
joke, understated. To most of those strangers admiring my winter attire, the
OR logo means absolutely nothing. Great!

J.

Old February 16th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article
,
LF wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:36 pm, "Jay" wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain.

Jay,
I like these shells, worn over gloves or mittens, from REI
http://www.rei.com/product/739825

Best,
Larry

You don't need rain gloves below 32 F. :P

Locally (Vancouver) after years of struggling, I bought some neoprene
cycling/paddling gloves. That's what MEC calls them, having created them
as paddling gloves, and adding a reflective patch to the wrist when
cyclists kept buying them.

Are they something like Glacier Gloves? I have these on order:

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/gl...ne-gloves.html

I figure, if they are 'great for ice climbing', they should be OK for
Chicago winter bike commuting.

Thanks - J.

Old February 16th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"cmcanulty" wrote in message
I also use neoprene gloves found on a shoulder of road one day. They
are also great for rinsing cycling clothes with ice cold campground
water.

Yeah...what's up with all the articles of clothing one finds on the road?
Are people just getting tired of their left shoe, and throwing it out the
car window?!

J.

Old February 16th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"still just me" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:56:05 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

$60 plus sales tax buys you Goretex skiing gloves.
Beats any "winter" bicycling gloves.
Works well below 60F and higher than that if you are off a bicycle.

Who wears gloves over 60f?

Er, people who want to protect their hands from abrasion?

Gloves are also useful in hot weather, as they provide a much better
grip than sweaty hand on things like twist-shifters and brake levers.

Read the previous post. I'm not objecting to thin biking gloves in
warm weather... I'm questioning why the PP is wearing Goretex gloves
over 60F during non-biking activities.

I agree - I think that reply needed another sentence to clarify the writer's
intent.

J.

Old February 16th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 04:03:35 GMT, still just me
wrote:

Not to be redundant... but wool will keep you warm even when wet. I
don't know of any synthetic fiber that matches it in that regard.

There are plenty of synthetic fibers that do so.

Old February 16th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
. ..
Jay wrote:
I am looking for good gloves for riding in the rain. Temp range is from
25 degrees F to as warm as 40 degrees F.

I am currently using these
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...er_gloves.html , but I must
say they are disappointing. I bought them because I generally like OR
products. But these gloves are not very warm, and they are definitely not
waterproof. And pricey, to boot.

I need XL, black.

Thanks - J.

Good question, one that I haven't been able to successfully solve
completely. I've tried paddling (kayak) gloves (not warm enough), full
neoprene gloves (industrial ice handling) ...

Like these?
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/gl...ne-gloves.html
I have them on order.

Cold wet riding is the hardest thing to dress for,

My least favorite bike weather is warm rain. One can cover up with rain
gear, and stay dry from the rain, but soaked with sweat. Or one can leave
the rain gear at home, and get soaked from the rain. Then when you stop
somewhere, you are likely to get chilled.

Hot humid days are awful for me. I would rather have January than July,
seriously. I know how to dress for January bike rides.

J.

Are the new KH gloves any good? pete66 Unicycling 23 February 27th 08 11:54 PM
Good silnylon rain cape? [email protected] Techniques 15 November 2nd 07 03:02 AM
Good rain cape and hat? [email protected] Techniques 9 June 21st 06 10:20 PM
Good uni gloves JackOlsen Unicycling 9 November 20th 05 10:48 AM
Good gloves? chris General 17 July 4th 05 12:17 AM