Brooks Handlebar Grips - Anyone using them for strictly good weather?

Old February 17th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default Brooks Handlebar Grips - Anyone using them for strictly good weather?

I did not even know Brooks makes grips until Andre suggested them. I like
the tools in this pic:

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brook...ebargrips.html

I am thinking about using them April - October, and then using my current
Ergon GP1 grips for the winter.

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/grip_right.jpg

The Brooks grips should be a good cosmetic match with my Brooks B17 saddle.

I am wondering how well they absorb impact.

Thanks for any info.

Traditionalist J.

Old February 17th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jay wrote:
I did not even know Brooks makes grips until Andre suggested them. I like
the tools in this pic:

http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/brook...ebargrips.html

I am thinking about using them April - October, and then using my current
Ergon GP1 grips for the winter.

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/grip_right.jpg

The Brooks grips should be a good cosmetic match with my Brooks B17 saddle.

I am wondering how well they absorb impact.

Thanks for any info.

Traditionalist J.

Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way
to put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain,
and if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go
ahead, otherwise keep your Ergons.

Lou
Old February 17th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message
.. .

Why do you think these are something special other than a difficult way to
put together a handlebar grip? I think they had some leftover leather
lying around and thought 'hey we can make a handlebar grip out of that,
mayby someone will buy them'. Even between April-October it will rain, and
if they absorb anything it will be water. If you like the looks go ahead,
otherwise keep your Ergons.

Lou

I had heard they are expensive, but I did not know they are $90:

http://www.wallbike.com/components.html

I like Brooks, but I don't know that I like them *that* much. That is 3x the
price of my Ergon grips, and I thought *they* were expensive. But they have
held up in all weather, are comfortable, and IMO quite stylish. And easy to
remove / adjust.

J.

Old February 17th 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Jay wrote:
[...]

There you go. They are overpriced fashion items and I think they are
ugly too. Save your money and buy a couple of pairs of nice (summer) gloves.

Lou

Old February 17th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Jay" wrote in message
. ..

Traditionalist J.

FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.

cheers,
clive

Old February 17th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

"Lou Holtman" wrote

Jay wrote:
I had heard they are expensive, but I did not know they are $90:
http://www.wallbike.com/components.html
I like Brooks, but I don't know that I like them *that* much. That is 3x the
price of my Ergon grips, and I thought *they* were expensive. But they have
held up in all weather, are comfortable, and IMO quite stylish. And easy to
remove / adjust.

But, as Lou Holtman notes, you may help recycle Brooks' scrap for $90!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 17th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:32:05 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Jay" wrote in message

Traditionalist J.

FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.

cheers,
clive

Dear Clive & Jay,

For truly traditional grips, nothing beats the wire-spring handle of
Duryea's 1889 Sylph spring-frame:
http://i28.tinypic.com/huru2p.jpg

"The Sylph's spring handle-grips absorbed vibration while allowing air
to pass through to cool the hands."

--"The Bicycle," Pryor Dodge, p. 106

Larger view of Sylph and grips:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0300...21#reader-link

A few more traditional handlebar grips . . .

Paddle-grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OE5..._pages&cad=0_1

Spade-grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=sI9..._pages&cad=0_1

Golf-club head:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=1KV..._pages&cad=0_1

On-the-tops:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8oh..._pages&cad=0_1

Round or triangular openings:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=aDB..._pages&cad=0_1

Adjustable:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=8oh..._pages&cad=0_1

Aerobars with convenient flag holder:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YwQ..._pages&cad=0_1

Inflatable:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=HNV..._pages&cad=0_1

Brandt's patented squeeze-bulb bell-ringer handlebar grip:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=L9t...pages&cad=0_1\

Coffin--oops, need to narrow the search, but the rope-wound
coffin-handle shows promise for the bicycle industry:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=I0B..._pages&cad=0_1

Spring-wound adjustable-for-tension anti-vibration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=H-x... ages&cad=0_1

More spring-wound:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZ..._pages&cad=0_1

Spring (or anything else) wound anti-vibration:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZ..._pages&cad=0_1

Concealed tire-pump handle:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=H-x...d=0_1#PPA49,M1

Early MTB extensions:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=c1x..._pages&cad=0_1

Somewhat mysterious, but doubtless beneficial:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZ..._pages&cad=0_1

Hand-rest:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OIZ..._pages&cad=0_1

Wouldn't tape be easier?

http://www.google.com/patents?id=OE5..._pages&cad=0_1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 17th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Clive George wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message
. ..

Traditionalist J.

FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.

The "hobbits" use twine and shellac.

Old February 17th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 17, 12:32 pm, "Clive George" wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message

. ..

Traditionalist J.

FWIW the brooks grips aren't traditionalist. Some form of rubber would be.

Well, seeing as wooden grips are a PITA to source these days.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/COMPGRMTN/HT3200

$6, comfy, classic.
Old February 17th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per A Muzi:
But, as Lou Holtman notes, you may help recycle Brooks' scrap for $90!

Now I don't feel so bad about blowing $95 on a drum brake
dynahub.... -)
--
PeteCresswell