expanding gear ratio on 3-speed revisited

Old February 19th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_149_]

Default expanding gear ratio on 3-speed revisited

I'm resurrecting an old project of mine, which requires expanding the
gear ratio of a 3 speed. Thanks to helpful posters I now have an idea on
how to tackle the problem( adding a front tripple, or maybe even a front
quad conversion), which tooth counts to use, and where to get the
chainwheels.

But during my research I've come across two recommendations that I'd
like your comments on:
1) TA says that you should have at least an 8 tooth difference between
chain wheels, why?
Is it to get a good span assuming an ordinary rear cassette,(which
wouldn't apply to me) or has it something to do with gear change
performance?(which is something that I'd like to consider)

2) Somewhere on the site ctc.org.uk there is a recommendation that 15%
or even 25% steps in ratios are fine.
If I can achieve increments of about 7.5%, would that be worthwhile or
overshooting the mark? (I dunno, some people seem to find corncob
cassettes useful...)

Cheers,

dabac

--
dabac

Old February 19th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone writes:

I'm resurrecting an old project of mine, which requires expanding
the gear ratio of a 3 speed. Thanks to helpful posters I now have an
idea on how to tackle the problem (adding a front triple, or maybe
even a front quad conversion), which tooth counts to use, and where
to get the chainwheels.

But during my research I've come across two recommendations that I'd
like your comments on:

1) TA says that you should have at least an 8 tooth difference
between chain wheels, why?

Is it to get a good span assuming an ordinary rear cassette,(which
wouldn't apply to me) or has it something to do with gear change
performance? (which is something that I'd like to consider)

2) Somewhere on the site ctc.org.uk there is a recommendation that
15% or even 25% steps in ratios are fine.

If I can achieve increments of about 7.5%, would that be worthwhile
or overshooting the mark? (I dunno, some people seem to find corncob
cassettes useful...)

Why use a hub gear at all if you are already putting a rear derailleur
on to take up chain length between three or four sprockets in the
front? The internal gear brings no advantages. If you insist on
using the 3-speed hub you are best served by a three or four speed
cluster on the outside of the hub, as was often done forty years ago.

Jobst Brandt
Old February 20th 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_151_]

Tom Sherman Wrote:
Today you can buy the same thing brand new, except with an 8 or 9-speed
cassette attached to the 3-speed hub - see SRAM DualDrive.

But is there anything like that available today that would fit the
sprocket thread of an old S-A hub?

--
dabac

Old February 20th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_152_]

Tom Sherman Wrote:
There was also a Sachs 2x6 version at an earlier time.

I've got one of those in the parts bin. Haven't been able to figure out
how the cassette is attached though...

--
dabac

Old February 20th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

on my folder I just put an extra chainwheel with no front derailluer,
shift by hand or foot

Old February 20th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

dabac wrote:
But is there anything like that available today that would fit the
sprocket thread of an old S-A hub?

any freewheel, just block the body.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 21st 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_155_]

dabac wrote:
But is there anything like that available today that would fit the
sprocket thread of an old S-A hub?

any freewheel, just block the body.

Wow, really? Like a low-end Shimano 7-spd freehub?
I really gotta get my eyesight calibrated in that case, 'cause the
diameter of the hub sure looked way too large for that to me.

--
dabac

Expanding gear ratio on 3-speed hub? dabac[_19_] Techniques 36 August 31st 07 11:28 AM
Gear ratio Brian Drury[_2_] UK 11 July 14th 07 10:42 AM
A good fixed gear ratio? wightstraker General 13 March 10th 07 04:13 PM
I wonder what the gear ratio is on that... General Easterly UK 2 May 10th 06 08:19 PM
Fixie gear ratio poll Michael Press Techniques 27 May 14th 04 12:10 AM