New brake cable covers?

Old February 26th 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default New brake cable covers?

I'm going to swap out handlebars on a roadbike and of course rewrap the
bar tape. As a general practice good idea to change to new brake cable
covers at this time? Brakes are working fine.

thanks to all

Old February 26th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pete Grey

There are lots of different schools of thought here.
On the bikes I put a lot of miles on 3000/year, I usually swap both brake
and derailleur cables yearly. On my touring bike, which generally sees
1500/yr these days, every-other-year seems reasonable to me.
It's cheap insurance is a good way to look at it, paritcularly with the
brake cables. As someone who actually shattered a cantilever brake bolt on a
tandem one time, on a descent, I can tell you that having both brakes at all
times is a good thing;-]

If you don't know how long it's been, I'd swap 'em for sure. Brake
cable/housing sets are really cheap.

-pete

Old February 26th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Feb 26, 1:43*am, RS wrote:
I'm going to swap out handlebars on a roadbike and of course rewrap the
bar tape. *As a general practice good idea to change to new brake cable
covers at this time? *Brakes are working fine.

Is the housing lined? Yes? Then don't bother. If it's not, upgrading
to lined housing will give you smoother feel. Replace the inner cable
if it's more than a couple years old or corroded. Cheap.
Old February 27th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rex Kerr

Pete Grey wrote:
There are lots of different schools of thought here.
On the bikes I put a lot of miles on 3000/year, I usually swap both brake
and derailleur cables yearly. On my touring bike, which generally sees

Swap out at 3000 miles? Why? That seems excessive!! BTW... it's not
necessarily cheap insurance if your bar wrap lasts longer than 3000
miles... one of my bikes has cotton/shellac and it's been on there for a
number of years and another has sewn on elkhide covers, neither of which
I want to replace without a good reason!