Just back from the fireworks in Sydney

Old January 1st 11, 01:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Default Just back from the fireworks in Sydney

Geoff Lock wrote:

With the number of cameras around the place nowadays, it is probably
unlikely that we will have a repeat of the Hilton bombing.

the general lacklustre nature of terrorist activities can be attributed
to one of two points;
1) The IQ of terrorists is extremely low and they have to extensively
trained to carry out simple tasks; or
2) The general inconveniences that have now been imposed on society to
prevent further terrorist activites are what was intended by Osama Bin
Laden in the first place.

Old January 1st 11, 01:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 1/01/2011 6:37 PM, Rob wrote:
On 1/01/2011 5:49 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 1/01/2011 11:39 AM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:18:52 +1100
wrote:

Yeah, cost-wise it's probably a killer but the smelliness factor
probably does not apply if said large bins were used in one-day events.

When you attend big events now you are subjected to a security check.

There was this cute copper chick there last nite and I was hoping she'd
frisk me, but alas, nobody paid me any attention

One copper did ask me where me helmet was as I was "walking" the bike
down the middle of George Street towards the Rocks but his mate told him
she could see my helmet strapped on my backpack so nothing came much of
that.

There was no overt signs of security, unlike the World Cup Soccer finals
at Darling Harbour with the bag checks, etc.

There were, of cos, very subtle chokepoints at various places,
ostensibly, to control "walking traffic" but these were largely low-key
affairs.

In my naiveity, I'd like to think that any ****wit who messes up on a
New Year's Eve party in Sydney doesn't really have an excuse for being a
****wit.

Wonder if big bins are placed at these gates so when you leave would
people use them?

Hm, dunno, logic would suggest so and if, and only if, people were fully
informed of the purpose of the bins and why those bins were there and
the relevance of recycling in respect to resource optimisation within
the social framework of life, the universe and everything, and
notwithstanding ....

But seriously, having big bins scattered throughout the event site (plus
at the gates of cos) and having them emptied regularly etc per Zeebee is
pretty obvious now that it has been pointed out but of cos, nobody
thinks it obvious until it gets pointed out, you see
Old January 1st 11, 02:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

terryc wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
terryc wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

Minor downside to the deposit law is more rubbish, because scavengers
go through rubbish bins and don't put the rubbish back.

IME, the pesioers who do that are very careful about putting the rubbish
back.

Check your keyboard, your "n" seems not to be working.

Why? Seems people managed fine with out it VBCG
In any case, if I remember that bit about misspellings, I only have to
get the beginning and ends of words right for people to understand what
I mean.

It is just that with two missing in the one word I did not think that it
was misspelling,I thought it was an intermittent fault (even though it
came back later in the sentence) otherwise I would have said nothing.
Old January 1st 11, 09:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 23:08:45 +1100
terryc wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

With the number of cameras around the place nowadays, it is probably
unlikely that we will have a repeat of the Hilton bombing.

the general lacklustre nature of terrorist activities can be attributed
to one of two points;
1) The IQ of terrorists is extremely low and they have to extensively
trained to carry out simple tasks; or
2) The general inconveniences that have now been imposed on society to
prevent further terrorist activites are what was intended by Osama Bin
Laden in the first place.

3) there never was much of a threat because there is not enough
incentive for someone bright enough to do it.

There is more and more such incentive as there's more and more idiocy
from The War On Terror as shown by the reported motives of the bods
recently tried in Melbourne, but they appeared to fail as per point 1
above.

To do it well requires good planning and decent weaponry. Experiences
in the UK have shown that bombs are harder than most people think to
make and detonate, and most terrorists are long on indignation and
short on ability.

I suspect it is because most local ones are not bright - ability requires
intelligence. Intelligence means they can see things more clearly
meaning they realise blowing things up in Oz is a mug's game. If you
are going to do it, you do it where it makes more sense.

Zebee
Old January 2nd 11, 03:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

F Murtz wrote:
I thought it was an intermittent fault

Spot on there, but it isn't in the keyboard bt the actuatorsdepressing
the keys {:-).

(even though it came back later in the sentence)

Otherwise it would have been a definite fault.
otherwise I would have said nothing.

Okay. Have a good one, or tweo.
Old January 2nd 11, 03:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

There is more and more such incentive as there's more and more idiocy
from The War On Terror as shown by the reported motives of the bods
recently tried in Melbourne, but they appeared to fail as per point 1
above.

Um, wasn't that the islamic equivalent of a few drunks at the pub saying
someone shoe blow the fsckers up and the secret squirrel plant provided
the arms and explosives to entrap them?

To do it well requires good planning and decent weaponry.

Knowledge and opportunity will suffice. Lets face it, it wasn't exactly
a hard target to drive into.

Experiences in the UK have shown that bombs

Depends on the bomb and again knowledge is the factor e.g. there would
be jst as many idiots in the community that think you can make an LPG
cyclinder explode.

I suspect it is because most local ones are not bright

If they were bright anywhere, then logic dictates they would have more
opportunities in life and not see martydom(sp?) as so appealing

- ability requires intelligence.

Disagree there. Experience or training gives ability. They are no worse
or better than the general public.
Old January 2nd 11, 09:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ross

On Jan 1, 11:39*am, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:18:52 +1100

Only way to stop broken glass is the proven South Oz method: deposits.
You don't see smashed glass on SA roads. *Or roads within a mile or
two of the border. *Go much further and you see plenty.

ACT has a higher glass recyling rate than SA yet doesn't have a
deposit scheme...plenty of glass on the roads though.
Old January 2nd 11, 01:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 2/01/2011 11:57 AM, Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

There was this cute copper chick there last nite and I was hoping
she'd frisk
me, but alas, nobody paid me any attention

You obviously weren't wearing lycra. Or had no bulging bits. ;-)

I do try to hide my bulging bits to prevent others from feeling
depressed about their inadequacies but you are partially right - I
wasn't wearing Lycra

Say, have you got that new bike yet?