Just ordered a hub dynamo online

Old September 17th 13, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Just ordered a hub dynamo online

On 09/16/2013 10:19 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 6:23:17 PM UTC-4, James wrote:

BTW, I installed my headset, knowing the surfaces were already properly
faced. I bought a huge bolt, two washers and a nut to suit. With a
pair of spanners I have a headset bearing press.

Yep, I've done that many times. But being American, I used wrenches instead of spanners. ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Mine was totally morked... don't know how I didn't notice it on a test
ride, but when I blew the bike apart and then put it back together with
all new bearings etc. and went for a ride, I found that when trying to
fine tune the headset adjustment, it went straight from "knocking" to
"binding" and instead of having a sweet spot where it did neither, there
was a small area of adjustment where it would do both, at different
positions of rotation... not something fixable by a DIY without real
bike shop tools. D'oh!

But it rides sweet now...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 17th 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/17/2013 01:07 AM, James wrote:
On 17/09/13 12:19, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 6:23:17 PM UTC-4, James wrote:

BTW, I installed my headset, knowing the surfaces were already properly
faced. I bought a huge bolt, two washers and a nut to suit. With a
pair of spanners I have a headset bearing press.

Yep, I've done that many times. But being American, I used wrenches instead of spanners. ;-)

I keep my wenches out of the workshop area. Too distracting. Oh,
"wrenches", sorry.

So do you speak of open ended wrenches and ring wrenches? We'd say,
"Can you hand me the 14/15 ring spanner, Mate?" This would of course
refer to a ring spanner with a 14mm ring one end and a 15mm ring the
other end.

Separated by a common language... you mean a "14/15 box wrench." I
doubt most American mechanics would even understand, but I've always had
a soft spot for Euro cars so have been reading Euro car mags since I was
a kid.

nate

Old September 17th 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

my god....

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...67.l5f-jsKxWx4

grate xmass gifts
Old September 17th 13, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 17-9-2013 0:43, Peter Howard schreef:
Lou Holtman wrote:
James wrote:
My poor ol' Sanyo Dynapower is getting a bit long in the tooth. The
bearings and bushes are wearing out. It makes a bit more noise than
it used to, despite me lubricating the moving parts. I suspect it's
days are numbered.

So I ordered a PV-8
http://www.sp-dynamo.com/8seriesdynamo%20hub.html from the UK.
Don't expect an Australian supplier to have something like this, or
if it is available locally it's sure to be double the price! 90 GBP,
minus VAT, plus shipping made it 86 GBP = 146 AUD.

It seems to be reasonably light, has sealed bearings, and "class
leading" efficiency and performance. I've also read that the
vibrations are minimal.

So when it arrives I'll order some spokes to build a wheel using one
of my 2 Mavic OpenPro Ceramic rims - the one that's currently laced
to the Mavic hub. The other is laced to a Miche hub, that I
currently use every time I go for a ride. It'll become the daylight
only spare wheel.

The flange looks pretty beefy. I hope it can take a radial spoke
pattern, so I can have a pair of front wheels with radial spokes. I
just like the look, and provided the hub can handle it, see no need
to cross the spokes.

Congratulations, you won't regret it. Dark season is coming here soon
so I put my dynohub wheel in my recently Rohloff hubbed winterevening
bike this weekend and was curious about the weight of that bike now
with all that 'heavy' stuff so I hung in on a scale:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BE...k/IMG_2177.JPG

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VI...k/IMG_2181.JPG

I can live with that.

A very pretty cycle. Is that a Litespeed ti cyclocross frame?

It is a Litespeed Ti custom singlespeed frame. Custom in the sense that
they took a ATB frame welded a different rear end to it en left out all
the unnecessary bosses, cablestops etc. for a SS speed. The result is a
very clean bike:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...eat=directlink

I use it for my winterevening rides. Low maintenance and easy to clean.
Recently I converted it to a Rohllof hub. So I have a lot of gears now
now and still easy to clean and to maintain.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...eat=directlink

And how did
you arrange the chain tensioning? I can only think of an eccentric bottom
bracket or good luck with chainstays just the right length.

Eccentric BB.

I count seven bicycles in the picture including the Litespeed though I might
have got confused trying to count wheels. Are they all yours? If it's not
too much trouble can you tell us something about them?
PH

Do you have a minute ;-). First of all I'm a bicycle nutcase that as an
mechanical engineer can appriciate nice bikes and well made parts.
Second I believe in dedicated bikes for every kind of riding for optimal
riding experience so here we go:

My workhorse, ugly, heavy but functional and with good parts
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LX...k/IMG_1968.JPG

Light touring bike often used for commute when only a briefcase to carry
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vH...k/IMG_1969.JPG

Foul weather road bike often with a rear fender (SKS race blade)
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-dI...k/IMG_1929.JPG

Carbon fiber 6.8 kg (with my light wheelset) 'feel good' road bike
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-O9...ScottCR1_2.JPG

Roadbike with aluminum frame, bought when the BB shell came loose of my
CF roadbike and I thought that would be the end of that frame.They
repaired it beautifully under warranty and returned the frame within 3
weeks. So at the end I had an extra frame which ended up after a while
as an extra roadbike
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DY...timateAl_2.JPG

Full suspension ATB for rough terrain and hard frozen off road use
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BN...onNerveXC9.jpg

Hard tail ATB for very muddy conditions
http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ne...%20Rohloff.jpg

Cross bike. I really like riding that bike
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mf...D10227E939.JPG

Lou
Old September 17th 13, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 18/09/13 00:26, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/16/2013 06:41 PM, James wrote:

Any ideas on how to apply a ceramic coating to an Al rim?

From what I can tell, Mavic are the only people who really made it
happen. Some others have tried, but have not been very successful, and
now Mavic have gone away from the Ceramic coating they once had,
presumably because the rim never wore out.

I know they've got some new coating system now, but from what I've read
it wears off after a year or two. My Ceramic coated rims are still like
new after about 100,000km.

What's old is new again? Not a ceramic coating but I still have an old
"Matrix" (Trek) hard-anodized rim. I don't use it because the hub is
shot and I couldn't find new parts to rebuild it (and the matching rear
with Helicomatic was gone before I got the bike.) Seems to have been a
not very successful idea...

I remember hard anodized rims. IIRC the anodizing wears off quickly by
comparison. The ceramic coating on the OP Ceramics looks like new still.

The new stuff from Mavic is what they call Exalith and now Exalith-2.

There are a few reviews. I'm not convinced yet, that it's as good as
the ceramic coating on the old OPs.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/view...042&t=12852042
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=88303

--
JS
Old September 18th 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 08:29:58 +1000, James
wrote:

On 18/09/13 00:26, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/16/2013 06:41 PM, James wrote:

Any ideas on how to apply a ceramic coating to an Al rim?

From what I can tell, Mavic are the only people who really made it
[...]

see
http://www.thomasnet.com/articles/cu...versus-ceramic
for a discussion of various aluminum coatings.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old September 18th 13, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On 18/09/13 00:26, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 09/16/2013 06:41 PM, James wrote:

Any ideas on how to apply a ceramic coating to an Al rim?

From what I can tell, Mavic are the only people who really made it
[...]

Interesting. I *think* Mavic Ceramic rims that I have, have the PEO or
MAO treatment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_...ytic_oxidation

I guess a trick would be to somehow mask off the areas you don't want
the coating.

--
JS
Old September 18th 13, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

All is clear now about the history of your latest Rohloff hubbed winter
bike. I thought it had a resemblance, though not quite identical to the disc
braked 2013 Litespeed 'cross bike on their website which is similarly clean
and without canti brake bosses. After a second look, you seem to be doing
without a rear brake. I suppose that in wet and possibly icy winter
conditions you prefer anticipation and an entirely adequate front brake
rather than full on panic stops.

I had more than a minute for your excellent guided tour of your collection.
I too have a belief in a bike for every type of riding, though with my aging
back and neck, drop-bar road bikes are more for appreciating than riding for
extended distances. Have the same problem that extra frames turn into extra
bikes that often duplicate the purpose of existing ones.

Many thanks for the nice big photos and the comments. I enjoy having a good
look at other peoples bike layout and parts choices.

PH

Old September 18th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Lou Holtman wrote:

James wrote:

[...]

Sort of off topic, but I was wandering through one of my LBSs, when I saw a nice, locally "made" Ti cross-bike -- more like made in China and assembled here. http://sagetitanium.com/sage-bikes/cyclocross/ Anyway, fun to look at, and probably a more durable option than plastic.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 18th 13, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:30:57 AM UTC-4, Jay Beattie wrote:

Sort of off topic, but I was wandering through one of my LBSs, when I saw a nice, locally "made" Ti cross-bike -- more like made in China and assembled here. http://sagetitanium.com/sage-bikes/cyclocross/ Anyway, fun to look at, and probably a more durable option than plastic.

And it's got that magic titanium ride. You know, rigid yet compliant!

On durability: A machinist I knew, who used to work for Carnegie Mellon University, owned a storage shed with a titanium roof. He said someone at the university had finished some testing on titanium sheet, and they were throwing the stuff away. He asked for it and used it for that roof.

I figure future archeologists are going to be puzzled by that.

- Frank Krygowski