Smart Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor sensor/belt for iPhone: TopeakPanobike or Polar H7?

Old October 10th 13, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Smart Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor sensor/belt for iPhone: TopeakPanobike or Polar H7?

The Topeak Panobike belt & sensor and the Polar H7 belt and sensor are just that, a belt with a sensor, using Smart Bluetooth to send heart rate date to the iPhone, which manipulates it. The iPhone also adds data from GPS, inclinometer and velocity meter to report altitude and speed data, and both Polar and Topeak make cadence and speed sensors if you want them. Topeak and Polar each supplies a free app for your iPhone to use all this functionality.

Does anyone have experience of either the Panobike or H7 heart rate sensor, or the software? I want to order one or the other and can't make up my mind. Opinions welcome. Or perhaps a link to a group where a lot of people wear HRM and I would thus find a good deal of informed opinion in the same place.

Panobike homepage at http://www.topeak.com/products/PanoBike
Polar H7 homepage at http://www.polar.com/en/products/acc...rt_rate_sensor

I'm not interest in any of the ANT types that need a dongle. No point when you already have an iPhone sitting idle in your pocket. I paid for that Smart Bluetooth, so it should work for its living.

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Old October 10th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/10/2013 8:06 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I don't have any experience with these particular sensors but one thing
that I can tell you is that the iPhone, while the display is very nice
in doors doesn't work very well outside in the sunlight. If you are
looking for something to log your data for you to refer to later then it
will be fine. But if you want to see your heart rate, for example
during the ride it may be difficult.
Old October 10th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:20:03 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
[...]

I know. I was hoping the thing would earn its keep by replacing my camera, but outside I can't see anything in the LCD to frame the shot.
Old October 10th 13, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

build a system calls the ER...

I off curse have a low level POLAR HRM and once had a Topeak pump now a Budweiser can.

The POLAR does what the print sez it will do. ?

https://www.google.com/search?site=i....C22jYO7 Tk4s
Old October 10th 13, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

or try

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...%3B5 50%3B426
Old October 10th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

soory, I'm sturgling with Windows 8

https://www.google.com/search?site=i....c0_ EzkNAqFY

Old October 11th 13, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

It's a shame because it takes pretty decent pictures.

--
duane
Old October 11th 13, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:06:37 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

never heard of panobike; used polar for nearly 20 years- good reliable product in my experience- I'd reckon, based on that experience, they'd have the better solution for what you want.
Old October 11th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 11, 2013 12:18:23 AM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

It's not the only one. I bought an Olympus camera with a super zoom and a super macro on impulse, and the thing takes wonderful photographs, but in sunlight I can't see a thing on the LCD. I'm going back to my Digital Ixus 300, an early Canon digital camera, which has a zooming analogue viewfinder in addition to the LCD. Thank God I didn't sell it when I got the Olympus, or when I got the iPhone. It ain't surplus to requirements after all!

Andre Jute
Old October 11th 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:08:36 PM UTC+1, datakoll wrote:
build a system calls the ER...

I off curse have a low level POLAR HRM and once had a Topeak pump now a Budweiser can.

Lucky you! I've always considered Polar HRM too flash and expensive, and my Topeak minipump, which works well, was a gift from the makers of my Kranich.

My current HRM, about ten years old, is a Sigma PC9, about a third the price of an equivalent Polar. It replaced a Ciclosport HAC4 which clocked out the day after its 3-year guarantee ran out...

The POLAR does what the print sez it will do. ?

I don't know. I'm trying to discover if the Polar H7, together with my emergency phone, is a cheap solution of just the beginning of more trouble and frustration.

Andre Jute