Custom optics..

Old October 16th 13, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Custom optics..

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:23:08 PM UTC-4, David Scheidt wrote:
James wrote:

:I didn't know that. I'm curious now how they keep the LED cool enogh.
: They need to dissipate about 2-3 Watts I presume. Is the LED mounted
n an Al pedestal or something?

It's mounted on something, yes. I've not taken apart.

The top of the Cyo headlamp is metal (aluminum, I think) to which the LED is mounted. It forms the LED's heat sink, and is exposed to forced air cooling when the bike's in motion. It also acts as a sort of "eyebrow" to keep glare out of the rider's eyes. The LED is close to the front, and faces backwards into the reflector. The front lens is unfaceted. The reflector does most, perhaps all, of the beam shaping.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 16th 13, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

have a Black Diamind table light does light backwars...excellent...switch blew out...

off the top seems backwards focus thru clear lens may give more output thru less focus friction thru complex lens but more difficult quality control

there's a to

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...TORS+FOR+FOCUS
Old October 16th 13, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

James wrote:

:I didn't know that. I'm curious now how they keep the LED cool
enogh. : They need to dissipate about 2-3 Watts I presume. Is the
LED mounted n an Al pedestal or something?

It's mounted on something, yes. I've not taken apart.

The top of the Cyo headlamp is metal (aluminum, I think) to which the
LED is mounted. It forms the LED's heat sink, and is exposed to
forced air cooling when the bike's in motion. It also acts as a sort
of "eyebrow" to keep glare out of the rider's eyes. The LED is close
to the front, and faces backwards into the reflector. The front lens
is unfaceted. The reflector does most, perhaps all, of the beam
shaping.

Thanks. Got the mental image now.

--
JS
Old October 16th 13, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

James wrote:
On 15/10/13 23:09, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, October 14, 2013 10:33:06 PM UTC+1, James wrote:
I emailed a company that makes lenses for LEDs about the
possibility of having a lens made to create a beam shape
similar to that of a car low beam headlight. Here's the reply...

snip

/snip

Key word in their response was "similar."

So it's possible, but a little costly for a low volume application.

There's likely a company in China that would do it for half the
price!

You bet, especially if the beam specs are as loose as "similar shape as car
low beam."

That's pretty cheap, actually, for prototype work in Europe. When I
wanted a fully triangulated bike built out of small diameter
double-butted thinwall stainless steel tube, the only people
interested quoted Euro 90k for the first prototype, and wanted to own
the design or load the proto fee further. If they had knocked off a
zero, or had the sense to offer me royalties if I let them have the
design, something I understand because I've done it all my life, I
might have gone for it. As it was, this happened just when Chalo told
me I was making a mistake in dismissing Utopia as an off-the shelf
supplier of a bicycle functionally very near to what I wanted, and
when i took another look at Utopia's bikes, I chose instant
gratification rather than a two-year development process, and have
been very happy since.

Yeah, I was expecting the order of magnitude they quoted. I've had
various things fabricated as part of my day job, and the amounts are not
out of the ball park by any means.

Generally speaking -- though i might be teaching my grandmother to
suck eggs -- it pays to design your own ideal unit or component of
whatever, because it clarifies what exactly you want in your mind,
and then for economy to buy the nearest thing available off the
shelf.

I guess it's the availability and suitability of "the nearest thing"
that is a problem. There's a plastics manufacturing company I've worked
with nearby that might be able to help fabricate a one off for me to
tinker with. I've seen the basic design of the collimator from the
company I emailed. It doesn't look very difficult to "copy" and modify.

Go ahead... but if you don't know what a Cyo looks like, you probably
haven't seen these lenses either:
Axa Pico-30
Axa Echo-30
Hella/Spanninga HL2000/Supra-XTL
Supernova Tearofflux-2

Old October 16th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Andre Jute wrote:

But it comes as a nasty, expensive surprise to roadies with

their bare wheels that expensive German lamps aren't even as
waterproof as basic Chinese lamps... BUMM, weirdly for a company
all of whose products are for bicycles, vehicles open to the
elements, have zero idea about how water flows.

Why don't they simply ask their neighbor, that wheel nazi company?

http://www.otto-fuchs.com/en/company...co-int-kg.html

Old October 16th 13, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:44:51 PM UTC+1, Sepp Ruf wrote:
James wrote:

[...]

Smart thinking, Sepp, but it's a bit difficult for James even to see these lamps without ordering them from 12000 miles away at substantial postage and import costs. He lives in Australia.

Andre Jute
Old October 16th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

james could dig one up..

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ell=1&tbm=isch
Old October 16th 13, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:49:37 AM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
james could dig one up..

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ell=1&tbm=isch

water drainage probs may relate to quality control/assembly or maybe the Chnese doahn care
Old October 16th 13, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

datakoll wrote:
james could dig one up..

Postage from Foshan to his place in Southern China is domestic, isn't it? eg
http://sbc.ithey.com/uploadimg/3(2).jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending their products.

Old October 16th 13, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

The post below from Gene Daniels came with a notice from Google offering to:

"Translate message to English"

LOL. Only what I, and others, have been saying for years.

Andre Jute