Another cyclist killed in the lane

Old September 11th 15, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Another cyclist killed in the lane

In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 11th 15, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/09/2015 10:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

Not to jump on the Danger! Danger! bandwagon but most of the close calls
that I've had in the last couple of years have been exactly something
like this. Car/Truck/SUV passing when it's not safe. Upcoming turn,
topping a hill or whatever.

I think it has very little to do with lane positioning and a lot to do
with impatient drivers.
Old September 11th 15, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-11 7:44 AM, Duane wrote:
On 11/09/2015 10:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

Not to jump on the Danger! Danger! bandwagon but most of the close calls
that I've had in the last couple of years have been exactly something
like this. Car/Truck/SUV passing when it's not safe. Upcoming turn,
topping a hill or whatever.

I think it has very little to do with lane positioning and a lot to do
with impatient drivers.

Not just impatient ones, also distracted and inexperienced drivers. All
it takes is misjudging the speed or width of an oncoming vehicle. This
is the first kind of accident I witnessed as a kid while bicycling to
school but the cyclist in front of me was lucky and was "only" pushed
into the ditch. Driver fled the scene, was caught because I noted all
details, I witnessed in court, and then they let the guy go with a warning!

Old September 11th 15, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

prob rain soon .....
Old September 11th 15, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/09/2015 10:54 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2015-09-11 7:44 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

I guess distracted drivers may still want to pass in a blind turn but
mostly I've seen it with impatient ones, or drivers that have an issue
with bikes on the road. You can tell by the way they punch it or the
way they're sitting on their horn at the time.

We had to ride into the brush once but usually it's just a matter of
braking to let the idiot past when he moves over and you see a blind turn.
Old September 11th 15, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-11 7:44 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

Over the last couple of years I've only had to bail once. Luckily I was
on an MTB where barreling through a ditch with coarse rocks did not
result in a nasty crash but I was able to come out on the other side
unscathed. On my road bike that would have been another story. I vowed
never to ride that road again other than in my car. Well, except last
Tuesday :-)

Old September 11th 15, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-09-11 9:51 AM, wrote:
prob rain soon .....

Rain? Where? Yesterday the view out of my office window looked more like
this:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...e34757922.html

Old September 11th 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mecca...

http://www.agweb.com/weather/cumulative-rainfall/

Old September 12th 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2015 10:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

And the lesson is what? We should ride only in the gutter?

BTW, in the U.S. about 4500 pedestrians are killed every year. IIRC,
most are in crosswalks. Let the fear mongering begin!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 12th 15, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:30:31 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

Driver Rajesh Wadhava...

OK, another crappy driver who grew up in a country where cars aren't
the norm.